Wilderness Lodge - No Availabilty Early December?

Runnsally

DIS Veteran
Hi, all. WDW website showing no availability at the Wilderness Lodge for the first week of December 2017. This seems surprising. Am I missing something? Any reason why rooms would be released at a later date? Thanks much.

WL is also very popular that time of year due to it's Christmas decorations. I see Copper Creek Villas has availability. These are DVC studios and villas in the South Wing of WL.

Yes, there really is no availability. It's Christmas and the resort is a favorite that time of year, there are significantly less rooms since converting so many to DVC, and now that construction is winding down, folks are eager to see it and stay after keeping away from it for the last 2 years.

Also, free dining was offered this year during that time. It really brings in crowds. Last year (during same time) we couldn't even switch to a different deluxe resort because of it. Keep checking though, something might pop up!

Also, free dining was offered this year during that time. It really brings in crowds. Last year (during same time) we couldn't even switch to a different deluxe resort because of it. Keep checking though, something might pop up!

This is true FD was offered for check in 11/25-11/27. However, wilderness lodge for FD check in 11/25-11/27 was gone before FD dropped. Not to say people didn't prebook in advance and then apply FD but there were no rooms on 4/24. When I found out upgrade on mods I wanted to price out WL. No go.

Edited to say - I think disney has a ton of rooms all over refurbbing with more people wanting to stay onsite then usual. Only thing to explain lack of rooms. I think this is going to shock people who typically start booking their vacations at the 6 month mark.

Hi, all. WDW website showing no availability at the Wilderness Lodge for the first week of December 2017. This seems surprising. Am I missing something? Any reason why rooms would be released at a later date? Thanks much.

I'm sure guests have booked the rooms already in anticipation for free dining and lower room costs as well as the "big reveal." The first week of December is popular at Disney in general. It's so popular in fact that we no longer go that week because it's almost impossible to find rooms and dining. I'd rather jump all the way in and go during Christmas week when yes, of course the parks can be crowded, but there are more rooms and dining available.

They have literally halved the amount of regular hotel rooms available and one side of the hotel is DVC. I think it's just going to be really hard to get a regular hotel room from now on :(

It is really sad. It was a beautiful resort and it really didn't need all of those changes. I personally think this is worse than the bungalows.

I think the Poly bungalows are much worse, blocking some rooms from MK castle views, and others having to look over the rooftops of those ridciulous huts.

It's quite straightforward why Disney did this. Wilderness Lodge's hotel side was quite frequently available, and DVC runs at 95%+ occupancy.

The Copper Creek Villas represent 3,321,966 Disney Vacation Club points. List price for those points is $176/point, and annual dues pay property upkeep. Even if you figure in heavy sales discounts, in excess of what is reality, at $160/point that's $531 million in points sales.

I'm sure guests have booked the rooms already in anticipation for free dining and lower room costs as well as the "big reveal." The first week of December is popular at Disney in general. It's so popular in fact that we no longer go that week because it's almost impossible to find rooms and dining. I'd rather jump all the way in and go during Christmas week when yes, of course the parks can be crowded, but there are more rooms and dining available.

It is really sad. It was a beautiful resort and it really didn't need all of those changes. I personally think this is worse than the bungalows.

Sad? The lodge itself doesn't look any different. The hotel rooms were converted to villas, but the lodge looks the same. Geyser Point and the new pool are fantastic additions, and I think the cabins add to the ambience of the resort. They don't obstruct anything or ruin the feel of the resort. I'm excited for the changes to be finished, so we can stay there again.

(It is also worth mentioning that 3+ million points all get dues paid against them at more than $7/pp per year. The math is compelling for Disney. $21M is a lot of upkeep and management.)

It's not just the first weekend - it's practically everyday until the week before Christmas! I too have been obsessively looking to no avail. And yet, the week before Christmas is totally open - every room view and club level is available. But, a flight in early December is $90, while the week before Christmas is $300!! AKL has a big tree too, though right? :santa:

Sad? The lodge itself doesn't look any different. The hotel rooms were converted to villas, but the lodge looks the same. Geyser Point and the new pool are fantastic additions, and I think the cabins add to the ambience of the resort. They don't obstruct anything or ruin the feel of the resort. I'm excited for the changes to be finished, so we can stay there again.
They cut down a lot of the trees around WL to make these additions, taking some of the "wilderness" feel away from Wilderness Lodge.

They cut down a lot of the trees around WL to make these additions, taking some of the "wilderness" feel away from Wilderness Lodge.

They are planning to put grown, tall trees back around the lodge once construction is done. The woods view rooms are also anticipated to return next year.

The info can be found on the main WL page in this forum.

It's not just the first weekend - it's practically everyday until the week before Christmas! I too have been obsessively looking to no avail. And yet, the week before Christmas is totally open - every room view and club level is available. But, a flight in early December is $90, while the week before Christmas is $300!! AKL has a big tree too, though right? :santa:

Yes, the AKL lobby and tree are amazing! I like it more than WL. We were there the week after Thanksgiving last year - it was lovely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter