Will I regret not seeing the Candlelight Prosessional?

my 8 year old enjoyed it in 2016, but he also was begging us to take him to a broadway show and we took him for his 10th birthday to see Wicked. He LOVES live performances. I don't think it's as much an age thing as an interest thing - there are adults who would be bored too. he was enthralled. It is not to be missed for us and if this is your one big shot at christmas at Disney, I'd do it.

BTW we are jewish but we see it as a performance, not a religious thing.

We love CP and would never miss it. My niece and nephew saw it at ages 6 and 8 and also enjoyed it. My advice is this - either do it fully or don't do it at all. Sitting across the way, listening to the music without being able to see the show, will be a less-than-ideal experience for your first viewing. It's like anything else. You get what you pay for. If you want to fully experience CP and really enjoy it, invest the time and money to do so.It's our favorite Christmas activity at Disney - your opinion may be different. Only way to know is to try it. :-)

We are a religious family and go every year we are there. It is a highlight of the trip for me and part of celebrating the holidays.

Our youngest was maybe three the first time he went and we have never had issues with the kids. But we go to Church every week and they go to religious schools ... so this is another way to worship God ... the real reason for the season.

I think I would enjoy it, but DS and DH would be bored, so I have not booked it for our upcoming trip. I might regret it a little after the fact, but there's only so much time, and so many possible things to do, that I'm trying to pick ones we'll all like.

We're doing it on Christmas Eve because we may never get another chance to go at Christmas, and we always go to Mass at home on Christmas Eve. This will kind of replace Mass for us.

Mass is held at the Contemporary hotel on Christmas Day, if you are interested in attending. We go to the service and follow it up with lunch Chef Mickey's.

Very, very personal question, I think that the main audience are comprised of people that enjoy choral music despite religious belief. If you and your family enjoy choral music then it's a must do, apart from that I would think there's very little appeal, especially given that it's about a 45 minute show

I agree. The music is beautiful,and no matter your ideology, it is possibel to sit back and appreciate the Processional.

I appreciate all of the input! My goal for this trip was to do everything Christmas themed possible which is why I planned to see the show, but I’m really thinking just listening to it while nearby may work best for us. I think that extra money could be put to better use somewhere else. I had just heard it “can’t be missed” but not sure that applies to kids!

I will begin by saying that I book it every time we are there for the Holiday Season, and every time my family joins me, even though DD and DSIL insist that "this time is the last time". I also need to add that my DGD saw it when she was 10, the last time DD's family joined me for the holiday season trips, and she was bored. She is 17 now, and I do nto have high hopes that she will love it more, but I am pleased the the family is all joining me once again.

Now, no one can tell you if the cost is worth it, but if this is your once and done Holiday trip, I would consider keeping the package. The music is gorgeous, and the narration is usually mesmerizing. If you truly are rethinking the cost, and will resent this is your kids end up bored or they take a nap, cancel the package and hang around in front of the pavillion. I have done this and at one of the performances I was treated to Surround sound when a group of young opeople who had performed in an earlier show gathered and sang through the whole show. It was my favorite experience, bar none. Your family can tour and you can enjoy the show.

IMO, there are no absolute "must do" experiences in WDW, and I would not twist into knots trying to manage shows, meals, attractions, or events that people insist you cannot miss. You do what you do, and you see what you see, and you will not know or care what you missed, so enjoy the moments you make.

IMO, there are no absolute "must do" experiences in WDW, and I would not twist into knots trying to manage shows, meals, attractions, or events that people insist you cannot miss. You do what you do, and you see what you see, and you will not know or care what you missed, so enjoy the moments you make.

So smart - and so true for every travel destination. Online forums like these are invaluable for help and advice, but sometimes they can add a lot of pressure/stress to a trip - no one can hit all the highlights of a destination in one average length vacation....you pick and choose. And maybe ease the pressure by realizing that it doesn't HAVE to be "one and done" - if you really love it, there's probably a way to return again - even on a tight budget.

My advice, having both attended the show and sitting outside the theatre, near the American pavilion: get a taste of it first by sitting outside the theater...grab some hot dogs, burgers and drinks...sit back and enjoy the music. At worst, you'll be bored - and have spent minimal $$$ to find that out. At best, if you enjoyed, but wished for a better view, then you know the money is worth spending and you can book a dinner package next time.

No, not at all. We saw it once (without a dining package) and never felt the need to see it again. Definitely not worth getting a dining package, and probably not worth making a point of seeing otherwise

I went with my mom once - she really enjoyed it and I found it too long. ( She was in her 60s and I was in my 30s ).

If it were me, I'd grab a seat at one of the tables in the American Pavilion, get a snack and sit until the kids get restless.

Saw it once years ago after wanting to see it for a long time, I was underwhelmed. I like Christmas and enjoy all the decorations at WDW but I wouldn't bother to see it again unless someone traveling with me insisted on it.

Last edited:
I have a dining package for this and am considering dropping it. I’m pretty sure my kids will be bored with it, they’re 11,10 and 7. Plus the price difference in the show package or just a meal with my AP discount would be around $70. Is the show worth approx 90 mins of our time and $70 extra? I’m just not sure!

Candlelight Processional is my very favorite Christmas activity at Disney World. But unless your children have gone to concerts with orchestras and enjoyed them, you might want to skip it.

Personally I cannot imagine not seeing it--my friends and I are going 5 times and seeing 5 different celebrity readers! so excited to see Neil Patrick Harris for the first time!

Very, very personal question, I think that the main audience are comprised of people that enjoy choral music despite religious belief. If you and your family enjoy choral music then it's a must do, apart from that I would think there's very little appeal, especially given that it's about a 45 minute show
For us, DH and I for that trip, CP(We had the dinner package) and Osbourne Lights were the two highlights of our trip. We enjoyed CP as Lavar Burton, Reading Rainbow was the narrator, it was beautiful, would do it again definitely. With that being said, don't think I would have done it when our boys were young, don't think that it would have held their interest. Now that they are adults, think they would love it, extremely festive for the holidays. :santa:Hoping to do it in 2019!::yes::

We did it once and would never do it again. Like everything at WDW, some will love it some won't.

It reminds me of going to see a rocket launch over at Kennedy Space Center. It was something I am glad I did once, because I got to experience what it was like, even though it wasn't as interesting as I hoped. I think seeing it and just being mildly entertained is better than wondering if I missed out on it.

We are considering going for a quick 2 night trip to see it only because step-son is performing in it with his high school choir. If I were there during that time and didn't have anyone I know performing, I'd probably stop and listen to a song or 2 from the back and then meander on my way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter