Will they let me go down the resort water slide with autistic son?

Carrieberry

<font color=9999CC>Has to post on the right thread
We will be heading to POFQ and then on to OKW where the new slide is. I was wondering, my son loves slides and I know he will love both of these. Will they let me go down with him in between my legs rather than send him down alone? I am sure he would be ok with a life jacket and DH waiting at the bottom, but I was wondering all the same. Thanks!

They probably will not let you go down together, but you could ask. With my son, who is also autistic, I tell the lifeguard at the top of the slide, if there is one, they hold onto him and I go first. Then I am at the bottom to get him. At a local waterpark, I decided to see what would happen if he went first, and it took me 1/2 hour to find him. The people at Disney are very special needs oriented, they will do what they can to help.

as well....

BUT!:)

I would post your question over on the Resorts Board..I know someone would have a more definitive answer for you:)

HTH!

:sunny:

When we were at BB last summer DS1 (16) wanted to let his DB (12) on the smaller rides. The Lifeguard said no and to see the man in charge. DS1 told him it wasn't fair that as his brother was disabled he couldn't go on the bigger rides or the smaller ones because he was too big. The lifeguard in charge said it was fine for DS2 to go on the smaller rides and he would tell the other lifeguards. Ds2 really enjoyed himself.

Caron

On most slides, two persons must not go down together.

If two other persons accompany the disabled one on the larger water slides, it might not be necessary for cast members to intervene.

One non-disabled person goes first, and at the bottom of the slide stands off to the side. Then the disabled person goes. Then the third person dilly dallies (in a standing position so a CM can't push him) after the light turns green (Disney uses lights to signal the safe following distance) giving the first person time to guide the second person to the exit.

Note: If inner tubes or other devices are used, the disabled person has to be strong enough to hold on to them.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I'm quite certain it would not be allowed for safety reasons. Your weight behind your child would possibly mean 2 people (one heavier than the other) coming down in the same space. The chance of one of you making the other go under or get injured is fairly high.
Probably the best would be to have one member of your group go down (or be standing at the end waiting for your DS) and one behind him so he is not at the top of the slide alone. You probably would need to talk to the lifeguards about it because they would normally want the "landing space" for the slide cleared before the next person (your DS) comes down and you need someone there to "receive" him.

We stayed at POFQ in August, and my 9 year old autistic son loved the water slide. The first time, I explained to the lifeguard that he has autism....then I let my DS go down, with my SO at the bottom to steer him away from the end of the slide. At POFQ, I was allowed to use the slide, so I went down after him.. However, on the Disney cruise, adults were not allowed on the slide, so I would just wait with him, send him down, and then walk back down. The lifeguards have always been understanding. The hardest part is waiting in line! Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter