Will the new Star Wars movie kill Star Wars land?

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by Zooey72, Aug 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM.

1. Zooey72

Zooey72 Mouseketeer

Maybe 'Kill' is a bit overboard, but I do think the general failure of the recent Star Wars movies is going to be a drag on the park in some ways. I am still going to enjoy it, but I am hoping they will not push any of the new garbage movies they have been producing. I would like to see Luke, Chewwee, Han and Leigha, but I have no interest in seeing any of the new people. IMO Star Wars ended with "Return of the Jedi". I am by no means alone in this opinion, many die hard Star Wars nerds like myself have given up on the brain fart that Kathleen Kennedy has produced with the new series so much so that after "Solo" tanked Disney thankfully canceled some of the spin offs. They still have to do episode 9, and that has to be weird for them. They have trapped themselves in a box where they are going to have to spend a lot of $ on a movie that is destined to bomb.

All that aside, I personally will enjoy the new Star Wars land, but I just hope they don't try to put any of the content from the recent garbage movies in it. They are still building it, and with any luck they will change any kind of attraction that has "Rey" or "Kylo" in it. I am not sure if they will do it, because they are trying to push the movies with the parks and vice versa. However Disney has been smart enough in the past not to push some of the bad animated movies they have had (There is no 'Hercules' attraction). Putting any of the Disney produced stuff in it will take away from the real Star Wars movies that existed before Disney destroyed the franchise.

And this not a full on Disney rant. I think what they have done with the MCU is incredible. I saw "infinity War" 3 times in the theater. I think it is awesome that they bought the rights to the rest of the Marvel universe and I can't wait to see what they do with X-men and stuff like that. PLEASE Disney, don't do to the MCU what you did to Star Wars!

2. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mrcase77

mrcase77 Mouseketeer

Except the new movies aren’t a failure. Domestically, they two new mainline films are the #1 and #8 highest grossing films of all time. It’s a franchise that has been made across 3 generations of fans now and each generation thinks the one that came out when they were kids is the best. I work with a lot of millennial s and they all think the prequels are the superior movies in the series. Ask any gen x’er and clearly the originals from their childhoods are the best. Everyone has their own opinions, and that’s ok. But, these aren’t failures. None of the trilogies have been.

Chaitali and BrianL like this.
  5. EdmondD

EdmondD DIS Veteran

That'd be like asking if I was going to stop liking chocolate because I ate one of those Hershey Kisses that's been sitting around since Christmas and it had gotten a little chalky.

6. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Yeah, Solo is considered a flop, but only because the budget was out of control because of reshoots. If it had come in around Rogue One, then it'd be okay (or close to it). It's amazing that a movie that makes almost $400M worldwide can be considered a failure.

mrcase77 likes this.
  7. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Also, as a late breed Gen-X'er (1978), I actually really like the Prequels, in some ways more than the OT. I am such a bad nerd, but that's the way I feel.

mrcase77 likes this.
  8. mrcase77

mrcase77 Mouseketeer

I do think it’ll be interesting to see if they throw in any of the animated series characters. Like if we’ll see Ahsoka Tano walking around (which would be sweet)

I also think Solo came out too soon after Last Jedi. They really do need that year in between.

Same. I like them all. Lots of fond memories with them all watching with different family and friends over the years.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    BrianL likes this.