• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wishes from Poly beach

lisamomof3

Mouseketeer
Do they pipe in music for Wishes on the beach? Do you need to get there early to get a good spot? What has been your experience? Thinking of doing this on our arrival night. Thanks.

Yes, they pipe in the music from MK on the beach. Sound quality's not great, but you can hear it. No need to get there early. There are plenty of chairs, or you can just plop down on the sand. We usually stand anyway, or watch it while dipping in the Volcano pool. If you have to sit/stand in the sand, there's a little shower by the Volcano pool to rinse it off your feet and legs after the show is over.

Do not count on being able to hear Wishes on the Poly beach. I don't know when you will be there, but two weeks ago it only played on one out of 9 nights. I believe they were having trouble with the sound system all over the resort.

I have never heard wishes music while there. We were on the beach and in the pool many times, and never heard it.

It would have been great to have heard it. :)

Well, when I mentioned the sound quality isn't great, I guess other posters have proved that with their posts. About the only night the sound quality was decent last October was one of the MNSSHP nights, and they seemed to make the sound slightly louder, so you could hear the Vincent Price audio (I assumed that was Vincent Price's voice). Most regular Wishes nights the sound is such that you can barely hear it. Those speakers are pretty tiny. We usually stood really close to one to hear it better.

well, there is the low volume/poor quality issue, and then there is the NO sound issue. Separate issues. I just want to be clear that I investigated this when I was there recently and spoke with CMs about it. I wasn't just not standing close enough to a speaker to hear. That may happen to some folks, but that wasn't the case on this trip. :) (believe me, I am sure I looked pretty funny bending over and sticking my ear right up to the speakers several times/locations!)

For those who are interested, the speaker in the pool bar area seems to be the loudest when the music is on at all. (it's actually hidden in the foliage at the base of a tree in the table area there)

I know it is the norm for the music to be on, but I just wanted to warn folks that they shouldn't "count" on it being on--sometimes it isn't, and there seemed to be a particular problem with the whole resorts sound system when we were there march 10-19th. If you are planning a trip to watch Wishes from the Poly beach, be aware the music may or may not be on.

lisamomof3 said:
Do they pipe in music for Wishes on the beach? Do you need to get there early to get a good spot? What has been your experience? Thinking of doing this on our arrival night. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, are you staying at the poly? :scratchin

poly_rules said:
Just out of curiosity, are you staying at the poly? :scratchin

I don't know if the OP is, but we ARE staying at the Poly and also planned on watching Wishes and the water parade from the beach the night we get there, asuming the weather is favorable. I'm don't care about the music, as we also plan on seeing the Wishes from inside MK during our stay. I would be interested to hear others experience on how crowded it is though.

chamonix said:
well, there is the low volume/poor quality issue, and then there is the NO sound issue. Separate issues. I just want to be clear that I investigated this when I was there recently and spoke with CMs about it. I wasn't just not standing close enough to a speaker to hear. That may happen to some folks, but that wasn't the case on this trip. :) (believe me, I am sure I looked pretty funny bending over and sticking my ear right up to the speakers several times/locations!)

For those who are interested, the speaker in the pool bar area seems to be the loudest when the music is on at all. (it's actually hidden in the foliage at the base of a tree in the table area there)

I know it is the norm for the music to be on, but I just wanted to warn folks that they shouldn't "count" on it being on--sometimes it isn't, and there seemed to be a particular problem with the whole resorts sound system when we were there march 10-19th. If you are planning a trip to watch Wishes from the Poly beach, be aware the music may or may not be on.

I wonder if this is a by-product of all the rehabbing going on at the Poly? I bet the electrical wiring for a lot of that sound system comes from one or more of those longhouses. I would hope the longhouses are having old wiring re-done, and if so, that might temporarily cut off power to some, or all, of that sound system equipment.

I have no idea, though. Just guessing. :confused3

As for whether it's crowded on the Poly beach. I guess I'd say it was fairly crowded, but there was plenty of room for everyone to sit on the beach if you wanted, or to pull one of the pool chairs over to the sidewalk to watch. It's certainly nothing like the crowd inside MK jostling for the best viewing spots.

grimley1968 said:
I wonder if this is a by-product of all the rehabbing going on at the Poly? I bet the electrical wiring for a lot of that sound system comes from one or more of those longhouses. I would hope the longhouses are having old wiring re-done, and if so, that might temporarily cut off power to some, or all, of that sound system equipment.

I have no idea, though. Just guessing. :confused3

Very good guess. That is it exactly. You sure you don’t work there?

grimley1968 said:
As for whether it's crowded on the Poly beach. I guess I'd say it was fairly crowded, but there was plenty of room for everyone to sit on the beach if you wanted, or to pull one of the pool chairs over to the sidewalk to watch. It's certainly nothing like the crowd inside MK jostling for the best viewing spots.

Oh geeze, here we go again. :rolleyes: DISers encouraging non poly resort guests to go on over to the poly & take chairs from the pool area (from poly "residents") and bring em on over to the beach so the non-poly guests aka people not paying to stay at the poly, can enjoy a comfy chair and crowd free viewing of wishes. You want to see wishes, you should go on over to the MK and leave the pool chairs and beach chairs alone so they will be available for PAYING poly guests actually staying at the poly.

grimley1968 said:

Thanks! I doubt there'll be any sitting going on though. We're driving 12 hours straight through, so I'm sure the kiddos will have plenty of pent-up energy. We're not even planning a ts dinner that night. Oh the joys of travelling with 2 toddlers. ;)

Crowds will depend on when you are there, of course, like any other crowd thing at WDW. When we were there 2 weeks ago, the beach was practicaly empty for Wishes. But I have certainly seen it with a crowd at other times as well.

As for the sound thing: I would of course guess the rehab--for example, the beach tiki torches didn't work just after Hawaii was rehabbed--but I have no idea where the sound is located at the Poly. Which longhouse, etc. It did work on the last night we were there. I still wish it would play over the TV or something for those of us in LV rooms.

The CM in the Poly lounge told me their feed for the lounge comes over a "phone line" (DSL?) and it also didn't work all week, then suddenly worked one night. She said it was tempermental and they just never knew when it was going to work or not work.

One word OUTSTANDING. Then watch the electric parade on the lake.

I hope the music is there when we go in August :) . I have a adr for Ohana but we are planning to watch it from either the beach or perhaps the pool bar if that gets a good view. :cheer2:

poly_rules said:
Oh geeze, here we go again. :rolleyes: DISers encouraging non poly resort guests to go on over to the poly & take chairs from the pool area (from poly "residents") and bring em on over to the beach so the non-poly guests aka people not paying to stay at the poly, can enjoy a comfy chair and crowd free viewing of wishes. You want to see wishes, you should go on over to the MK and leave the pool chairs and beach chairs alone so they will be available for PAYING poly guests actually staying at the poly.

Excuse me? I WAS a paying Poly guest/resident/whatever you want to call them when I pulled pool chairs over to the beach area, then I pulled them back when the show was over. You need to assume a little bit less. I haven't seen a single person even say they were not staying at the Poly on this thread. I paid as much for that chair as you did, thank you, and if I want to move it 20 feet over to see Wishes better, I will, and I'll bring it back.

That time of night, absolutely no one was sitting at the pool tables using them, so moving a couple of chairs for 15 minutes wasn't hurting anyone, especially since I brought them back. I would certainly not have taken chairs from tables anyone was sitting at.

In fact, after the show every night, we saw 2 or 3 Poly CM's moving chairs from the beach back over to the pool that other guests were not kind enough to bring back themselves. It's obviously something the Poly does not look down on, and we saw many, many non-Poly guests leaving the resort after Wishes, who had either stood or sat in chairs. It didn't bother me. Watching Wishes from the Poly is just another way the resort encourages visiting to entice non-Poly guests to book there later. So not only am I encouraging watching Wishes from the Poly beach, the Poly does it itself! Watching Wishes from the beach and even using a chair for a few minutes is hardly the same as pool hopping.

Oh geeze, yourself.

We've watched the fireworks from the beach a couple of times, and only once heard the music. It was still WONDERFUL!!!!

At the time, we were not staying at the Poly, but our waiter at Ohana's told us we could go watch from the beach. At the time, there were only about 3 or 4 people on the beach. No one had brought any chairs. We sat out on the swing. Again, there were hardly any other people there.

We've eaten at Ohana's many times, and the waiters have always encouraged us to go watch the fireworks and/or electric parade. And I heard them telling the tables around us too.

Enjoy!!!

Magic2000 said:
We've eaten at Ohana's many times, and the waiters have always encouraged us to go watch the fireworks and/or electric parade. And I heard them telling the tables around us too.

Those scandalous waiters! How dare they! :rotfl2: I bet those 3 or 4 paying Poly residents already on the beach were :furious: about it. But then it is only my assumption that they were paying Poly residents. ;) They were probably just more of those non-paying ingrate guests just using up all that beach space that I paid for in 2001 and 2005 when I stayed there. Do I get a royalty for the use of my beach? :rolleyes:

:stir:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter