• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worried about Grad Nights at MK

tx2tn

"What fortuitous circumstance be this"
I just received my copy of the All Ears Weekly Newsletter and I am now worried about something.

My wife and I are going to WDW for our 5th Anniversary. We arrive on May 6th. I have reservation at The California Grill at just the right time to watch the sun set over the Princesses' Castle. Just like we did 5 years ago. I was also hoping to then go to the MK and dance with my bride in front of the castle. :love:

Anyway, this newsletter states that May 6th is something called Grad Night at the Magic Kingdom. Since we were already going to be at The Contemporary, we wanted to go to the MK after dinner.

Can you guys tell me about Grad Night? Do I need to change my plans? I really didn't want to be overwhelmed by a convention of HS Graduates. Is the park still open to other guests? What about the other parks, will they be crowded because of this?

Any help will be appreciated.

Chuck

================

2001 Honeymoon CSR
2006 Anniversary POFQ

What a lovely romantic idea!

Unfortunately Grad night is a closed event. We were there one year and they do close the park and only those with a special ticket can enter. It's something they do for the kids in the Orlando area.

Seems to me it was a fairly early closing too, like 4 or 5 PM... but I don't always trust my memory! Just be glad you know about it in advance and can plan around it.

Epcot should still be open and Illuminations can be very romantic... although I understand it's not exactly repeating your "moment".

They still do the fireworks at MK -- although I'm not sure you could get the exact time -- but maybe a boat to watch them would be nice. Or a walk on the beach by the Poly to watch from there.

Believe me, any woman would be glad just to know her guy was planning something special for her anniversary...
so you can pretty much count on her being thrilled no matter what you plan.

Have a wonderful time!

Is there a Master calendar somewhere with all the stuff on it like this Grad night so that I can be better prepared next time?

Chuck

We arive May 6th too. Both friday and Sat night MK closes early because of grad nights, and is open until 3 am or later for the grads. (closed event as Rella Bella mentioned.)

We were there last year at this time. Grad nights really do not disrut much. Since you arive on Saturday (as us this time) it is mostly over. Hop on the monorail and Head to Ecpot.

We have ADR's at 1900 park fare that night. We weren't planing on hitting a park that day since, but might (if we buy AP.)

Really Grad night isn't that big of a deal. If you look at the disney site it will give you the hours. Most of the grads are sleeping during the day so it doesn't change that much. Can you change our ADR to Sunday night? There won't be fire works at MK that night until midnight.

We ate at Poly last year and had a great view of MK. Sadly there wasn't fireworks either because of gradnights.

Honestly, there is always something going on at WDW. If it isn't grad night it is cheer leaders, shcools out in England, Jersy week, gay days, the list goes on...............

MK is open 9am-7pm that night so it's closing earlier than normal.

I'm sorry to say that the Magic Kingdom will close that night (May 6) at 7pm. It reopens a little later for Grad Night as a special ticket event for high school seniors. As best I can tell, there are no fireworks scheduled for that night. You can find a calendar on the WDW website with park hours and if you click on a specific day, you can get a schedule of events (parades, fireworks, etc). Here's a link to the calendar.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...alendarParkHoursMonthlyViewPage&date=20060501

Hope this doesn't put to much of a dent in your plans. Could you reschedule your dinner for another night?

Chuck,

We will be there 4/30-5/9. On Sunday, 5/7, MK is open regular hours and I think there is a Spectro parade that night, too, so would it be possible to switch your res for the next night?? Disappointing, I know... :sad2:

Have a great trip and :thumbsup2 for the romance factor. I'll have to read your post to DH and kick start him. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter