Wishes at Magic Kingdom or Ohana?

darly2004

Mouseketeer
We have a reservation at Ohana at 6:50 pm. If we can get seated right away, we will likely have enough time to eat and head to MK for Wishes. However, I hear that they are frequently late. Should we just try to get a table by the window and enjoy dinner at a leisurely pace or rush through dinner and run to the park to view Wishes there? This is our first time at WDW and not sure if Wishes would be as spectacular not viewed in the park itself.

When is the reservation? What date? What day of the week? Etc.
We ate there Saturday Feb 4th, had a reservation at 6:30 and were seated at around 6:45.
Is it your only chance to see Wishes? If so I'd try to catch it in the park. If not...don't sweat it. Catch it at the restaurant or at the beach.

We lucked out and got a table right next to the window with a great view...but we were done with dinner by 8ish and Wishes started at 9. We tried to stretch it out but they seemed eager to move the tables (not in a rude way though). We ended up leaving and watching wishes from the beach. My kids had fun playing in the sand and occasionally glancing at the fireworks. Lol.

This was our first time too...and it was cool but honestly the fireworks are kind of far away compared to seeing them in front of the castle. luckily we were able to fit both in.

We have a reservation at Ohana at 6:50 pm. If we can get seated right away, we will likely have enough time to eat and head to MK for Wishes. However, I hear that they are frequently late. Should we just try to get a table by the window and enjoy dinner at a leisurely pace or rush through dinner and run to the park to view Wishes there? This is our first time at WDW and not sure if Wishes would be as spectacular not viewed in the park itself.

Wishes from anywhere outside of the park is no where near as spectacular as from Main Street in the MK.

Wishes from Narcoossees or CG offers a better chance of viewing Wishes during dinner than 'Ohana.

I cannot help you in terms of timing, there is no way to help unless I know what time Wished is scheduled for.

I would be sure that I scheduled time in the MK to see Wishes, and then if you get a chance to see it from 'Ohana or the Poly beach, it would be a bonus.

When is the reservation? What date? What day of the week? Etc.
We ate there Saturday Feb 4th, had a reservation at 6:30 and were seated at around 6:45.
Is it your only chance to see Wishes? If so I'd try to catch it in the park. If not...don't sweat it. Catch it at the restaurant or at the beach.

Our Ohana reservation is at 6:50PM on Saturday night. I believe Wishes is at 9pm. I kind of figured it would not have the same effect. We are due to have another day at MK, but were not planning to stay that late with the kids. I am glad to hear that they were only 15 min behind. If that the case, we may be able to eat and then run back to MK. I have been trying to find an earlier time, but has been pretty impossible. Where would be the best place to watch it at MK? I am thinking closer to the entrance in case we are going to run a little behind and hopefully can make a quicker exit after.

Have you seen Wishes before? My personal advice would be to enjoy your dinner and watch from the Poly beach. We have watched from all 3 spots and the beach is about my favorite. We finally saw them from Ohana in October and it was cool but a lot of people seemed not to care and the dining room noise was distracting. If your dinner ends up getting done earlier than you anticipate, you can make it to MK pretty quickly. You could always show up a bit early and hope to be seated earlier (which I would try to do anyway).

No matter what you decide, it will be awesome! Have fun!

If you are done with dinner around 8:00 - 8:15 pm (I'm assuming Wishes is at 9?), I would head to MK. If it's any later, I would just watch it from the beach. Watching from the beach isn't the same, but it's still spectacular.

Agree with @DisneyWishes14 and others above. You don't want to watch Wishes from Ohana, it's an inferior view and chances are pretty high you won't be anywhere near the windows. Possible, but there's still plenty of restaurant away from the windows.

Good thing about Poly is you can play things by ear and make a game time decision. If you're running late and don't want to go over to MK, just watch from the beach. If you have ample time, spirits are high, and you want to go to MK, do that. Both are good options.

FWIW, the Poly beach is nice in that you're not fighting much of a crowd.

Good luck!

If you don't go to MK, my favorite place to watch from the Polynesian is on the Trader Sam's patio.

Not sure how big your kiddos are but with my 3 getting on the monorail then through security at MK is a task....especially late at night after dinner! My kiddos LOVE hanging on the beach at the Poly and we have seen wishes there a few times and enjoyed it a lot. They have shown movies on the beach at the poly some nights at the same time but they lowered the volume so we could hear the wishes soundtrack which they play on the beach during the show. It is no where near as exciting from the beach but a great option and you aren't surrounded by large crowds. As for seeing Wishes from Ohana it isn't a great option. It is a lovely restaurant but its busy and the dining room is large. If you scored a window seat I am sure you would be much better off but we haven't had any luck with that yet ;)

We have viewed Wishes from both locations and, as other posters have mentioned, viewing Wishes in the park is a much better experience. It's not just "fireworks" as some people call it, but the total experience of pyrotechnics, music, and narration. (You gotta love Jiminy Cricket!). As you make your decision you might want to keep in mind that Wishes will be ending soon, so you won't get another chance to see it in the park on another visit.

To sum up much of what's already been said:
This is your first trip, so don't stress out about everything having to work out to ONE plan. Have plans, but be willing to flex as needed.
1. Try to get an earlier ADR.
2. Go early to your 6:50 ADR (arrive by 6:30).
3. IF, check is paid by 8:15, you have a chance to get to MK in time. Best spot is by hub, but will be very, very crowded.
4. IF NOT done by 8:15, go to the Poly beach. Less hectic. Might also see Electric Water Pageant.

My thoughts:
Depending on how quickly your group moves, how many in your party, crowd levels, bag check, etc. you may not make it to a good spot for viewing even if you are done eating by 8:00, which seems unlikely. So, you may not want to even entertain the idea of getting to MK for Wishes...too much anxiety about it.

On the other hand, I would not go to WDW and NOT see Wishes from MK. We were there last week (Presidents Day Weekend). WE found a good spot off the hub, near Tinkerbelle's flight path, around 8pm (for 9pm show). By 8:30 the hub was not walkable without stepping on something or someone.

WE find the projection show on the castle (Once Upon a Time?) to be as spectacular as Wishes. We stayed in the same spot for that show (9:45).
After Wishes, the mass exodus will make moving out of MK nearly impossible. The monorail and boat launches will be backed up for 30 minutes.
Stay put in MK afterwards. Plan to move INTO the park, instead of OUT. Take some time to shop, sit, snack etc. Let at least 30 minutes pass and you will have a much less stressful night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter