will this work?

Brumeiser

Total Disney Nut
Well my laptop finally bit the dust last weekend. I got a good 6 years out of it. So the question was should I buy a new one? The main thing we used the laptop in the last year was to bring it along on trips and download picture on to it each night and to have wi-fi access. I have a droid so internet on trips is easier than ever. So the main question is there a device that I could download pictures? I found this on amazon Digital Foci Photo Book PBK-080 8-inch Portable Digital Photo Album (Pearl White). It has a 4gb internal memory so if I had a 2 gig card I would be able to download pictures each night. It is never a full 2 gig but a few 100 a day. It has a usb cord but it talked about download pictures from your computer, but not sure if I can download from the album to the pc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think that is more of a portable digital picture frame and still needs a computer to transfer pics. Have you considered a netbook? Some are as low as $200.

For the cost of a netbook, replacment laptop or even the digi frame you can get a few extra memory cards and not worry about downloading each night. Just put in a fresh card each day plus they are considerably smaller and lighter for travel than extra devices.

It has a usb cord but it talked about download pictures from your computer, but not sure if I can download from the album to the pc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Insignia digital picture frame from BestBuy that accepts a variety of cards and can copy from the card to internal memory without a computer (as well as through USB).

You'll want to verify that the device you're looking at can do that, too.

However, IMO, 4G is pretty small for a storage option (even on a vacation). But, as you state, you only take a few pictures a day....

Well my laptop finally bit the dust last weekend. I got a good 6 years out of it. So the question was should I buy a new one? The main thing we used the laptop in the last year was to bring it along on trips and download picture on to it each night and to have wi-fi access. I have a droid so internet on trips is easier than ever. So the main question is there a device that I could download pictures? I found this on amazon Digital Foci Photo Book PBK-080 8-inch Portable Digital Photo Album (Pearl White). It has a 4gb internal memory so if I had a 2 gig card I would be able to download pictures each night. It is never a full 2 gig but a few 100 a day. It has a usb cord but it talked about download pictures from your computer, but not sure if I can download from the album to the pc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Other than "a few 100 a day.", you didn't say what type of camera you use (megapixels = memory) or the method you use to record (JPEG vs RAW or both). All of these equate to the memory you will need for the trip. Because I shoot in RAW + JPEG with a 10 megapixel DSLR camera and I shot thousands of images, I used over 50 gb of memory. I brought five 8 gb cards for two camera bodies and downloaded the images each night to the laptop and a portable hard drive. Some may say that is overkill, but I wanted to ensure I had some redundancy in my storage. If you are using a P & S in JPEG mode then your needs will be far less. You will have to determine what your needs are and go from there.

it is a 12.2 megapixel GE e1255w camera. I thought netbook but they have no dvd drive so how could I burn a dvd of the pictures like before and move them to my desktop? JPG is the format I use. I thought digital frame but we go camping in a rv and space is a issue, so that would be out because of the size. Thanks for the info so far and keep them coming.

To move files between computers, you should just network them. A $15 router is all you need. If concerned about a physical backup on the road, then get an external dvd drive. They are also cheap.

One additional note, according to Foci's web site for the product:
» Copy albums directly from memory cards or USB flash drives to internal memory without needing a computer

However, if you were looking for a longer-term storage item, something like this would probably be a better solution:

Digital Foci Picture Porter 35 PPR-350 250 GB Digital Photo Manager with 3.5-Inch LCD Display

Devices like these are designed to a photo backup, they've got much more storage (though a smaller LCD) but can read memory cards without a computer, too.

If you are not worried about redundancy then I would just use additional memory cards. That would be the cheapest and most compact (travel) way. For your camera you can probably get away with class 4 cards and those are very cheap.

If you are not worried about redundancy then I would just use additional memory cards. That would be the cheapest and most compact (travel) way. For your camera you can probably get away with class 4 cards and those are very cheap.

This is how I'd go if I were shooting jpeg. Cards are cheap these days and travel easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter