Wilderness Lodge Restaurants

richard3330

Cirque Fan
Hi,

We are staying at The WL for our first time this Christmas and we were wondering if anybody had any comments or views on any of the Restaurants/Cafes/Bars at the WL.

Is there anywhere that is a 'must-see' and are there any specific dishes you think our worth a try, which are your favorites and are there any you had a bad time at?

Thanks for any input in advance,

Richard.

WL Lodge offers 3 choices:

Roaring Forks -- counter service (never used it)

Whispering Canyon Cafe -- table service with an attitude; loud, sometimes wild, often very loud. Some people equate it to an adult version of Romper Room with food. It can be quite fun and amusing, if you don't mind the noise. Great for kids; adults might want to wear ear plugs.

Artist Point -- table service geared toward adults. Quiet, romantic, excellent menu. Great for adults; kids might be bored. I highly recommend AP for a wonderful adults-only dinner. If you are staying at WL, this is a DO NOT MISS.

My wife and I love the WL. I have to agree with Steve regarding AP. This is perhaps one of the best restaurants on Disney property.
The Lodge its self is magnificent. I recomend exploring the entire resort.

another vote for artist point! fabulous!! we do enjoy whispering canyon cafe for breakfast, but not the other meals. the lodge is wonderful at christmas time--enjoy!!:p

We loved Wilderness Lodge for both breakfast and dinner, but others hate it. It is very loud at dinner, but we find it amusing and entertaining. I've heard the food is iffy, but we stuck with burgers which are hard to ruin. I would think you would want to at least try it. We ate at Roaring Forks for snacks, but it gets very crowded in the morning. There is also room service and I believe appetizers at the bar.

We enjoyed AP for our first anniversary dinner two years ago. It was wonderful! If you like to try Pacific Northwest food like buffalo, salmon, etc. its out of this world. Try their berry cobbler for dessert!! YUM!! YUM!! YUM!!

Also, enjoyed the Territory Lounge for a few hours this last trip to watch a football game and get out of a monsoon-like downpour. The staff was great and very attentive.

We haven't dined at Whispering Canyon so I can't help you there. But I am envious-- we have been to the Wilderness Lodge the last several trips but we haven't gotten to stay there yet!

loveswdw

We agree that both restaurants are great, but we also like to enjoy the Territory Lounge (I think that's the name) before our meals. It's dark and has atmosphere (maps, artifacts,etc.) and has great specialty drinks. A nice way to relax, even if we're not having a dinner at WL.

I also agree on Artist Point. The best dishes are the maple-glazed cedar plank salmon and the berry cobbler. YUM!!!

Does AP serve Tuna? DH hates Salmon and he's not a big steak eater...what other options?

We have eaten at Roaring Forks many times.......the Counter Service area is way too small....AKL's Mara had it beat hands down in food options and SIZE.:D

I'm in agreement with Artist Point lovers (we'll be eating there ourselves our first nite this coming May) and I also like the Territory Lounge.
As for "Whispering" Canyon--well, the less said the better.

As for "Whispering" Canyon--well, the less said the better.

You said it, Uncleromulous!!!. :p

The other choices are quite nice, and the food is good. The service is also very good. Roaring Forks is counter service, and most of the food is made to order. We had breakfast and dinner there, and had no complaints. I didn't go to Territory Lounge, but DH and my parents did, and liked it. The view from Artist's Point is great, as is the service. We have only eaten there for breakfast (which they no longer serve), and are looking for an opportunity to try dinner soon!

We have tried all but Artist Point which we paln to dine at this December. Roaring Forks is good for a quick breakfast or lunch. We happen to enjoy Whispering Canyon. It can get loud, but you always have the option of asking for a quiet table..which they do have .over by a fireplace. it can be very nice. We dined there one Dec. evening and watched as the carolers in Victorian costume sang by the fire. It was one of the most romantic evenings we had our whole trip. territory Lounge is very relaxing, indeed......A nice Harvey's over ice on a wet evening hits the spot for even folks who are not normally drinkers........Enjoy.... You cannot go wrong at WL........IMHO.......

I don't have much to add about Artists Point (wonderful for adults), Whispering Canyon (why do they call it Whispering?), or Roaring Forks (fine for what it is). I can highly recommend the fried or rotisserie chicken from room service. We had a very relaxing inexpensive dinner while enjoying our balcony and a nice bottle of wine. If you are having a quiet evening at the resort, give it a try before or after the Electric Water Parade!

Artist Point is our personal favorite.Was just there Friday night without DW and DD.:( The food was excellent as usual.It will cost you but IMHO well worth it.Like Krissalee mentioned,AP berry cobbler. If you like fresh berries, this is it:)
They use to do a killer fresh Halibut with a saffron butter sauce that was my favorite even above the Salmon but it hasn't been around in awhile since they tweaked the seasonal menu with a Chef change.If you go, ask for POK our favorite CM in the world.She is a joy to be around.

Eeyore and Uncleromulus...

Why must you always put down my beloved Whispering Canyon...I guess for the same reason I always put down Boma!!!

We love Whispering Canyon, as many of you know ;) ! We LIKE the antics and think the food is good hearty grub, though certainly NOT refined. DH likes the all-you-can-eat skillet, esp. the pulled pork, but if you get this be sure you like smoked meats. They also have bottomless shakes which DH and I split without any funny looks from our waiter. Chris B. Corny is very funny, he did this song with the kids once "big head, small hat" and also "my little buttercup". The kids were rolling on the floor.

If you go to this place you MUST have a raucous sense of humor and not embarrass easily, as the wait staff WILL tease you...but in my opinion it's in good fun!

By the way Richard, we will be staying at Wilderness Lodge the same time as you. I'm VERY excited (as is my family) to see the lodge all decorated for the holiday!! You are going to love it.

I agree with Erikarate. We love Whispering Canyon! The last time we were there we laughed all the way through lunch. My DS-5 and DS-2 loved it also. It is lots of fun especially if you get a great CM. Besides who goes to WDW for peace and quiet! Probably the same people who get annoyed with strollers in MK.

Have a great trip. I hear the WL is beautiful at Christmas.

Ate at Whispering Canyon Sat night & loved it. It was the highlight of my mom's trip (age 56). Very entertaining & the food was good. Waiter was very honest (told us the meatloaf was "average"). I ordered the pork chops at his request & it was great! Be sure to ask for catsup! Oh, & take a "group picture".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter