• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Feb 18--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
Originally Posted by TigerLily03
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Team

Abra Cat Kristi NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
angietuck2 Angie FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
cdn gal eeyore Leana Alberta
Chernabog#1Fan FL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload Dawn GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
deekaypee ND
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey and Andrew IA
donac Dona NJ
DreamBeliever
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice Duane FL
eeyore45 Sandy IL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
FungLu Brett OR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gsu1988 Ken GA
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
jam217 PA
JCTigger Jill MA
Jen117 Jen WI
jodistar Jodi CT
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
panthergirl Susan NC
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks Vicki IL
twotoohappy Liz MA
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

Training post - I just completed an awesome run! I went 3.65 mi in 46:25 (12:43 min/mi) - which considering as though I am just starting out after a long hiatus, that pace felt really good. I ran the same route on Thursday, but in the opposite direction, in 49:17 (13:30 min/mi). Maybe swapping the direction had something to do with it? On Thursday I tackled a big hill near the beginning of my run, this way the hill was more towards the middle of the run. Regardless, it felt great! My bum ankle has been keeping up with the runs as well - I'm taking it easy, but I think I'm getting past the fear that I'll injure it again.

My official 15K training plan starts Feb 26th. Hopefully as my mileage goes up I'll keep seeing improvements (and hopefully the numbers on the scale will go down).

Christy - congratulations on the run - that's awesome!
Maggie - I hope your neck starts to feel better. That has happened to me before, so I know its painful!
nucpharm29 - Good luck deciding on which race to run. My cousin ran the Flying Pig last year, and is running this year, and I've heard it is a lot of fun. I however, opted for Minnie..!! Guys can run the Minnie too though.
TXAng - Glad you are joining us in January! Good luck with your first 5K.

Best of luck to all of you that are racing this weekend! Let us know how it goes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Taper Madness! Maybe that's why I've been eating non-stop all week...or maybe the cold weather since I tend to eat like I'm hibernating in the winter.

Anyway, 8 miles today in 1:37:23 for a 12:10 pace :car: My 5 mile split was a new record at 59:23. And I got to use the new 205 DH got me for VD :lovestruc Definitely seem to run better when it's cold!

I do think I'm making a mistake trying to push the 5 mile split time. I think I'm pushing too hard to get in under one hour and forgetting that there's often a whole lotta running left.

Congrats to all of our racers today and :wizard: for those racing tomorrow!

:welcome: DreamBeliever!

Dave...way too scary!!! Glad you're okay!

We went to the Under Armour outlet a couple weeks ago...found some new WISH team equipment:

77486Image020-med.jpg

Well, I think we've decided on Minnie!:cool1: But it's not official yet--need to make sure that I've got sitters (aka my parents) for the kiddos for the long weekend!

Official race results were posted this afternoon. I actually finished in 1:23:42; 8:59/mile.:cool1: It looks like I also finished 2nd in my age division--wonder if they'll send the award here--they're really cool water bottles with the race info on it! We'll see!!

Good luck Jim and Angie tomorrow!!

Mel--gotta have those!!!!

Wow, Stephanie! You were flying! Great run!:woohoo:

I've been eating all week too but I don't have an excuse.:confused3 This has been a rough two weeks. I have 3 boys and I *think* the last of the sickness is finally leaving the house. (Where's the cross your fingers smilie?)

I want my normal weeks back.

So I'm planning on that happening next week with a starting run Monday morning.:thumbsup2 Otherwise we'll be back at the pediatrician's!

Mel-- I'm afraid. Very afriad. Tha's just not right. It looks downright painful, albeit in a lovely shade of lime. ;) :scared1:

Happy weekend, everyone! Best of luck on the races!:cheer2:

Mel - I think I will stick with the lime green Target sports bra. No butt floss for me! :rotfl:
I do wonder what you looked like, taking a picture of a thong in a store...:lmao:

You didn't happen to see any zebra stripped ones, did you?

Mel - :lmao: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl: That seem like it would hurt!

Stephanie! :banana: :banana: :banana: WTG! You were booking it! Are you planning on doing the marathon in 08??? Maybe I could try to keep up with you!:cheer2:

Lots of :hug: and :wizard: to all the racers tomorrow! I cannot wait to read the reports!

Tinks - Lots of PD to you...I hope all your fam starts feeling better!

WOW GoofyGuy! You fly!

Here I am reading the boards when I should be studying my script for tomorrow...I have tons of lines I must know by tomorrow!:scared1:

Hi Everyone! Can I join the team too:goodvibes

I just signed up for the 1/2 with a friend of mine who will be helping me train. We're also going to do the 5k the day before just for fun, but that'll just be a walk one probably. Depending on my shape will be how much walking and running we'll do in January:rolleyes1

Just a little about me. I've been with W.I.S.H. for a couple of years, but never imagined doing any kind of race. Now that I've dropped most of my extra weight, I'm ready to try something new. I started W.I.S.H. at 197 pounds and I'm at 127 about 2 years later. I dropped 30 pounds the first 6 months and then just coasted and was content until I saw a picture from one of my vacations:scared1: I started working out full force a year ago Sept. and dropped another 30 over the next 6 months. I've kept it off for almost a year and have managed to drop another 10 in the process of maintaining. Other than my weightloss stuff, I'm a happy single mom of dd11 and we love going to visit or homes at BCV and VWL!

I'm going to try and get some shorter runs in before January also:thumbsup2

Morning team! Rest day here (or should I say, talk my parents into watching the kids so we can go Minnie day!;) )

Christa--yeah, we're (Dh and I ) are planning to do Mickey in '08. Don't know if I can keep that pace up for the whole 26.2--We'll see two weeks from today what my body is capable of!

Mel--forgot to ask--Where is the UnderArmour outlet??? Please tell me it's in Ellenton--we always make a trip there on our Siesta Key vacation. But just to be clear, I'm not wanting to know to go purchase the lime green butt-floss.

liz--Welcome to our madness! WTG on the weight loss!!

Oh, and I meant to mention yesterday, if anyone is in the market for new running socks, I highly reccommend WrightSocks for running. They are heavenly, double layered, wicking and 100% guaranteed against blisters!!!

Good Morning Team!!!!!!

How did everyone do on the races this weekend???

Mel::scared1:

Cdn_gal: Great workout

Twotoohappy: A big welcome to ya and congrats on the weightloss.....AMAZING!!!!!!

nucpharm29: Glad to hear you are joining us (fingers crossed) for the Minnie....good luck in asking the parents. Also congrats on 2nd Place:woohoo:

Sorry I didn't catch up on last weeks thread but was really lazy this weekend, except for my 4M on Friday and weight workout Sat, muscles are sore today, Ididn't think I over did it but I am feeling it today.

Not too much on the training front today, Daytona and Curling championships on so just the TV converter getting a workout.

Have a awesome day all

:welcome: Liz! Amazing weight loss! What type of training program are you using?

Stephanie...yep, up in Ellenton. I don't get up there much, but that's the first time I've seen the UnderArmour store. There's a Nike outlet and Reebok too. Congrats on your race finish! :cool1:

Leana...great pace on your run! How do you pronounce your name? I'm reading it as "Lee-anna".

Kristi...:rotfl: DD14 took the picture with my cell phone. Don't remember any zebra, but I'll have to check into it. Definitely would go with the zebra running skirts ;)

Vicki...:wizard: for some normalcy.

Kim...curling is fun to watch, but not sure I really understand it. When you play, are you the broom person?

Christa...break a leg!

Lynnda...yikes! Big baby! Are they changing your C-section date?

Thinking about Ange and Jim this morning at Gasparilla. Not sure what the weather is like in Tampa (we're about 50 miles south), but it's cold with a wicked-cold wind, sustained at about 20mph, gusts are up to 30mph.

Hi Mel:

I do alot of sweeping but I am also the person that throws the first 2 rocks. Then I sweep the rest of the time, it is actually a great workout. I always loved to watch it but appreciate how good some of these people are now that I actually play it is very hard to be as acturate as they are.

Kim

Mel: be afraid. Be VERY afraid. That looks like it would hurt!! :scared:

Liz: :welcome: I've only been on these boards for a couple months and LOVE them.

Monte: hmmmm. Craig is adament that he will NOT attempt the Leadville marathon. I would love to try walking the half. Maybe my sister would like to attempt this with me. Good luck to you!

Stephanie: congrats on the great result!! :woohoo:

Today's workout: bike and lift. My hip did very well after yesterday's Gerbil run and it continues to feel good this morning. :banana: Yea!! 20-30 minutes on the bike then some weight work is all I really should do today.

Then, of course, there is the grocery shopping, laundry and cleaning to do. Tomorrow is a holiday for us so I think I'll do a short run...probably on the TM.

Love to hear more about the races people ran!

Total :car:
I was scheduled to do a 5k race per Hal Higdon. Since the track is 1/7 a of mile, the .1 was way too much math for me to figure out! So, I did 3 miles:
11:54
11:52
11:55
35:43

I reallt wanted to go faster, but just couldn't. At least I was rested and ate a really good breakfast, so I didn't feel like I was dying the whole time like I did during my other wogs this week.

Off to buy some tupperware at my sister's party that I don't need! :)

Good Morning WISH Team!!!!
This is the week I am going to try to stay up with the veteran posters. This thread moves way to fast.

Over the past two weeks I have been working on my endurance. I have been following a beginners running plan from Runnersworld.com. This 8 week program has me working up from Run 1/Walk 3 to a Run 29 walk 1 plan. The last two days I did the Run 4/walk1 x6. It felt pretty good. Today is a rest day but I may do some sloe walking on the DTM just for the sake of moving. Since we are also heading to a Daytona 500 Party (no wonder I am over weight when my favorite car is the M&M car) I may need to walk off some junk.

I have been walking the DTM utilizing the heart monitor feature on my Forerunner 305. I have been keeping my HR at 65% to 75% of MHR. This is allowing me to burn some more fat as well as work on building endurance. Over the past week of doing this I have been able to keep my HR in the 65/75 range while increasing my speed. Has anyone else done any HR training?

The walk more at work and taking the stairs instead of the elevator is working out great too. Last week I did not use the elevator at all. This included going to a meeting that involved taking a brisk 5 block walk through New Brunswick in the sub-arctic temperatures followed by a 7 story walk up to the meeting lugging my laptop bag. I think having my Bright Yellow Half Marathon jacket on helped.

Mel – I think I will have to pass on the new WISHwear item. I would have to lose way too much weight!!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Dave – Sorry to hear about your run in with the moron in the car. I give you a lot of credit. If it was me I would have been a lot less forgiving.

Liz – :welcome:

Can everyone type slower so I can keep up this week?:laughing: :laughing:

Later,
John

Big Vic-- Don't you dare be down on yourself. 8 is great! Some days are like that, remember? I'm not even up to 5 yet, so I think 8 is pretty darn good.:thumbsup2 Better to have finished 8 than not to have gone 1, eh?

Red Dragon Glad to hear your hip is holding up!

John You sound like my DH. He has been eating better and taking the stairs at work and he has lost some weight this year (not that he needed to lose any, though:rolleyes: )

Happy training friends! My last ill child is up and around and looking good.:thumbsup2 I'll finally have them all back in school tomorrow and have my normal routine back:) :) Hopefully I can report in a good run tomorrow morning.

Another weekend, another race report!

Today we bring you the report from the Pensacola Marathon/Half Marathon (ran the half) in beautiful Pensacola Florida. Well at least it normally is, this morning it was easssssily in the 20s with windchill.

I hid in the car other than a brief few hundred meter warmup until 6:22, then hopped out and did my usual stretching routine until they started herding everyone up toward the start. It was on an elevated area and the wind was just blasting through there, so everyone had been huddled down by the portapotties. There was much shivering and grumbling going on, and loud complaints that anyone would pay to suffer like this. I was privy to more than one person calling me a moron behind my back for wearing shorts and suggesting I'd be catching the flu within minutes. I dunno, with my full head covered including the ears with my hat thing I usually wear snowboarding, and with gloves on and sporting my disney world marathon long sleeve tshirt from this year, I'm usually fine as soon as the race gets going.

Finally the gun came, and off we went. This was definitely not a flat course, the hills weren't crazy lengthy or killer, but there were some decently steep sections. Of course that means you also get to fly down some nice downhills. The first few miles went up along the bay with a great view of the sunrise (0630 start) and continued past a bunch of rich people's houses. We then turned NW and given the winds were out of the NW, the next few miles were pretty draining. The full marathon people had split off to do an extra 5 miles at that point, so it was only a runner every fifty yards or so to keep you company. Made you feel like a rock star when you went through a water stop though, like twenty people all trying to throw powerade at you "PICK MINE GRAB MINE TAKE MINE YESSS."

Eventually the halfway point came and we turned back toward the south which meant somewhat of a tailwind, although it seemed more swirling than anything during that section. Then came the cruelest part of any race I've done so far... Nearing the finish having run basically in a straight line south for a few miles, you can basically see the park the finish is in a quarter mile ahead, but nooooo... Instead the course makes a hard right onto one of the downtown streets, and goes at least a half a mile out, and then a half mile back to that same intersection. It was only a mile total, but that late in the race that's an awfully long mile. I was really fatigued toward the end, and partially because of that and partially due to the out and back my last mile ended up being the slowest of all. Did my usual big finish though, and with a huge gap in front of me of at least 100 meters all the spectators were basically cheering me alone across the finish. Was my 3rd fastest of the five HM's I've now done, but was a pretty strong time only 90 seconds or so off my PR.

Splits: 8:29, 8:42, 8:51, 8:57, 9:14, 9:08, 9:13, 9:09, 9:15, 9:14, 9:07, 9:07, 9:22, 1:06(.1+)
Total: 1:59:01, 9:05mpm

So under 2 hours which is great, but the real challenge lies ahead. It appears I'm on track to do another HM next weekend in New Orleans, and then TWO more the following weekend Sat/Sun in Albany, GA and Seaside, FL. Definitely never done that many long races so close together, so 4 HM's in 3 weeks is a pretty lofty goal. Something tells me my times will degrade. :eek:

Edit: Ooh forgot to mention the massive bling they gave out, a nice bronze lookin medal like 3 inches across or somethin, huge!

Good Morning/Afternoon :goodvibes

I thought I'd get started on this week's thread before it got away from me.

What an inspiring bunch you are! Reading about the walking/running times you're achieving is awesome! I love walking outdoors and wish I lived in a climate where I could walk every day! However, I live in the midwest (outside Chicago), and we're under a thick blanket of snow right now. During the winter I'm always a little apprehensive to walk because the sidewalks aren't always shoveled and the streets can be a little dangerous with the cars slip'n and slid'n. I think it's time to invest in a tredmill.

One winter exercise I enjoy is crosscountry skiing. My DH and I went yesterday for 2 hours. We have many local golf courses and forest preserves that allow us skiiers to take advantage of the open space. :cool1:

Again, congratulations on the great runs this weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter