• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will I regret 2 use years?

kungaloosh22

"It all feels real because it is."
We currently have Poly points, with an April use year. We're probably going to add 200 Copper Creek points this month, and are considering an Aug or Oct use year instead of April. We're also hoping to add a GFV resale add on later this year (170 points or so).

Until recently, I've always thought we'd prefer to just have 1 use year (for obvious reasons), but now I'm considering 2:
  • We travel most of the year, but until recently, not in the winter, except an occasional early Dec trip, and April UY isn't too bad for that. If we needed to cancel an early Dec trip, we'd still have almost 4 months to reschedule, much of which is in the easier time of year to book, and it's likely we'd cancel an early Dec trip before Dec anyway.

However, I took a trip in January this year, and loved it. So it would be nice to have a better use year for winter trips, though certainly not essential.

• We have a big trip next spring, where we need 2 2-bedrooms, and could seriously use the extra CCV 200 points for 2016. That would require an Aug or later use year. But I don't want to focus so much on current needs that I don't properly consider the long term.

• I like to use wait lists and OTU points, and having more of those things available is a plus in my book.

• I like to plan and am good with details, so I think I could handle the "book keeping" aspect of juggling multiple use years. But perhaps that will get harder as I age? Then again, I'll have even more time to juggle stuff when retired.

• We frequently do split stays, (on purpose!), so I don't mind that it might be harder to combine points for a single reservation. But it's good to have options for a longer stay at a single resort, in any case.

Do you have multiple use years, and regret it? Or actually even prefer it? Is there something else I'm not thinking about?

We have two due to ignorance when we first bought. IMO one is much easier and less to keep track of and less mistakes. We also like booking at 11 months, knowing that we get what we want, not using waitlists, and not transferring points. We like it simple, life is tough enough.

:earsboy: Bill

Each use year is a separate membership. To me, the most significant disadvantage comes when one wants to combine points from different memberships at the 7 month window. Since points from more than one membership cannot easily be used to book the same night, if one needs to do that to use up points, it involves a call to MS. Those mean losing the hour advantage that online booking provides and possibly a transfer.

If you don't believe you will need to combine points at 7 months on a regular basis, or don't believe that lost hour will be a big deal for the times or booking category you prefer, it appears to me that you understand the other challenges you may face with more than one membership. Only you can really know if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

FWIW, I am glad we have only one membership. I retired last June, have had DVC since 1999 and am busier now than I have ever been. Honestly, sometimes, I barely remember that it's time to make a reservation! Don't count on having more time after you retire. It just fills up with things other than work - and that happens very quickly! Who knew? :teeth:

Last edited:
We currently have Poly points, with an April use year. We're probably going to add 200 Copper Creek points this month, and are considering an Aug or Oct use year instead of April. We're also hoping to add a GFV resale add on later this year (170 points or so).

Until recently, I've always thought we'd prefer to just have 1 use year (for obvious reasons), but now I'm considering 2:
  • We travel most of the year, but until recently, not in the winter, except an occasional early Dec trip, and April UY isn't too bad for that. If we needed to cancel an early Dec trip, we'd still have almost 4 months to reschedule, much of which is in the easier time of year to book, and it's likely we'd cancel an early Dec trip before Dec anyway.

However, I took a trip in January this year, and loved it. So it would be nice to have a better use year for winter trips, though certainly not essential.

• We have a big trip next spring, where we need 2 2-bedrooms, and could seriously use the extra CCV 200 points for 2016. That would require an Aug or later use year. But I don't want to focus so much on current needs that I don't properly consider the long term.

• I like to use wait lists and OTU points, and having more of those things available is a plus in my book.

• I like to plan and am good with details, so I think I could handle the "book keeping" aspect of juggling multiple use years. But perhaps that will get harder as I age? Then again, I'll have even more time to juggle stuff when retired.

• We frequently do split stays, (on purpose!), so I don't mind that it might be harder to combine points for a single reservation. But it's good to have options for a longer stay at a single resort, in any case.

Do you have multiple use years, and regret it? Or actually even prefer it? Is there something else I'm not thinking about?
Like disneynutz, I purchased different UYs out of ignorance. All additional addons have been to just one UY and it works out better, to the point where I am considering the sale of the one contract that is the outlier. If transferred points could be seen and used with the online reservation system, I wouldn't have a problem with multiple UYs because keeping track of the points isn't difficult. It's just more convenient to be able to use the points when they are all under the same membership.

We have 2 UYs and are pretty happy with them. Since we originally bought in 8 years ago, our vacation times of year have shifted a little. We initially bought a Feb contract, but that was a few years before we started doing the January marathon every year. So now we have Feb and Oct. The Feb one is great for spring/summer trips. The Oct one is great for F&W and marathon weekend.

We have 4 UY because we bought points at three resorts on the secondary market. I haven't found it to be a problem. We have enough points under each UY that we don't usually have to combine points.

I have two use years. I use the two memberships for separate and distinct purposes. My one small BWV contract is used solely for Food & Wine trips. In my opinion, that's the only way two use years work out. If you plan to combine points for a single vacation, multiple use years will be more trouble than it's worth.

I have one only, and over 1400 points. I think an advantage to having more than 1 UY, is that you get 2 waitlists for each UY, and quite frankly, I could use 3 wait lists very often. I mostly book 11 months out, but sometimes life changes.

I have two UY's - Oct was bought first because it covered the times we were most likely to go - summer at WDW was going to be rare if ever. But then with VGC the main plan was for my June BD and I got an April UY to give more leeway with our travel plans. I have since added to both UY's - the April works for fall/Dec travel too and it does take a little juggling but it's not been bad. And, the ability to have up to 4 waitlists has been a good thing since they made the change and restricted the number you could have.

IF I hadn't had a plan for the second UY though I'd honestly have preferred to just have one UY.

I have one only, and over 1400 points. I think an advantage to having more than 1 UY, is that you get 2 waitlists for each UY, and quite frankly, I could use 3 wait lists very often. I mostly book 11 months out, but sometimes life changes.

::yes:: A nice bonus i didn't realize we were getting when we bought 2nd UY contract

I haven't messed up, yet lol

Having banked points going forward seems to make booking process easier overall.

Thanks everyone! Lots of great perspectives here. I'm still torn and going back and forth. I'd love to keep things easy and flexible, so that calls for 1 use year. I also like the advantages of 2 use years and think we'll have enough points in our biggest use year (370 or 420, depending on where we add GFV points), with banking and borrowing if needed, to cover the 7 month bookings that we're likely to want.

Since points from more than one membership cannot easily be used to book the same night, if one needs to do that to use up points, it involves a call to MS. Those mean losing the hour advantage that online booking provides and possibly a transfer.

If transferred points could be seen and used with the online reservation system, I wouldn't have a problem with multiple UYs because keeping track of the points isn't difficult. It's just more convenient to be able to use the points when they are all under the same membership.

Hmmm. Losing that hour to call MS and not being able to see and use transferred points online sounds like the biggest disadvantage I hadn't considered. I'm going to have to stew about this awhile....

We have 2 UYs and are pretty happy with them. Since we originally bought in 8 years ago, our vacation times of year have shifted a little. We initially bought a Feb contract, but that was a few years before we started doing the January marathon every year. So now we have Feb and Oct. The Feb one is great for spring/summer trips. The Oct one is great for F&W and marathon weekend.

Yes, I see the Jan & late Feb RunDisney events as another advantage to having a different use year than April. My DIL loves the events, and I'm seriously considering starting them, too. This isn't something I'd considered when I chose our April use year. It's tough to pick 1 perfect use year when you travel year round.

Hmmm. Losing that hour to call MS and not being able to see and use transferred points online sounds like the biggest disadvantage I hadn't considered. I'm going to have to stew about this awhile....

Regarding this - I haven't transferred in years for a 7 month booking and it's not unusual to use from both our UY's for them. I did a couple of times but just found it to be more bothersome for me. I just book nights in both of them and at some point ask MS link them as continuing stays. I'll say this was much more seemless years ago but it generally works ok now. Or you can book the first nights under the one membership at 8 and at 9 call to transfer the points and have MS add whatever additional nights you want for that 7 month booking.

Again, not too difficult but still, one UY is easier.

U

Unless you have a specific reason to have more than one, I wouldn't. Pluses are the added wait lists and to be able to target trips certain times of the year. But it works best if you travel to specific resorts those times and can reserve 11 months out.

Agree with pretty much everyone's comments. One UY is definitely the easiest way to go. We take trips throughout the year and multiple UY's have been good for our different trips. We also like being able to transfer points in/out from different memberships and the additional waitlists. In my opinion, most people will not have much problem juggling 2 UY's. Beyond 2 requires a spreadsheet (at least for me).

I appreciate all the additional input.

Regarding this - I haven't transferred in years for a 7 month booking and it's not unusual to use from both our UY's for them. I did a couple of times but just found it to be more bothersome for me. I just book nights in both of them and at some point ask MS link them as continuing stays. I'll say this was much more seemless years ago but it generally works ok now. Or you can book the first nights under the one membership at 8 and at 9 call to transfer the points and have MS add whatever additional nights you want for that 7 month booking.

Again, not too difficult but still, one UY is easier.

Thanks Kat, good tips!

I've been going back and forth on this. Still undecided, but that's okay. Once I make up my mind, at least I'll know I considered my options thoroughly. :) I'm currently thinking "keep it simple and stick with my April use year for everything," but the desire to travel more in Jan/Feb without worry of losing points is nagging at me.

I did think of another question: If I have a split stay, when it's time to book dining or fast passes I can usually book everything when it's time to book the first part of my split stay. The system recognizes that I have a split stay and lets me book for the whole stay at once. (Granted, this sometimes gets messed up for no particular reason, but it usually seems to work.) But if I book a split stay at 2 resorts using 2 different DVC membership numbers, can I still book all my dining or fast passes at once? I assume I'd still have just one My Disney Experience account with 2 separate DVC member accounts... correct?

I did think of another question: If I have a split stay, when it's time to book dining or fast passes I can usually book everything when it's time to book the first part of my split stay. The system recognizes that I have a split stay and lets me book for the whole stay at once. (Granted, this sometimes gets messed up for no particular reason, but it usually seems to work.) But if I book a split stay at 2 resorts using 2 different DVC membership numbers, can I still book all my dining or fast passes at once? I assume I'd still have just one My Disney Experience account with 2 separate DVC member accounts... correct?
When you buy a contract with a different UY, the new membership number for that UY gets added to your DVC account. You login to your DVC account as you always have and when booking reservations, can select which membership and contract(s) in that membership to use for that booking. You can see all your reservations (from all memberships) on one screen. It's actually quite easy and convenient.

Hopefully, others can chime in regarding the split stay question.

We have 4 UY because we bought points at three resorts on the secondary market. I haven't found it to be a problem. We have enough points under each UY that we don't usually have to combine points.
We have 4UY as well - haven't found it to be a problem at all.

I've been going back and forth on this. Still undecided, but that's okay. Once I make up my mind, at least I'll know I considered my options thoroughly. :) I'm currently thinking "keep it simple and stick with my April use year for everything," but the desire to travel more in Jan/Feb without worry of losing points is nagging at me.

Separate DVC reservations act the same in MDE as separate cash reservations made through Disney. Your MDE account will remain the same and you can add your DVC reservation the same way that you would if you were to book a room-only reservation through any 3rd party - just click the "Link Resort Reservation" button, paste your confirmation number and type in the last name on the reservation. Repeat for the second reservation.

I was planning on buying our second contract with the same use year. But then a perfect contract came up with banked points and a different UY. So we are waiting for ROFR now and will hopefully have two contracts and two UYs soon. Good luck!

We have two use years: April and August. April was our first purchase and it was a direct purchase. Honestly, we really didn't understand use years when we made that purchase, but it has worked out OK for us thus far. We just made a resale purchase with an August use year. We decided the pro's outweighed the con's to get a contract at BLT for a great price. We have also started traveling at different times of the year, so having the August use year will cover those times of the year better than the April use year.

Good luck with your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter