With SSR resale prices increasing does buying direct become a closer call?

If you are buying direct and choosing a UY that gives you that maximum pro-rated points (Like the examples of buying in Aug with a Sept UY, or Buying in Nov with s Dec UY). Are you allowed to bank those points immediately despite the Normal 4 month banking rules? - Otherwise it seems to me you would have to use them within a month...

I agree. Also, speaking on a bit of the bias side of things, because I do love SSR, the recent refurbishments to almost every room makes the $160 direct price even more appealing. Combined with a tad bit lower dues per month than other places nearby (I think OKW is roughly $1..50 more in dues per point), we thought this was great deal. Again, my opinion may be partially blinded in biasness, but it seems a good deal right now direct.

We are in the process of closing on a fully loaded SSR contract and when accounting for the extra in dues we paid about $123 a point. Still a lot of savings over direct, and I could see direct being increased soon.

Also, we could rent out the bonus points for about double the cost in dues but we have plans for the points.

I agree on SSR being a great deal right now with the refurbishment, Disney Springs, and for us on the West Coast easy sleep around points at Aulani when we like.

If you are buying direct and choosing a UY that gives you that maximum pro-rated points (Like the examples of buying in Aug with a Sept UY, or Buying in Nov with s Dec UY). Are you allowed to bank those points immediately despite the Normal 4 month banking rules? - Otherwise it seems to me you would have to use them within a month...

Yes. They will bank them as a courtesy.

We are in the process of closing on a fully loaded SSR contract and when accounting for the extra in dues we paid about $123 a point. Still a lot of savings over direct, and I could see direct being increased soon.

Also, we could rent out the bonus points for about double the cost in dues but we have plans for the points.

I agree on SSR being a great deal right now with the refurbishment, Disney Springs, and for us on the West Coast easy sleep around points at Aulani when we like.

It's amazing how well you can stretch these points. My wife and I just planned out our 150 points for this year and booked 3 nights in November, and 7 nights in March 2022, and we used exactly 150 points for 10 nights. If the game is played correctly, I'm seeing where you can really get a lot for your money, I'm glad we did this.

And by the way, congratulations on your new fully loaded contract! That's a great deal and very exciting.

Has Disney ever raised prices on direct points more than once in one calendar year. I believe they went up October 2020 last time. Seems like they are increasing ROFR the last couple weeks. The question is why.

I just paid $110 on 220 Contract with 220 Points for 2021 and 100 banked from 2020. It is a seller's market and some people are just trying to get a very good price for their contracts. After the refurbishment and the positive reviews, SSR ist not the "resort of last resort" anymore, but you can still find contracts around $120. Even with the closing fees etc. there is a difference of $5000. That is a lot of money. Yes Disney took away a lot of perks from the new "resale" members and created a "lower class" of DVC owners. That was a smart move. Who wants two be 2nd class? We own 4 resale contracts. Without incentives that is a $40k difference! Yes there is a Micky voice in my head "Buy direct, do you wanna stay a white card member forever?" but there is another voice from Scrooge McDuck "Are you mad,boy? Why? Do you have to much money?".

If I wanted SSR then direct SSR would be an easy decision but I am accounting for my thought that APs are coming back and I will get savings back.

The extra benefits I never really put tangible value on but they are nice.

If I wanted SSR then direct SSR would be an easy decision but I am accounting for my thought that APs are coming back and I will get savings back.

The extra benefits I never really put tangible value on but they are nice.
I agree. My parents are thinking of buying after staying with me in dvc earlier this year. Only thing that held us off is the lack of annual passes limits benefit of buying direct and price of resale is high enough now we feel direct with original benefits worth the cost (if they keep the ap).

This is what I did last week. I bought 150 points direct at SS for $157 pp. It ended up being just over 24k with closing. It came with 150 - 2020 and 150 2021 points. I figured it to be about 3.5k over the price of resale with the same amount of points. Similar to this listing https://dvcsales.com/listing_info/?u=3003, but came with an additional 150 points loaded. I am able to buy annual passes this year (I dropped mine during the closure), so I will immediately save 2k on buying APs this year (Family of 4 now able to buy Gold Passes). If I am able to buy APs one more time while I own, it will make direct a better deal. Plus I was able to use my extra points for my trip this summer, pick my use year, take advantage of discounts/lounges and can now I can book at Riviera.

This is what I did last week. I bought 150 points direct at SS for $157 pp. It ended up being just over 24k with closing. It came with 150 - 2020 and 150 2021 points. I figured it to be about 3.5k over the price of resale with the same amount of points. Similar to this listing https://dvcsales.com/listing_info/?u=3003, but came with an additional 150 points loaded. I am able to buy annual passes this year (I dropped mine during the closure), so I will immediately save 2k on buying APs this year (Family of 4 now able to buy Gold Passes). If I am able to buy APs one more time while I own, it will make direct a better deal. Plus I was able to use my extra points for my trip this summer, pick my use year, take advantage of discounts/lounges and can now I can book at Riviera.

They gave you full points for 2020? Is that normal procedure? Sounds pretty sweet. Do you know the Use year? Any other info on this from others reading this would also be great.

They gave you full points for 2020? Is that normal procedure? Sounds pretty sweet. Do you know the Use year? Any other info on this from others reading this would also be great.

DVC sells contracts with current points. Currently Jun-Oct UY's are still in their 2020 UY's so that is what you would start with. Feb-Apr are in their 2021 UY's so that is what they would start with if you bought today.

So I have a SSR contract already with an Aug UY. If I were to buy a direct contact before Aug and requesting an Aug UY I would get 2020 points? Is that correct?

Edit: Just realized it would be too late to bank those 2020 points if I got them. I wonder if DVC guide could get them banked for me....

Last edited:
So I have a SSR contract already with an Aug UY. If I were to buy a direct contact before Aug and requesting an Aug UY I would get 2020 points? Is that correct?

Edit: Just realized it would be too late to bank those 2020 points if I got them. I wonder if DVC guide could get them banked for me....
If you buy direct they will bank them.

That is correct. I bought a direct contract for an Oct UY last month and just went through this. You would get your Aug 2020 points (close to) immediately, and then get your 2021 points in August. The one caveat to note is you will eventually be charged prorated dues from the time you sign till end of the calendar year for your 2020 points.

They will also make a one time banking exception given you would have already passed your Aug UY banking deadline.

With the increased demand for SSR I wonder if it’s going to become harder to book yet at 7 months? I don’t want it as my home resort but I do really want to stay there in the future

That is correct. I bought a direct contract for an Oct UY last month and just went through this. You would get your Aug 2020 points (close to) immediately, and then get your 2021 points in August. The one caveat to note is you will eventually be charged prorated dues from the time you sign till end of the calendar year for your 2020 points.

They will also make a one time banking exception given you would have already passed your Aug UY banking deadline.

not entirely correct. When you buy a direct contract which is still in its 2020 UY you will not pay any dues on the 2020 points. Dues follows the calendar year not UY year. You will however pay prorated dues on the 2021 points.

DVC will allow you to bank them right up until the end of your UY if you purchase direct. You just have to call MS to do it.

not entirely correct. When you buy a direct contract which is still in its 2020 UY you will not pay any dues on the 2020 points. Dues follows the calendar year not UY year. You will however pay prorated dues on the 2021 points.

Technically because UY's are thru out the year and dues are on a calendar year UY's are paying dues on different points. For example the calculation for the 2021 dues covers 1 month of 2020 points for Feb and 11 months of 2021 points. And the same 2021 dues for Dec are paying for 11 months of 2020 points and 1 month of 2021 points. That is the DVC calculation but since they don't spread out giving points across the year it's not so obvious.

So if you bought a few months before the end of your UY you actually are paying some dues on the 2020 points and you'd technically pay the dues on all 2021 points.

Just a point that will probably be more important to owners at the end of the contracts now.

With the increased demand for SSR I wonder if it’s going to become harder to book yet at 7 months? I don’t want it as my home resort but I do really want to stay there in the future

What will become common knowledge to people who come to Disney that pay cash every trip, is the recently refurbished rooms they have at most buildings on site. SSR is one of the better valued properties for buying direct/resale right now, and I think the demand to make this a home resort will go higher as people come back at rack rate and decide to buy into DVC. So a long winded way of answering your question: Yes, I think the demand will go higher over the next 1-2 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter