With Ebola in the States, will it affect your plans to Disney?

With Ebola in the US, will this affect your travel plans to Disney?

• Yes. We will be canceling and watching the disease very carefully.

• Yes, but I'm not sure how much it will affect my plans.

• Not sure, let's give it another month to see?

• No. We will not be canceling. The Mouse is invincible!

• No, but I may be more careful about things while there.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Since WDW is a veritable simmering cesspool of all kinds of microbes at the best of times, I think we'll just carry on as usual. That is, unless they start quarantining all of the face characters. As for other guests, given the all too frequent evidence of questionable hygeine I've seen, I'll just try to restrain myself from plastering myself all over whoever is next to me in the queues. Especially the ones bleeding from their ears and eyes. :rolleyes:

I work in Las Vegas, compared to what I'm exposed to everyday the Disney parks are as clean as an operating room. :rotfl2:

I don't give things like Ebola, rare virus's, etc a second thought, I'm much more worried about car accidents, broken bones, etc. The one in a billion scenarios aren't worth getting worked up over.

We don't have plans for Disney but are traveling to a national park soon. Not changing our plans but we are watching the developments closely. Ebola isn't the only illness to be concerned about.

OT: why is it that when the infected doctors were brought to the states for treatment they were transfered in such an extreme manner regarding infection control, but when this guy travels with hundreds of other people through who knows how many airports, we are told it's no big deal.

One week we see people arriving in hazmat suits in a specially prepared airplane to prevent droplet or airborne exposure, then the next we see a hospital ER releasing a patient to the community to intentionally expose others.

I can't understand the extreme change in attitude over it.

Everybody_d72014_61779.gif

In short... no.

I'm more worried about EVD-68 than I am Ebola. We go to Disney next month and will just continue with our standard hygiene protocols, but I'll definitely be more in tune to those coughing near us.

We don't have plans for Disney but are traveling to a national park soon. Not changing our plans but we are watching the developments closely. Ebola isn't the only illness to be concerned about.

OT: why is it that when the infected doctors were brought to the states for treatment they were transfered in such an extreme manner regarding infection control, but when this guy travels with hundreds of other people through who knows how many airports, we are told it's no big deal.

One week we see people arriving in hazmat suits in a specially prepared airplane to prevent droplet or airborne exposure, then the next we see a hospital ER releasing a patient to the community to intentionally expose others.

Ebola doesn't spread until the patient is showing symptoms. Since they KNEW the doctors had Ebola I assume they were showing systems so they were contagious already

Because when Dr. Brantley and the others were transferred to the US, they were in active disease, so they were contagious.

This guy was not showing symptoms, so he was not contagious. Big, big difference.

Not going to the Mouse, but we do have a week planned in Universal over Christmas. We will carry on as normal when among thousands of people, washing hands and other normal hygiene. But that will be more for flu, noro virus and other more common illnesses. Won't give a second thought to Ebola.

In fact, my family is traveling to ground zero, Dallas :scared1:, early next year. The convention center will be packed wall to wall with people. In the past, it has been hard to walk around so many people. Not even worried about going to Dallas where there are actually people with Ebola.

I'm more worried about cattle and associated livestock:

The results of the study by Forrester et al. for the 7-year period, from highest to lowest (source), are:
#1. The number of deaths that resulted from interactions with other mammals, a category that includes cats, cows, horses, pigs, raccoons, and other hoofed animals: 655. The biggest bringers of death are cows and horses.

http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/events/department-news/1195/forget-sharks-cows-are-more-likely-to-kill-you/

Yeah, those Chik Fil A cows are cute, but it's all just a PR scam! They're bringers of death!

Not at all. I am on immune suppression therapy (3 years) and follow good hygiene practices but I also know I can't hid from everything. My biggest concern at WDW has always been people (tons of kids but some adults too) that do not cover their mouths/noses when sneezing/coughing.

Because they were already showing symptoms which means they were contagious.

This new patient didn't have symptoms yet. You are not contagious until the symptoms begin.

No, we will not be cancelling our January trip.

The only way we would do so is if the situation were to get much, much worse and they were advising people NOT to travel because so many people already had it.

But, you could contract the disease from anywhere, even your local grocery store, school, church, etc. Anywhere there are people.

We don't have plans for Disney but are traveling to a national park soon. Not changing our plans but we are watching the developments closely. Ebola isn't the only illness to be concerned about. OT: why is it that when the infected doctors were brought to the states for treatment they were transfered in such an extreme manner regarding infection control, but when this guy travels with hundreds of other people through who knows how many airports, we are told it's no big deal. One week we see people arriving in hazmat suits in a specially prepared airplane to prevent droplet or airborne exposure, then the next we see a hospital ER releasing a patient to the community to intentionally expose others. I can't understand the extreme change in attitude over it.

I agree with you. Especially since this hospital sent this man home is now calling it a "misstep" by this hospital. So when this man went to the hospital for the 2nd time he didn't have symptoms? I saw a news report he was vomiting outside the apartment building. Who cleans that? Time will tell on this one.

I honestly didn't think about it until i saw this thread! Am going for Halloween, and won't worry about it.

It's not going to affect anything I do for the foreseeable future. If it were to escalate to true epidemic level in this country, then I'd start taking considerations.

We are headed to Disney in 15 days. No Ebola is stopping us!! ;)

In all seriousness, we will probably just wash our hands more and be more conscious of not touching as many things.

My only concern, and it's really not a big one, is that the symptoms of ebola are very similar to the symptoms of other viruses.

According to a news story I read today:
If a person with Ebola does not yet show symptoms — which may include fever, fatigue, achiness, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhea — he cannot transmit the virus. In someone who contracts Ebola, the virus can incubate inside the body for as long 21 days before making him feel ill.
I recall being in the parks when some nasty viruses went through and let me assure you that many people would ignore those symptoms (except the bleeding) and go to the parks anyway. They have spent a LOT of money to be there and a fever or muscle pain is not going to keep them at home or in their resort. I recall one particularly nasty norovirus that swept through WDW. I witnessed people vomiting in the parks and on the buses trying to get home.

That being said, I'm not much of a worrier and I am not a germophobe. When I go to WDW in December I guess I'll take alcohol hand sanitizer with me and I'll wash my hands often.

No, I'm much more worried about the flight down and the nutters that want to mess with our planes! But I tend to be a nervous flier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter