Will you no longer fly US/UA/DL/NW?

Not to alarm (or elate) people here... but...

recently, I had the opportunity to view some nifty devices designed to be stationed at the gate area. Their function? To weigh (in kg or lbs) carry-on bags and determine if they are size-eligible. Obviously, your carry-ons would have to fit within the device (in both size and weight) in order to be carried on, otherwise your item would be gate checked.

These devices have been in use for years on international routes, but are now being customized for the domestic US flight market.

Interesting times ahead, travelers!

:)

Not to alarm (or elate) people here... but...

recently, I had the opportunity to view some nifty devices designed to be stationed at the gate area. Their function? To weigh (in kg or lbs) carry-on bags and determine if they are size-eligible. Obviously, your carry-ons would have to fit within the device (in both size and weight) in order to be carried on, otherwise your item would be gate checked.

These devices have been in use for years on international routes, but are now being customized for the domestic US flight market.

Interesting times ahead, travelers!

:)
Makes me happy. But to be on the safe side, I'm remeasuring all my carryon size bags....just to be sure. And no, they will not be heavy...no cramming stuff in because I can't check two bags!! Just want to be absolutely sure they still fit the airline meaurements.

To answer the original question, no I won't be boycotting NW or any other carrier using the new rule.

I have to fly NW, that's one of two carriers out of my small airport. AA is the other carrier, and there prices are always higher htan NW. Haard to believe, I know.

However, I will be carrying on a 21" bag now. And that's going to be a pain, because I have to make two connections to get from MN to PNS.

That means I fly on small aircraft like CRJ's and Saabs. The 21" will have to go under the plane.

I'll have to carry a camera case now. MOre stuff to mess with.

herc.

Delta's website still shows the free checked baggage allowance as being 2 bags.

Delta is continuing to accept money from passengers, showing the allowance as being 2 bags, after they've already decided to reduce the allowance.

All things being equal I'd try to avoid an airline that intentionally engages in such deceptive behavior.

No I booked with United anyway..I kind of had a feeling alot of airlines were going to start this so I am not too shocked.We pack light anyway.

and now I am going to say something straightforward which will most likely invite another round of flames on me or a flurry of PMs, but here you have it... ready

Isn't the carry on situation in America a result of people deciding that the rules no longer apply to them, combined with a lack of enforcement? The rules for carry on are clearly stated - on email confirmations, websites, in luggage stores, at the airport check in counter, at security, and at the gate. Yet for whatever reason, they are routinely ignored by a large number of passengers in the US.

Combine that with a lack of enforcement, and we have the situation we face today. I can assure you that in other parts of the world, the rules are the rules, and one would not easily make it to the aircraft carrying oversize or too many pieces of carryon luggage. GA, FAs, ticket agents, security have no issue at all telling passengers that their carry on does not comply. There is no concern about a perception about poor customer service - the rules are the rules.

Somehow the rules have only become a 'suggested guideline' in the US, and travellers and the airlines are both to blame for this.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 You are right on! I bring a handbag and small diaper bag.That is it....i see people with really large carryons that technically look like a lrg suitcase.These same people have their whole entire person leaning over my seat as they try and shove their huge carry on over my head.I actually had some guy shove his bag in the overhead so hard and tried to force the bin door closed, he broke the door.SO then we got delayed till they fixed the bin.I hope they start enforcing the rules. Rules are for everyone, Why not just permit total anarchy?

The complete lack of enforcement has (unofficially) repealed the written rules.

Some (infrequent) travelers believe the comedians and think it's probable their luggage will get lost. The airlines lose, delay and misdirect far fewer bags then people think. Some business travelers are so intent on carryon only that they bend some rules. Some luggage stores "lie" about what size luggage qualifies.

Look how many posters got a "great deal" on 29" and 30" bag from stores like Marshalls.

Samsonite is still selling a 29" bag, which mesures 63" and is too large to be checked (without paying extra) most airlines. I can imagine some passengers, concerned with the new "one bag rules" purchasing such a bag. Those passengers will wind up with a bag that's too large, and too heavy, to check without paying extra.

In other words, plenty of blame to go around.

Isn't the carry on situation in America a result of people deciding that the rules no longer apply to them, combined with a lack of enforcement? The rules for carry on are clearly stated - on email confirmations, websites, in luggage stores, at the airport check in counter, at security, and at the gate. Yet for whatever reason, they are routinely ignored by a large number of passengers in the US.
Somehow the rules have only become a 'suggested guideline' in the US, and travellers and the airlines are both to blame for this.

Bavaria---That was a perfect response!!!!

The 'ugly American' tag is alive and well in many more places thn most of us can imagine.

Eventually, most of the airlines will follow suit. Lets face it: the less luggage a carrier has to haul, the lighter the plane...and the less fuel it needs to get where its going. You want to bog down the plane's weight, you pay for it.

Except that they really don't want to lighten up; they want to get paid for carrying full weight. The extra space freed up by fewer checked bags will quickly be filled by larger paying cargo loads. More mail and more coffins, folks. (I can make the coffin joke because I frequently fly into Knock, Ireland -- which is an airport that sees more dead passengers than live ones sometimes.)

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages. You go to the counter wearing 4 changes of clothing, with every pocket loaded, and with any books you are carrying stuffed up the back of your shirt under your jacket. You get your cabin baggage weighed and tagged. Then you go to the lav and put all the heavy stuff back in the bag. Oh, and for the person who said that the family would have their heaviest shoes in their carryons -- wrong strategy; those belong on your feet, and the TSA lines be da--ed. ;)

Maybe airlines should have a combined weight limit for checked luggage, carry on baggage and passenger weight. Put everything on the scale at once.

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages. You go to the counter wearing 4 changes of clothing, with every pocket loaded, and with any books you are carrying stuffed up the back of your shirt under your jacket. You get your cabin baggage weighed and tagged. Then you go to the lav and put all the heavy stuff back in the bag. Oh, and for the person who said that the family would have their heaviest shoes in their carryons -- wrong strategy; those belong on your feet, and the TSA lines be da--ed. ;)

Delta's website still shows the free checked baggage allowance as being 2 bags.

Delta is continuing to accept money from passengers, showing the allowance as being 2 bags, after they've already decided to reduce the allowance.

All things being equal I'd try to avoid an airline that intentionally engages in such deceptive behavior.

I just looked up Delta's website too, as that is what we are flying in May. Are they in fact charging the extra fee when you get to the airport, because it sure looks clear from their website that you get 2 free checked bags. :confused3

I just looked up Delta's website too, as that is what we are flying in May. Are they in fact charging the extra fee when you get to the airport, because it sure looks clear from their website that you get 2 free checked bags. :confused3

Delta has failed to update their website, although their employees are advising customers, and the charge is listed on their internal site. Rumour is that they will increase a number of pay per use fees on April 1st, along with the luggage fee, and are waiting to update all the information on that day (Why not put all the heartache and drama on one day rather than spread it around over a range of dates ;) )

If they weigh cabin baggage here as they do overseas, Americans will learn the same tricks that Europeans have been using for ages.
The only challenge with this is that in Germany and France at least size matters. Most of us over on flyertalk.com who are German/Austrian/Swiss carry a Titan carry on case, sold in the Lufthansa shops. They meet the smaller size requirements of Lufthansa and many other foreign carriers.

Lufthansa at least does check for size as well as weight, and tags bags as cabin approved. (And besides, German airports are so hot I couldn't imagine wearing four layers of clothing even for a few minutes!) :)

The 'ugly American' tag is alive and well in many more places thn most of us can imagine.
I am always very hesitant to turn this into an 'American' discussion. Yet the reality is that most of the rest of the world has managed to travel for years with a 44lb per passenger checked baggage limit, and a smaller carry on limit which is often strictly enforced.

Sometimes I fear that in North America people are so worried about not offending others and the lack of enforcement which results simply serves to encourage those who do not follow the rules.

While many may consider the German airport and Lufthansa staff harsh for their straightforward methods, I personally find the resulting efficiency much more enjoyable. Sometimes there is no harm in telling people that they must in fact follow the rules! :idea:

Well, okay - as of 1 AM Delta time, no changes on the website. It's loading verrrrrrrrry slooowwwwwwllllly, but we're still allowed two checked bags at no charge.

I'll look again when I wake up.

Delta updated the CoC, but still hasn't updated the main website. Not ethical to have the CoC contradict the main website.

Well, okay - as of 1 AM Delta time, no changes on the website. It's loading verrrrrrrrry slooowwwwwwllllly, but we're still allowed two checked bags at no charge.

I'll look again when I wake up.

Also a good thing to note along with the second bag charge, is the overweight bag charge. Some folks may be suprised when they'll have to pay $85 for thier one bag that is overpacked, vs $25 for the extra bag. When I travel to WDW, I make sure to use my light weight luggage.

As a f/a, it is tough to enforce the carry on luggage by the time it has already reached the aircraft. I have seen the gate agents tag luggage, and inform the customer to leave the bag at the door on the jetway, only to have the customer rip off the tag and bring it on board anyway. The only point where a f/a intercepts carry on luggage, is when it is too large to shove into the bin, or the customer is last to board and the bins are already over stuffed full. I try to make an announcement to plead with folks to put smaller items under the seat in front of them so we may accomodate all of the carry on bags, but that rarely works. The last people to board are out of luck, and I only see this getting worse. Getting on board first will be more important than ever.

To chime in: it is odd, but true in my experience about the lack of respect for rules (generally) for the traveling public. It never used to be this way.
I have had this job for many years, and now for whatever reason, I find myself fighting people on every flight. They'll bring on a ton of carry ons, they'll talk on their cell phone while we are taxiing and I am doing my safety briefing (long after door closing), they'll text on their Blackberry, they'll disregard the electronic devices and keep their Ipod on, and when I ask them to stow it, they reply "it's off!" (stowed?) and they'll be on their lap top while taking off. Most people know the rules, whether printed or verbal, but it does not apply to them. Ok, it is NOT most people (I was getting carried away there), there are always the nice folks on every single flight but they are being quiet.:hug:

I get stuck, and at times, complacent. I get tired of fighting everything, especially on the fourth flight of the day. Most of the time, I'll be able to handle things with a genuine smile, but some days....enforcing is hard. I can only see this getting worse!

So to sum up: don't get stuck with the overweight bag, and board early!!:wizard:

So to sum up: don't get stuck with the overweight bag, and board early!!:wizard:

thank you for your input.... :) . I actually hand out GTEMs to FAs who enforce the rules, even when they are not popular.

However, your last line simply brings up another area where people feel that the rules do not apply to them.

I feel silly boarding on the UA magic carpet, but as I sit in a bulkhead row every week I have no choice but to be one of the magic boarders in order to secure bin space for my very small laptop case. Yet so often I can't even reach the magic carpet due to the people who think that 'UGS/1K/F' actually means 'boarding zone 4'.

So please, DO NOT BOARD until your boarding area is called.

I have a question. Will a 21" upright with rollers fit in the new thing that someone mentioned to see if it could be a carry on. I have never measured it before but have always brought one as a carry on.

As for the question, I will boycott Delta for the way they are deceiving the public and the way they have handled the situation.

I have a question. Will a 21" upright with rollers fit in the new thing that someone mentioned to see if it could be a carry on. I have never measured it before but have always brought one as a carry on.

If it is not overstuffed, 21 inches fits most US legacy carrier restrictions - just. But it is too large for most international carriers.

We often get asked on flyertalk.com how we can 'deal' with the Lufthansa carry on limits, to which we all respond 'just fine!'. I would much rather carry my reasonable sized German Titan laptop bag than the huge, overly heavy American made one I carried for awhile. I can actually fit more into my Titan, including clothing, and still have it be lighter and smaller than the Targus I used to carry.

As for the question, I will boycott Delta for the way they are deceiving the public and the way they have handled the situation.

Linear dimensions have to be no more then 45". Chances are your bag is legal, as long as you don't exapand it.

We are pretty good about using less than one suitcase per person (3 or 4 bags for the 5 of us)

So this new luggage rules/fees dont apply to us and I rather have people who need to bring more on aboard pay for it, as appose to jacking up our fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter