Windsor Hills Splash Pool In January?

gerberdaisy1234

DIS Veteran
Staying at Windsor Hills for first time in January. (Storytime Townhome- because of all the wonderful reviews here) Curious about the temperature of the splash pools in January. We did pay for pool heat. (Guess the two foot of snow here has me thinking about FLORIDA!)

Has anyone stayed at Windsor Hills in January and used a splash pool with heat? We will be in TH #2. Thanks

Didn't stay in January but have in Feb. and we had the splash pool heated and enjoyed it. Even when it was chilly we still had a nice warm pool and only a few steps to get back and forth from the house. With the pool heat it was over 85F. :thumbsup2

Question the owner for how long the pool is heated for, the place we stayed only had the heat on from 7am-7pm which kept it warm enough but we would have prefered say 10-10pm as we were in the parks when it was on. The jets only work when the heat is on.

Since you are most likely paying to have the pool heated, I would request from the owner that the pool be heated to a specific temperature. Enjoy your vacation and the holidays. :cool1::banana:

Thanks I will definitely ask. He has said to let hime know if I have any questions. I was trying to wait to see if I had a few before asking so I don't send a lot of emails. Even though he is extremely nice, I don't want to be a pain. So I now have my first question(s):

What time is the pool heated? and Can I request a temperature?

Thanks.

Let me clear up a few misconceptions.

The pool heat depends on what they have the dial set to on the heater unit. It does not have any temperature markings on it, so your mileage may vary. Typically, these are locked up, so the guests cannot get to them.

The owners cannot heat the pools from 7pm-7am as someone suggests, nor are they set to run from 7am-7pm as someone else suggested. The pool heaters run by pulling heat out of the ambient air, they are heat exchanger systems. This is opposed to being fed by natural gas, propane, electricity, etc. As such, they CANNOT pull heat out of the air at night when the air temp drops below a certain threshold, that's why they don't run at night.

In contrast, the main clubhouse pool (and hot tub) is heated by propane, that's why you see a huge propane tank in the fenced off area next to the clubhouse by the fitness center. Propane can heat a pool 7x24, in any temperature.

The single most important thing you can do as a guest, is ask your owner if your rental home has a pool blanket. If they do not provide one, ask if they can. They are not very expensive, and save the owner a ton of $$ on their energy bills, they really pay for themselves very quickly. (< $75 last one I bought). Assuming the home has one, the second most important thing you can do is cover up the pool when you're not using it, especially at night.

Now, as I've walked around the resort, just as an FYI, I've seen quite a large # of the townhomes that don't have pool blankets, which is why I suggest asking.

If the pool is left uncovered at night, most of the heat will naturally escape into the atmosphere. When this happens, of course, the heater cannot turn on to heat it back up until the morning when it's warmer outside. The effect is you will have a cold pool, especially in the morning (not to mention driving the energy usage way up!).

Our kids tend to leave ours uncovered, so I'm usually out there in the evening putting it back on. It's easy to forget! And as a guest, we would not tend to know any of this, and just leave it uncovered. We notify our guests and explain to them how this works, for just this reason. A very common thing our mgmt company hears is that someone has a cold pool, when they arrive to check it out, they find the pool was left uncovered overnight. It's easily preventable!

Personally I like my splash pool super warm, so we turn the heat up and leave the cover on at all times when we're not using it! Most often, the pools will end up around 80 degrees though, but like I said, the heaters have a dial, not a temperature gauge.

When we get a sustained cold spell where it stays cold, especially without a blanket, the pools will get cold, and the heaters cannot come on. This of course, is when people start calling to complain about having cold pools to the mgmt company, when they get a sustained cold spell they know they will start getting calls, and usually it's a missing pool blanket or one not on the pool that causes the issue, besides the weather of course, that's outside of everyone's control!

Thank you for the details. It always helps to understand how things work. I will check to see if they have a pool blanket. Thanks again.

The owners cannot heat the pools from 7pm-7am as someone suggests, nor are they set to run from 7am-7pm as someone else suggested. The pool heaters run by pulling heat out of the ambient air, they are heat exchanger systems. This is opposed to being fed by natural gas, propane, electricity, etc. As such, they CANNOT pull heat out of the air at night when the air temp drops below a certain threshold, that's why they don't run at night.

there was a brochure in our townhouse that states it was heated from 7am-7pm...it was on a timer. so yes it can be adjusted

there was a brochure in our townhouse that states it was heated from 7am-7pm...it was on a timer. so yes it can be adjusted

Maybe they changed out the pool controls or pool thermostat from what is installed by Pulte with most of the homes then, but by default that is not the case. Most of the homes have just 2 settings, on or off, and a temperature dial. Some owners may have since installed some type of upgraded controls though, I know of one other owner who installed a digital internet controlled pool system where he can check the temperature and control it remotely over the 'net!

We stayed in a townhouse over christmas and we used the pool cover. You had to wait in the morning for the pool to heat up but it was fine by the afternoon. I think alot of people expect the pools to be like a hot tub but this is pretty much impossible especially in the winter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter