Wireless transmitter not working with SB600

HPS3

Disney Fanatic
I just got some transmitters off of ebay for my D5100. It works fine with my Yongnuo Y467 but it wont work with the SB600. When I connect the SB600 to the reciever it fires on its own and wont respond to the buttons on the back. The D5100 fires the Y467 fine no problems. Anyone have problems with the SB600 and wireless receivers?

I've only used the pop-up flash on my D300 in commander mode and my SB-900 to wirelessly fire the SB-600. Do you have the SB-600 is slave mode? I don't know how it works with 3rd party transmitters.

Using it within the Nikon system it works great.

I dont know if it has a slave mode I just have it in manual

What kind of wireless trasmitters & receivers? How are you connecting the sb600 to the receiver? If it's a hotshoe adapter, what brand (try flashzebra)? Do you have the SB600 in manual mode? Did you turn of auto-sleep on the SB600?

I dont know if it has a slave mode I just have it in manual

The SB-600 does have a slave mode. I use it all the time in slave mode. Check out the users manual to know how to get to it. I don't know if using that transmitter you need the flash to be in slave mode or not. Its not going to hurt.

When I hear "slave mode", I think optical slave, which is just a dumb light sensor that triggers a flash or studio strobe to fire at a manually pre-set power setting. Just for clarifictaion, the SB600 does not have optical slave mode, but it does have slave mode for the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS). Nikon's CLS uses an infrared signal from either another hotshoe flash unit with commander mode, a pop-up flash of a camera with commander mode, or a dedicated hotshoe-mountable commander unit. Infrared requires line-of-sight, or at the very least the slave unit's sensor needs to detect some bounced signal from the commander unit. Sometimes, in bright sunlight outdoors CLS isn't reliable, as the ambient light overpowers the infrared signal.

Radio triggers don't have the same limitations of infrared. Radio triggers can work through most walls, outside in bright light, and over great distance. Some triggers, like optical triggers and PocketWizards, only send the "fire" signal to the flash. Others, like CLS, RadioPoppers, and the new PocketWizard Mini and Flex units, can transmit TTL or manual power settings to the flash.

If I'm indoors or don't need line-of-sight, I'll use CLS with the pop-up flash of my D700 or D300. I use RadioPoppers to adjust the manual power settings of various off-camera flash all from my camera, especially when they don't all have line-of-sight. Sometimes CLS works with a flash inside of a softbox, but not always. So, I usually use the RadioPoppers whenever I use a softbox, just cause I'd rather not deal with misfires. Some of my old flash units do have optical slave built-in, and if I know what manual power setting I'll use for it, and it won't be mounted in a hard-to-reach place, I'll just use its optical slave mode without a RadioPopper receiver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter