Wilma-Bride's Trip Report - Sep 04 (Pre-Trip)

wilma-bride

<<This space intentionally blank>>
Fred and Wilma’s Honeymoon – 7-21 Sep 04

CAST

Me – Joh (31) – Slightly neurotic (DH would say very), VERY impatient and extremely over-exciteable
DH – Gary (37) – Pretty laid back, a bit of a ‘Peter Pan’, mad about Tigger!

Background

In our 7 years together, DH and I have rarely agreed on anything (from what to eat, what to watch and what colour to paint the lounge) but the one thing we both agreed on was that Orlando would be the destination for our honeymoon. As it was a honeymoon, DH’s parents offered to look after our DS (2) so we could have a child-free holiday and it was decided. We booked two weeks with Virgin, flying from Gatwick on 5th September 2004 and staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza (Ho-Jo) on International Drive.

Pre-Trip

Fast forward to 4 days before we’re due to leave and I get a phone call at work from a friend of mine, who is on her own honeymoon in Orlando. She tells me her and her DH are flying home early because of the threat of Hurricane Frances. When I finish panicking, I check the internet and there we have it! Hurricane Frances was due to hit Orlando, just 2 days before our holiday. To say that, from then on, I became completely neurotic and paranoid would be a definite understatement. Sky news was constantly on the television, I was checking the Virgin website, Disboards and local weather sites constantly (“just in case they’ve updated it since I last looked”).

On Monday morning, I wake early and log straight on to the internet. We are supposed to be leaving this afternoon for Gatwick, taking advantage of Twilight Check-in and staying overnight ready for flying tomorrow. Last time I checked the airports in Florida were still closed and at this point, I am feeling extremely sorry for myself (not to mention guilty because I am worrying about a holiday when people in Orlando have lost their homes). DH and his parents daren’t speak or even breathe, I am in such a foul mood.

Eventually, I stumble across an announcement on Orlando Info that says MCO will be re-opening at 10:00 EST. I check the Virgin website again – nothing! So I phone them. I eventually get through, only to be told that the decision to re-open the airport is being made at 10:00 EST (15:00 BST) and I need to call back after that. How on earth am I gonna wait 5 WHOLE HOURS!!!

3 pm (on the dot), I get through to Virgin again and a lovely man informs me that our flight will leave on schedule tomorrow and Twilight Check-in will be open this evening as normal. I shout to DH “We’re going” and I can hear the audible sigh of relief from the 3 of them, who can finally breathe again.

When its such a special holiday its always more worrying that something will stop it :maleficen Can't wait for the rest :wave2:

What a stressful start to your honeymoon. I know you had a fantastic time though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter