Will the Disneyland Subs Finally Surface?

Darian

DIS Veteran
My Disneyland spies tell me major work is currently underway over at the Submarine ride in Disneyland. All new maintenance lights and electrical wiring through out the ride tunnels have been installed and a new security camera system is in progress. New show lighting is also nearing completion. A new ventilation system is also being installed. The place is crawling with Imagineers.

It looks like the subs will sail again and soon. But as what? The ride animatronics are not in place, but are rumored to have either been rehabed (my guess) or replaced with something of an Atlantis theme (doubtful, but who knows?) With the water leak in the lagoon fixed some time ago, very little remains to be done for a ride restart. There could be an early restart... or it could wait for the 50 year celebration.

Very interesting.... photos to follow. (before the video cams are installed for sure...)

Darian

Miceage mentioned this little rumor as well.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al030503a.htm

I didn't used to keep up with Disneyland news like I do WDW, but I thought I'd read where the DL subs (like those in Florida) had simply deteriorated too far to ever be servicable again? Apparently mistaken, and for once it's a good thing. Certainly $10 million (or more; a modest price overrun should not be permitted to derail this effort) invested here is far, far better than a new spinner for about the same price.

DC7800,

Thanks for the link! What a great website! That certainly explains why, all of a sudden, there is tremendous activity with the submarine ride. It sure looks like the decision to restore the submarine attraction has been made.

The subs themselves are (surprisingly) still in "good "shape - their engines have been maintained and were started and run on a regular schedule. I hear the plan right now is to convert them to run on Compressed Natural Gas, which is a fairly simple process according to a diesel mechanic friend. When the subs were retired, there was a good deal of maintenance that had been deferred - anyone remember the leaks in the hatch seals that drenched the people sitting under them?

While I'm glad the subs will be sailing again, I'm a bit disapointed that in all probability it will just be the same old sub ride - even if it is restored to its former glory. It seems Disneyland has become the stepchild of the Disney company. Just look at the new Pooh ride. Its a considerably cheaper version than the Tokyo Pooh ride, and not even as good as the WDW version. Here's hoping Jay Rusulo can break Cynthia of her evil ways....

Darian

Usually children are totally amazed at something simple, if its too complex they may be afraid, my two kids 5 and 9 would love the sub ride, I rode it in '66 when I was 9, it was to me the best ride in the park, it opened up my eyes to imagination, adventure, technology.

Now 37 years later I have been a marine engineer, traveled extensively, forged a multimillion dollar facility in Alaska.

I think Walt helped guide my future.......:D

I hope they do something with it. I loved that attraction. It was cheesy but I always looked forward to it.

:bounce:

Here's hoping Jay Rusulo can break Cynthia of her evil ways....

Uh oh, it looks like somebody has fallen for the hype and blamed everything on Cynthia.

Cynthia never did anything to hurt Disneyland. Paul Presslar was head of Disneyland when the Subs came out. Paul Presslar nearly Destroyed Disneyland. Cynthia has managed to keep it fairly safe while putting up with DCA a project forced on her by Burbank.

My understanding on the "reason" the Subs (may) return, is that they want something in place when Space Mountain closes for over a year come Labor Day.

I am not sure if the Subs can really "take place" of Space but it will be nice to see the Lagoon "alive" again.

Hi YoHo!

Actually, I think you are quite right about Cynthia. She certainly wasn't the evil genious behind the decline of Disneyland, and from what I've seen she has tried to mitigate the effects of Herr Eisner and his lackey, Mr. Pressler. BUT she can only do so much in the face of upper management's directives and policies.

My thought was that people tend to continue doing the job the way they were trained, the way they have done it for years. My concern was Cynthia would continue doing her job the "Pressler way" even after Pressler was gone... hence my comment about Mr. Rasulo changing her... ways of doing business.

Clearly, my choice of words could have been better and less confusing. I do hope Mr. Rasulo is able to erase the "Pressler way" things are done at the park.

Say, MickMan - I should have some pix of the Sub ride restoration soon. Whats the DIS policy on posting that kinda stuff, anybody know?

Will the Subs Sail by Summer? Sweet!

Darian

Hey Darian, its all good.

The concern is that Rasulo will jut get rid of her.
She was brought in by that other guy that got fired. Thus, Rasulo can get rid of her and bring in his own person.

Al Weiss down in florida is NOT a presslar guy and thus his job is a bit more safe. It's purely buisness.

Heck, the Lady maintained her offices on Mainstreet, how bad can she be!

From what I've seen, she's cute too. Hmmmm I wonder if she ever gives those "walk in walt's footsteps" tours.... uuhhh never mind. This is a family board after all....;)

Darian

They said it would cost a minimum of 10 million to re-open it almost in the same condition it was when it closed. Is it really worth it? Some rides re-done cost about as much.

Gosh, 10 million?!?! Yikes they sure aren't getting their monies worth... there isn't that much that has to be done....

Darian

PS I should have my pix of the refurb ready to post soon...

Originally posted by USFFan8814
Will they re-launch the WDW subs??????:bounce: :confused:

From what I've heard, that is very unlikely. Sorry not to have better news. The WDW attraction, from what I've heard, would need much more work to get it going... and where are the WDW subs? Isn't one parked out at Castaway Cay? Aside from the lagoon and que area, there isn't much left. I've heard the "guts" of the ride have either been removed or have rotted away to scrap.

In comparison, the California submarine ride is basically intact. One sub does have its seats removed, but thats not a big issue, as the seats are supposidly still there. The subs were started on a schedule to keep the engines "alive." Much of the underwater scenery (inside the sub building) was removed for safe storage, and some of the items in the outside lagoon as well.

It will be interesting to see what the final price tag is. Hope this helps.

Darian

The Sub isn't "Docked" At Castaway Cay it is sunk out in the Snorkeling area.

Unfortunatly, it doesn't look much like the Nautalis anymore. At least it didn't when I saw it last year.

Originally posted by YoHo
The Sub isn't "Docked" At Castaway Cay it is sunk out in the Snorkeling area.

Unfortunatly, it doesn't look much like the Nautalis anymore. At least it didn't when I saw it last year.

Oh No!!! The photo I saw musta been years old then... it was on the surface in the photo...

Was it sunk intentionally do you suppose? Is it rotting or what?

I was trying to post a photo of the disneyland subs refurbishment but can't figure out how to make it happen... I guess this is kinda the wrong place to be askin' about tech support, but since its a submarine photo... pretty pleaseee with sugar on top????

Darian

I've seen that picture as well and it is quite old. The sub was intentionally sunk as one of the "secrets" of the Snorkeling area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter