Would you buy dvc VGF if you were me?

jecon

Mouseketeer
We go to WDW every year (we trade off- one year long weekend followed by a 5 night trip the next year) and stay at the GF club level. Since 2008, I am guessing we've spent around $25,000. It seems to me like we should consider VGF, but I want to make sure our experience is similar to what we are used to now. It seems like after six years we would basically have our vacations paid for in the future but I don't want to give up access to CL. It's a part of our trip we really take advantage of. Help! What would you DVC experts out there do?

If the CL service is important to you, IMO, you will not be happy with DVC. It is unlikely that concierge service will be offered at VGF.

Keep in mind that DVC is a timeshare and the room rehabs will not occur as frequently as they do for the deluxe resorts.

It will take quite a long while for VGF to sell out - as you know, they haven't even announced a sales start date yet. My advice is to check out the models and point charts the next time you are on-site. Perhaps the actual numbers and models will help you decide if you are willing to trade concierge service for DVC. I think you will need to see the models and the actual numbers to make a good decision for yourself.

The only CL level at any current DVC is at AKV Jambo House. You have to typically own there to get it because there are so few of them and you need the 11 month booking window to get it. I have heard rumors that GFV will be all CL but have a hard time believing that. I do believe there will be a CL level though. If that is important to you then it would be worth considering.

BLT is now selling for $165 per point and most people expect GFV to start selling somewhere in that range.

What CL services/characteristics do you particularly appreciate: Booking dining/events/experiences? Free snacks? Free beverages? Networking with the other CL guests? Relaxing in the lounge setting? The exclusivity? Chatting with the CL CMs? Other?

In some ways, my CL-loving hubby is fully satisfied by DVC stays vs CL.
  • Our DVC villa provides sufficient space to spread out, keep things organized, and feel pampered. It becomes our own, private, lounge. We book a 1BR unit when traveling alone as a couple, a 2BR unit if traveling with a guest, and a Grand Villa if travelling with two other couples as guests.
  • My husband can reach for snacks and beverages from our villa's kitchen whenever he pleases.
  • We sometimes invite a few friends to visit with us at the unit. (Addresses the networking aspect. As these friends are usually crammed into the Dolphin or Swan hotel rooms, they are always favorably impressed by our lovely 1BR at the Boardwalk.)
  • Exclusivity? Well, not quite -- but since he loves having the space and jetted tub of the 1BR and larger units, I don't hear him complaining for lack of CL.
Just a few thoughts ...

Thanks everyone for the advice. :) I think I will have to tour one to really see if it's for us (hopefully there will be one to tour this November!). I don't care much about the exclusivity or having the CM book things for us, but I do like all other aspects of the CL. The idea though of being able to stretch out in a living room would be really nice. Seeing it and the price I think will help guide our decision.

We go to WDW every year (we trade off- one year long weekend followed by a 5 night trip the next year) and stay at the GF club level. Since 2008, I am guessing we've spent around $25,000. It seems to me like we should consider VGF, but I want to make sure our experience is similar to what we are used to now. It seems like after six years we would basically have our vacations paid for in the future but I don't want to give up access to CL. It's a part of our trip we really take advantage of. Help! What would you DVC experts out there do?
Personal decision. If you just want to be at GF and are OK without the CL, with a slightly lower level of service and can give up housekeeping, and can plan and book 11 months out most trips, it may be for you. Just investigate so you know what you are and are not getting.

Keep in mind that the biggest financial component of a DVC purchase are the annual maintenance fees. We talk a lot on here about having DVC "pay for itself" but really what we are referring to is the buy in cost.

I don't want to give up access to CL. It's a part of our trip we really take advantage of. Help! What would you DVC experts out there do?

Just wanted to add that the reason AKV Jambo House has CL is because they modified regular rooms in the main lodge when they started to sell Kidani. I have also heard rumors that GFV will do much the same thing so they actually have something to sell before they finish construction on the villas. Although if that were truly the case I think there would be some evidence of that.

They haven't started selling anything yet and we don't know what the price will be or the incentives. If there will be CL is yet to be seen. Stay tuned.

See what DVC has to offer there and if it fits what you so enjoy now, go for it! It will be a while before it ends up in resale.

Sounds like your family really enjoys it there! We like it too, but know we won't have the cash to purchase direct, and that's the only way we'd do it. I'm looking forward to seeing it!! The video posted in another thread (from the roof top) just pumped me all up!!

Just as another piece of information to consider, its possible that they may allow guests to purchase concierge lounge privileges even if they are staying in the villas. At the Villas at the Grand Californian, some have mentioned that for a daily fee added to the room they wanted and got the concierge lounge access/benefits. They may work out a similar deal for the VGF, or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter