Worst Valentine's Day

We got a box of Merci chocolate from our Financial Advisor. So unexpected and not really bad. But that was about it.

We've been married for 45 years. We've never bought gifts or celebrated with a dinner out. It's daily life that shows true love and not one special day set aside to remind people to buy gifts and go out for dinner.

If you are feeling lonely and the day is rough for you, you are doing that to yourself. I’m not saying you’re wrong for feeling that way, but there is no need to. It’s a made up holiday and it’s super fake.

There shouldn’t need to be a day to prompt your spouse or significant other to treat you nice. If you do, then I feel sorry for you the other 364 dats of the year (365 this year..leap year.

Ok, next in line for the soapbox can have it now lol
I wasn't speaking about myself. I am far from lonely. I was talking about other people who seem to set so much store in having someone and doing something special on this day. It puts a ton of pressure on people who are not so secure.

I feel that people should treat each other well every day. To me, it's just a very commercial day and it does get to me when I hear people complain when someone attempts to do something nice for them and it doesn't meet their expectations.

I just want to say that Valentine's Days when our sons were in school were a night mare. Making your son sit down and sign his name on a "gazillion" Valentine's day cards that ended up in the little envelopes taped to the desks at school............was a night mare! :love:

First, let me say I am sorry for those of you have experienced a loss on or around this day. I lost my mom just before Valentine's Day when I was 24.

That being said, I think those of you have someone to spend this day with are very lucky. There are so many who aren't as lucky. Be happy you have someone. A less than perfect dinner or event is nothing compared to the loneliness this so called holiday brings to many.
I'm pretty sure my husband considers himself quite lucky..that doesn't mean that in the early days he wasn't like "yeah hunny if you could not buy me more boxers I've got enough"..

Sometimes people really truly are ungrateful but I find that to be a personality thing not something reliant on a Holiday such that this thread is about. Aside from the deaths mentioned in this thread (which are quite sobering) I'm fairly certain this thread was supposed to be more light-hearted not that people are sitting here not seeing that they still have someone.

But let's be honest saying "you have someone be happy about that you're not lonely" is a pretty awful thing to say to someone in the context that you've framed. Not all relationships are the same. Some people are in ones that are terrible for one reason or another and by terrible I don't mean that someone gave them the wrong kind of flowers on a random day that's been designated a holiday..

I just want to say that Valentine's Days when our sons were in school were a night mare. Making your son sit down and sign his name on a "gazillion" Valentine's day cards that ended up in the little envelopes taped to the desks at school............was a night mare! :love:
Ugh I remember agonizing when I was a kid on just what boxed cards to buy :rotfl2:

We've been married for 45 years. We've never bought gifts or celebrated with a dinner out. It's daily life that shows true love and not one special day set aside to remind people to buy gifts and go out for dinner.
By that logic there should never be a need to celebrate any special event or what one deems as a special event.

Certainly some people opt to not celebrate anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's Day or any other day--by your comments you've got to be one of those people who doesn't celebrate anniversaries, birthdays and Christmas along with Valentine's Day right?

My very first Valentines Day with my DH I was dreaming of a romantic, special evening. He made reservations and surprised me.

We went to the King Henry’s Feast, or some such thing. We were seated at these long tables, with lots of people, and then they brought the mass-produced food. The “fun” aspect is that we weren’t given any utensils. It was a raucous time 😂

If I hadn’t been expecting the height of Romance win a capital R, it would have been fine...

I've had over the top St. Valentine's Days, quiet ones, and bad ones.
I no longer recall the bad ones in full detail and have to think hard to bring them to the fore.
For my life that's a good thing:).

However this doesn't change the reality that last Friday the man presented me with a floral arrangement that included red roses. After over 20 years you'd think he'd remember that I despise them...sighhh.
Oh well, back to "re-edjumaction" school fer his butt:lmao:.

I have no one to celebrate with it was a sad day
But me and my poodle had a dinner and watched old Andy Griffith shows
I keep praying and I know things will get better
I didn’t want to love your comment but I want to show you some love 💕 I am inspired by your optimism and I do believe things will get better!

:laughing: I LOVED doing that with DS - I haven't thought about it in a long while. I'm chuckling remembering how hard he labored to find the very nicest card and use perfect printing on the one for the girl he was sweetest on. He put equally as much effort into making sure the cards he gave to girls with cooties didn't imply undue affection and of course, we had to have a separate set of cards (super heroes or transformers or something) for the boys. Good times !! :goodvibes

That just sounds like childhood to me.

DH & I don't really celebrate Valentine's Day and that's fine with me. :)

We did try to the first year we together. DH bought Philharmonic tickets as a surprise and then his surprise was ruined because at the last minute snow collapsed part of the roof of the concert venue!

Another year I was in second trimester pre-term labor on Valentine's Day. That was definitely the worst one.

This year DS was getting over the flu while DH was in the early stages of a sinus infection. Good times! ;)

We went out for dinner as a family - DH, myself and two teen dd's. It's DH's birthday so Valentines Day doesn't get a look in. We don't really have a wedding anniversary either as it's DD2's birthday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter