Will be in Tampa....can I make this work?

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
I'm going to Tampa for a couple nights at the end of February. I desperately want to go to WDW for just a day since I'll be so close (I live in the midwest). It's for work so I don't have complete control over the flights. In other words I can't change the flight to leave from Orlando. But, I think I could extend the trip for a day. I just don't know how to make it work, though. Even if I could find a day off I feel like I would spend so much time renting a car, driving to Orlando, then driving back and dropping off a car. I can't see how it would be worth it. I looked to see if there's a direct bus between Orlando and Tampa and I don't see anything like that. I guess I'm just thinking out loud in case anyone has any other suggestions.

I'm going to Tampa for a couple nights at the end of February. I desperately want to go to WDW for just a day since I'll be so close (I live in the midwest). It's for work so I don't have complete control over the flights. In other words I can't change the flight to leave from Orlando. But, I think I could extend the trip for a day. I just don't know how to make it work, though. Even if I could find a day off I feel like I would spend so much time renting a car, driving to Orlando, then driving back and dropping off a car. I can't see how it would be worth it. I looked to see if there's a direct bus between Orlando and Tampa and I don't see anything like that. I guess I'm just thinking out loud in case anyone has any other suggestions.
Pick up the car the night before and drop it off late one night. So if your day off it Tuesday, pick up the car (possibly from Tampa Airport) at say 7p Monday. Then Tuesday morning, get up, drive to WDW (just know I4 traffic can get bad around the Disney exits), do your WDW thing, then return to Tampa Tuesday night and return the car. That's the only way I know to maximize the time. In theory I guess you could get a hotel room in Kissimmee Tuesday night and drive back to Tampa Wednesday, but again, you'll have traffic to deal with and may not be worth it.

It's seriously close. It's 90 minutes from Tampa to Orlando, barring traffic tie ups. I'd totally do it if I were that close - in fact, we're actually flying into / out of Tampa this trip due to flight costs. I was able to get a really reasonable car rental rate with National to go between the 2 cities.

I love this board. I thought everyone would tell me I'm being ridiculous and unrealistic to even try....now I think I'm going to do it.
My wife grew up in Tampa and her parents still live there. The trip is beyond easy. In fact, unless you leave at rush hour in the morning, 90 minutes is probably a conservative estimate. Driving normal speeds, we're usually able to make it to Disney property in about 70 or 75 minutes.

So, I found out that I can reserve a rental car right at my hotel and it's very inexpensive. I already ordered my park hopper! I'm going to have 1 amazing, long, solo day in the park. I'm planning to start at the MK and have lunch at CHH. Then, the second half of the day I'll be in Epcot...my favorite! Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter