Wide angle at night - any suggestions?

GDUL

DIS Veteran
We will be in Washington DC later this month and I was thinking of taking a night time tour of the monuments while they are lighted. I have a Canon 50D and a Tamron 10-24 mm wide angle lens. Any suggestions so that I can, hopefully, take some great shots? TIA!

In your post you didn't mention tripod. That is a must for night shots of DC. There is a plethora of shots to take. My favorite is from the Lincoln towards the Capitol. There is the Reflecting Pool, WWII Memorial, Washington Monument and the Capitol, all lined up. If you want a shot of the White House, they turn the lights off, I think, at 10 pm. The Iwo Jima statue is also impressive at night. You won't have a problem finding good opportunities! Here are two shots taken from inside the Washington Monument, handheld, through the thick, smeared glass.

WM Cap view by Gianna'sPapa, on Flickr

WM WH view by Gianna'sPapa, on Flickr

We will be in Washington DC later this month and I was thinking of taking a night time tour of the monuments while they are lighted. I have a Canon 50D and a Tamron 10-24 mm wide angle lens. Any suggestions so that I can, hopefully, take some great shots? TIA!

definitely bring the tripod and lens like the 18-55IS, 50mm and 30mm if you have them, photography is allowed in the Smithsonian and other mall museums

Bring the tripod, and get CLOSE! That's the nicest thing about a UWA lens - it lets you get close to the buildings and still fit them in. Find areas where you can get up close, but keep enough background to see some night sky around it...just don't cut off the building. Some very cool up close shots at Lincoln Memorial of the statue itself, some down-low shots right on the water of the reflecting pool looking across, experiment with framing - stand under trees and use the branches to 'frame' the buildings in your shots if it's not a windy night (it doesn't work well when windy), closeups of some of the quieter memorials would work great at night - Vietnam memorial wall would be very powerful closeup, filling the frame close but winding away, with a long exposure. The walking soldier statues would be an awesome subject for getting right up close and taking a wide angle night shot...low angles might be very interesting for those to make them feel bigger and more dimensional, like they are walking right over the camera (I believe that's the Korea War memorial). Take a shot or two from inside the Lincoln or Jefferson Memorials looking out at the rest of the town - wide angle will allow you to get a shot through the columns and still pick up a wide landscape night scene. Just a few ideas off the top of my head!

While tripod will let you get great low ISO shots, you can get some hand held shots in well lit areas with a fast lens and the 50D if you don't mind high ISO noise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter