WISH - Disney Easter Eggs (warning: spoilers included)

LKing

DIS Veteran
We celebrated Mickey's 95th by seeing Disney's Wish in the theater. Before the movie, there was a small intro wishing Mickey Mouse a happy birthday. :smickey:

There were so many Easter eggs. What references and characters did you notice in the movie?

Characters:
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Bambi
Thumper
Seven Dwarfs
Peter Pan
Wendy
Little John

References
Mugs in kitchen scene had initials of each of the seven dwarfs
Pot on kitchen shelf is from Hercules
Each friend's name started with the same letter as the dwarf they portrayed (Dahlia, Simon, Gabo, Safi, Hal, Bazeema, Dario)
Mushrooms - Alice in Wonderland
Blue birds - Snow White
Birds on tree glow in pink, green and blue - Flora, Fauna and Merryweather from Sleeping Beauty
Library - Lumiere and Cogsworth on the mantle
Wishes - Mulan, dressmaker (Sleeping Beauty), Peter Pan, Rapunzel and Mary Poppins.
Valentino wants to live in an animal utopia - Zootopia
Mickey - Drawn by feather pen, fireworks, pixie dust on Valentino's head
Butterflies during I'm a Star - Pocahontas
Horses - not sure
House style - Sleeping Beauty?
Poison apple - Snow White
Black candles in Magnifico's Lair - Hocus Pocus
Cauldron - Snow White
Talking trees - not sure
Chickens - not sure
Magnifico = Maleficent?
Owl - Sleeping Beauty
Reindeer - Frozen
Turtle - Finding Nemo
Squirrel - Sleeping Beauty
Scene from tree looking at castle in the distance - Sleeping Beauty
Wishing Well - Snow White
Hair brush and fork - Little Mermaid
Mouse talking to Queen - Gus Gus from Cinderella
Asha's robe with hood - Fairy Godmother in Cinderella
Flying books - Sword in the Stone?
Swinging on Ropes - Tarzan (thanks @TikiRob)
Final scene - Pinocchio

Quotes
Mushrooms said, "I love crazy" from Frozen
Mirror mirror on the wall - Snow White

Updated to include references mentioned in articles.
Asha's hair blowing in the wind is a reference to Mulan
Asha's father's advice was a nod to Mufasa and Simba.
Magnifico's obsession with mirrors is a nod to the Evil Queen in Snow White.
Star's face is based on Mickey's face

Watch the ending credits for hidden words. (Thanks @DL1WDW2 )

Last edited:
I did see that Happy 95th Birthday Mickey intro on Youtube today and it was a cool intro/commercial for Disney to do and I wonder if Disney Parks is gonna have a big birthday bash to celebrate Mickey Mouse's 95th birthday? And will Mickey be given a whole new look in honor of his birthday?

So what did y'all think of the actual movie? Should I guilt DH into seeing it at the theater or wait for it to be on D+?

So what did y'all think of the actual movie? Should I guilt DH into seeing it at the theater or wait for it to be on D+?

I thought it was quite good - very enjoyable. It's maybe not the best Disney musical ever, but it definitely delivers. The music is decent, though some of it is a little...different. I appreciate that htey have tried something a little different with the animation, and it really worked. It is beautiful on the big screen!

Last edited:
I was skeptical because of all of the pre-marketing and promotions. I went with two adult friends and we all enjoyed it. One person in our group didn't pick up on anything other than the most obvious Disney references. The other picked up on more than I did. As Disney fans, the subtle references were fun. I definitely want to watch it again.

It was the first time in a long time that an audience in a theater clapped at the end of the movie.

@BrianL I didn't find all of the references myself. There were three of us. :dance3:

Going by the reviews: It is nice, but it is not original. Voices and art work are nice, but there are no songs on the level of Let It Go or We Don't Talk About Bruno.

Some mentioned that it is really a love letter to Disney... by Disney. And mention the amount of Easter eggs for the fans.

I just went to Disneyland Paris and there is a lot of pressure on this movie. There was already so much merchandise out. I hope for them it delivers. Looking at the reviews... I am not sure.

Why not just go to the movies by yourself, and if you enjoy it make it an at home movie date night with your husband once released on Disney +.

Will see it myself on Wednesday probably,we had no previews here.

Each friend's name started with the same letter as the dwarf they portrayed (Dahlia, Simon, Gabo, Safi, Hal, Bazeema, Dario)
Not only that, they had 7 friends, so they could represent the 7 dwarfs. Each have the character traits of the dwarfs.

And... I'm not a fan.

I do not mind little and smart Easter eggs, but this was unnecessary. It gave the animators 7 characters to develop which do not add anything to the story. If Asha had 2 or 3 friends it would have been enough. To do this just to have an "easter egg"... no, not a fan. Gabo even says it at the end "I'm not Grumpy". It's so in your face. As if they are want to make sure that everyone knows all the clever things they put in. Can you still call it an Easter egg?

Same with the one with Peter Pan at the end. It's so incredibly in your face: LOOK IT'S PETER PAN, REMEMBER HIM?

The mushrooms felt out of place for me. Was this supposed to be a muppet reference?
All the talking wood-animals felt a little out of place.

The movie itself, it's okay. It's not memorable. I definitely get the feedback on social media now about it feels as if the songs are AI generated with a 'make it sound like Lin Manuel Miranda'-prompt. And that's not a thing I do mind, it's fine to copy a popular style (not original, but okay, let's go with it), but that the songs cannot be sung along. Besides the line 'Here in the city of Rosas', I do not see many people belt out these songs.

I'm not sure about the animation style, it looks absolutely gorgeous in the backgrounds. But I don't know, something feels off to use this style for the foreground characters.

I liked that it's not a surprise villain. Will Magnifico ever make it as a great Disney villain? Probably not. I just read that his portrait is already added to the new restaurant in the Disneyland Hotel in Paris when it reopens next year after refurbishment.
I do wonder, we spent a lot of time with Magnifico. Did he get the most screentime out of all Disney villains?

Asha... her biggest downfall as a character is that she is a copy of the popular clumsy princesses (Rapunzel, Anna, Mirabel, etc.). While in her character it was absolutely not necessary. Her story is much more like a reserved lead female character, think Belle. The 'I'm clumsy and insecure'-vibe at the beginning didn't fit her overall character, imo. It disappears completely when we get further into the story, but not out of character growth. I wish they had made Asha more her own character.

Not only that, they had 7 friends, so they could represent the 7 dwarfs. Each have the character traits of the dwarfs.

And... I'm not a fan.

I do not mind little and smart Easter eggs, but this was unnecessary. It gave the animators 7 characters to develop which do not add anything to the story. If Asha had 2 or 3 friends it would have been enough. To do this just to have an "easter egg"... no, not a fan. Gabo even says it at the end "I'm not Grumpy". It's so in your face. As if they are want to make sure that everyone knows all the clever things they put in. Can you still call it an Easter egg?

Same with the one with Peter Pan at the end. It's so incredibly in your face: LOOK IT'S PETER PAN, REMEMBER HIM?

The mushrooms felt out of place for me. Was this supposed to be a muppet reference?
All the talking wood-animals felt a little out of place.

The movie itself, it's okay. It's not memorable. I definitely get the feedback on social media now about it feels as if the songs are AI generated with a 'make it sound like Lin Manuel Miranda'-prompt. And that's not a thing I do mind, it's fine to copy a popular style (not original, but okay, let's go with it), but that the songs cannot be sung along. Besides the line 'Here in the city of Rosas', I do not see many people belt out these songs.

I'm not sure about the animation style, it looks absolutely gorgeous in the backgrounds. But I don't know, something feels off to use this style for the foreground characters.

I liked that it's not a surprise villain. Will Magnifico ever make it as a great Disney villain? Probably not. I just read that his portrait is already added to the new restaurant in the Disneyland Hotel in Paris when it reopens next year after refurbishment.
I do wonder, we spent a lot of time with Magnifico. Did he get the most screentime out of all Disney villains?

Asha... her biggest downfall as a character is that she is a copy of the popular clumsy princesses (Rapunzel, Anna, Mirabel, etc.). While in her character it was absolutely not necessary. Her story is much more like a reserved lead female character, think Belle. The 'I'm clumsy and insecure'-vibe at the beginning didn't fit her overall character, imo. It disappears completely when we get further into the story, but not out of character growth. I wish they had made Asha more her own character.

I disagree about the seven dwarfs reference. I mena, it's not like all seven of them were fully developed in Snow White anyway. It's just a nod to it. Te emovie is definitely trying to be more like those early, classic Disney films. It's definitely more straightforward then more recent ones. It's weird that so many people yearn for those days, but then dislike it when we get it,

I disagree about the seven dwarfs reference. I mena, it's not like all seven of them were fully developed in Snow White anyway. It's just a nod to it. Te emovie is definitely trying to be more like those early, classic Disney films. It's definitely more straightforward then more recent ones. It's weird that so many people yearn for those days, but then dislike it when we get it,
I didn't mean fully developed characters. To me it's not a nod, the 7 friends are almost a copy. Not just the personalities, but also in how they look / colour scheme.

To me, a good easter egg is subtle. That you think 'oh wow, that's so clever', or something small to look out for like A113, that's repeated in all movies.

The 7 dwarfs in Wish are as subtle as a brick.

I didn't mean fully developed characters. To me it's not a nod, the 7 friends are almost a copy. Not just the personalities, but also in how they look / colour scheme.

To me, a good easter egg is subtle. That you think 'oh wow, that's so clever', or something small to look out for like A113, that's repeated in all movies.

The 7 dwarfs in Wish are as subtle as a brick.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice or realize the seven friends thing until after the fact and I read about it here. Subtle enough for me anyway.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice or realize the seven friends thing until after the fact and I read about it here. Subtle enough for me anyway.
I noticed the initials on the mugs right away, but it took me a while to realize that some of the friends represented some of the dwarfs. I didn't pick up on all seven of them and had to look up their names. One person in our party had read spoilers so listened for the names. Another didn't notice the reference at all.

For me, some of the characters (ie. the owl and the bear) looked really familiar but I couldn't place them. I thought that the chickens must be a reference to something but still can't place it. The homes looked familiar, but I had to look up what movie they were from. None of it took away from the storyline for me.

I thought the pen drawing Mickey was cute but in your face. Same with the fireworks. It might be because they are references to Disney and not a movie. I thought it was funny when Magnifico looked into the wishes and referenced Peter Pan and Mary Poppins. Yes it was in your face, but it made me laugh. Peter Pan showing up at the end wasn't necessary. I would have chosen a character that looked like they fit in with the townspeople, maybe the Hunchback.

I thought rowing the mother and grandfather to the island was unnecessary. They rowed out and came back. Was the boat and the island a reference to something? I was waiting for the grandfather to be inspiring and have his wish come true.

I really really liked it! Such a cute movie. And SO FUN to have all the references to past Disney movies. What a special way to commemorate the 100th anniversary (not sure that was the intent, but if not then the timing was perfect.)

I LOVED every song except for the first one. That one was okay but not super memorable for me. I liked the songs MORE than Encanto songs! 🫣

My only complaint is that for the first 20ish minutes the story moved too fast. I wish it had been 10 minutes longer and that more character development had happened in those first 20 minutes. Magnifico went from friendly to villainous WAY too fast.

But the rest of the movie was soooo great! We saw it as a group of 8 on Thanksgiving and we all really enjoyed it. I'm sad that the reviews aren't better because I think this movie deserves to be do well at the box office.

I give it a 9.5/10.

Was pretty disappointing. Nothing was polished as you’d hope a good Disney movie to be from animation and art style, to music, plot and characters, etc.

Quality felt the same as an Elena of Avalor special or extended episode rather than an actual movie.
I agree. I was very disappointed. I did enjoy the music. I'm not going into details why I didn't like it because I constantly get attacked if I say something anti-Disney. Very excited for Inside Out 2!

I agree. I was very disappointed. I did enjoy the music. I'm not going into details why I didn't like it because I constantly get attacked if I say something anti-Disney. Very excited for Inside Out 2!
Oh come on, I'll be with you in being anti-Disney when it comes to certain new movies :)
For instance, I thought the movie was okay, it's not memorable, but what I was disappointed in was the Care Bears ending. Basically every Care Bears movie in the 80s ended like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter