• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Wonderful surprise!

snookhams

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I have a wonderful surprise yesterday, DS 14 had entered me into the Sun newspaper & Asda wondermum competition - and I recieved a phone call to say that I had won the Local branch of Asda heat, and the letter he wrote will go on to the judges of the regional heats with each region choosing one letter - all regional finalist win a weekend at DLP(so keep your fingers crossed for us).

I have just read the letter that he wrote for the competiton with tear streaming down my face - I am so proud of him, I have pasted it below so that you can read it. I go tomorrow to collect my trophy and prize! and will know by the 2nd March if I have gone any further!

My name is xxxxxx xxxxxxx. I am 6ft 3 and only 14 years of age. I am a national swimmer who has been told that if I keep up my training, then I could be swimming at London 2012. I am nominating my mother, xxxxxx xxxxxxx, who is the woman who I appreciate the most. Every week, I swim every evening and in Gala’s some weekends, sometimes I swim both on the Saturday and the Sunday. My mum is amazing. She works at Valentines high school as a Food Technician, yet she still manages to rush and pick my brother up from St Margaret’s Primary school, and get home to start cooking dinner. Every day when I walk in at 4:10, she has dinner in the oven and is always asking how school was, never thinking about herself, so that we can rush out of the door by 5.00 p.m. to take me to training. She goes without a lot so she can help find the money to cover my training fees, Gala Fees and saves so that she can get me ‘Fastskins’ (speedo costumes that cost between £150 and £350 each) and my brother with his swimming lessons. She also works hard so we can go on holiday each year. On top of all this she is Assistant Warden at our church, is on the swimming club committee and types, edits and writes the clubs newsletter as well as typing Gala reports to be sent to the local newspapers, and if after this she has any spare time it is spent writing to local companies etc., regarding sponsorship for the club and myself so that swimmers can reach their full potential regardless of whether the parents can afford it or not.

It is not unusual for Mum to be up before everyone else doing the ironing, or even baking muffins or bread, and the other morning I found her on the computer researching nutritional recipes, suitable for teenage sportsmen so that I can fulfil my full potential when competing. When I do compete she has a saying, that she tells me whenever I go to get changed- she says ‘ do your best, I don’t care if you come first or last as long as you have done your best’ she also tells me that this is a good way to live my life, ‘because we can’t all be winners but we can all be the best we can’

As my father doesn’t drive, so she is a general taxi service for Matthew and I and sometimes drops me at training and then Matthew at Cubs before coming back to watch me swim and collect me before dashing back to pick up Matthew!

She is always trying to buy us clothes so that we don’t have to walk out of the house in our underwear, not an easy task if you are tall and thin!. I can not even remember the last time that she bought herself something., in fact she did not even have a present from us for her 40th Birthday last year, she said that she would treat herself when we could afford it, but I don’t think she did.

Last year my dad was made redundant, but my mum worked even harder so that we could do the same things as before. It was a hard 9 months for her, although my Dad is now working he travels 2 hours each way to work so there is more pressure put on Mum, because Dad is not around as much to help with us or the housework.

I want to show her how much she means to me and my brother by entering her in this competition. I know that she may not win but if she did I would be so happy for her and so grateful to Asda for giving her a chance to give herself something without having to worry about if me and my brother need anything

How absolutely wonderful, congratulaetions on raising such a thoughtful, articulate and unselfish Son. There are too many kids these days that take evrything for granted, yours sounds like he really appreciates the sacrifices you've made. I hope that letter makes your year, never mind justthe day and loads of luck for the finals. That has truly moved me :grouphug:

How wonderful and what a credit your son is to you. Whether you win the Nationals or not, you are obviously a winner to him.

Congratulations - not just for winning your local heat, but for having such a lovely son.

What a beautiful letter he sent,you must be very proud. :)

Congratulations on winning. :Pinkbounc

Congratulation :cheer2:
I was nearly crying whilst reading this at work. What a wonderful thoughtful son you have :Pinkbounc

Congratulations!! :cheer2:

You sound like supermum!! I cant even imagine how you do all of that!! :)

That is such a lovely letter ~ You must be so proud of your DS :goodvibes

Congratulations on winning :thumbsup2

What a wonderful, moving and well written letter - you must be very proud of your sons

You are certainly a Supermum in my book. I feel quite exhausted just reading about your week!

Enjoy your prize and good luck in the next round :thumbsup2

You have every right to be proud of him, that's a wonderful letter! Congratulations on wining your local heat, fingers crossed that you win the whole thing! :goodvibes

what a wonderful son you have what alovely thing to do :sunny:

Thank you so much - I am really proud of both my son's, I still can't believe that he wrote such an articulate letter, I go this afternoon to collect my Trophy and have my pic taken for local paper!

You're right, that is a very articulate letter for a 14 year old, you should be very proud right now. A great son and a fab mum by what I've read, hope you get all the way to DLP :sunny:

Claire xx

That letter & gesture should make you more proud (or almost more!) than an Olympic gold in 2012! :goodvibes

:sunny:

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter