WHY would people buy used APs off of ebay?

DMRick said:
And take a chance of being suspended for auction interference? I'll pass.

Ugh. Such an overly litigious society we live in. eta: I guess it didn't cross my mind to see the negative side of my attempt to do something thoughtful!

It's not like I was defaming the seller, I simply asked the bidder if she knew how much the auction sold for retail. (I remember now that it was a child carrier.)

I suppose things might be different when you're dealing with "other" kinds of people... but we mothers who bid on children's items on Ebay actually appreciate it when fellow mothers "look out" for us.

I'm so glad that the bidder I contacted was kind enough not to call the Ebay police on me! :rolleyes:

..The 2 auctions I found on ebay were for a child's ticket - and while not ethical.. it would probably work, because the seller is right, they don't scan kids fingers - for AP's or for MYW. The pass also expires 6/26/06 -- just a few days from now .. though the auction ended 6/11/06.

--heather

It looks like the original one mentioned was yanked. It doesn't show up as a live auction or a completed auction. I am thinking ebay yanked it.

Dawn

heathrow42 said:
..The 2 auctions I found on ebay were for a child's ticket - and while not ethical.. it would probably work, because the seller is right, they don't scan kids fingers - for AP's or for MYW. The pass also expires 6/26/06 -- just a few days from now .. though the auction ended 6/11/06.

--heather

Why do you have to bring your insults over to yet another thread? Can you ever just be nice? Didn't your mother teach you with all the other things she taught you, if you can't say something nice....well you know how the rest goes. It's a fact..it's called auction interference. Some people may not have realized that you can be suspended if you email a bidder on an auction, and suggest to them that they might want to look elsewhere. I believe most on the DIS boards have appreciated my eBay advice..and I wouldn't want someone counting on the money to be suspended because of bad advice.

MyZoeJane said:
Ugh. Such an overly litigious society we live in. I should have known that YOU would come up with some way to turn a kind gesture into something NEGATIVE! :rotfl2:

It's not like I was defaming the seller, I simply asked the bidder if she knew how much the auction sold for retail. (I remember now that it was a child carrier.)

I suppose things might be different when you're dealing with "other" kinds of people... but we mothers who bid on children's items on Ebay actually appreciate it when fellow mothers "look out" for us.

I'm so glad that the bidder I contacted was kind enough not to call the Ebay police on me! :rolleyes:

MyZoeJane said:
Ugh. Such an overly litigious society we live in. I should have known that YOU would come up with some way to turn a kind gesture into something NEGATIVE! :rotfl2:

It is perfectly fine to e-mail a seller to ask them a question or confront them about an inappropriate item.

It is NOT OKAY to e-mail a bidder during an auction and warn them about the item or tell them that it is overpriced. That is considered auction interference (and rightfully so) and can get you suspended from ebay.

It sounds like a nice thing to do, but it is far too easy to abuse that process. What you should do if you feel a seller is doing something inappropriate is to contact ebay with the information.

disneysteve said:
It is perfectly fine to e-mail a seller to ask them a question or confront them about an inappropriate item.

It is NOT OKAY to e-mail a bidder during an auction and warn them about the item or tell them that it is overpriced. That is considered auction interference (and rightfully so) and can get you suspended from ebay.

It sounds like a nice thing to do, but it is far too easy to abuse that process. What you should do if you feel a seller is doing something inappropriate is to contact ebay with the information.

It's a shame isn't it Steve, what some people get away with on eBay..but we agree to go by eBay's rules when we join up. I know a lot of people sell from the Dis to earn extra money and otherwise, and it's important to follow the ebay rules.

MyZoeJane said:

I think most people understand the intent behind your email and that you were trying to be helpful.

I know I would have appreciated it :)

Kramer said:
I know I would have appreciated it :)

But would the seller? If the bidder cancelled the bid and told the seller why, that's where it gets sticky. I doubt it's the bidder doing the reporting..you're right, they prob appreciated it.

However, it's important for those who count on eBay to realize that auction interference is a real way to get suspended. I assume many don't know that, and it would be a shame. It's nothing negative..it's just an eBay rule that some may not have known about.

MyZoeJane said:

Ummm, maybe you have some history with DMRick that I am not aware of, but I have to tell you I had her exact same thought. That IS auction interference and according to ebays terms of use, you can be suspended for it. It is not a matter of being negative or being nice, it is a matter of what the rules say.

Regarding paying more than retail on eBay: I see people do this all the time. An item will be bid up higher than retail plus shipping still has to be added. :confused3 It is something I don't get. One thing Dh and I have noticed this with is infant formula. Some of the formula auctions will be bid up to near double the retail price per can. Many times I suspect shill bidding is at work, but I can't prove it.

disneymom3 said:
Ummm, maybe you have some history with DMRick that I am not aware of, .
Yes, she didn't like my opinion on another thread..so it got confused with this one :confused3

babiesX2 said:
Regarding paying more than retail on eBay: I see people do this all the time. An item will be bid up higher than retail plus shipping still has to be added.
I don't get it either. I know sometimes the item can't be bought in a different country, but with the internet, almost anything can be bought on line.

I'd love to know why people buy "used" AP's. I agree the child one would be useable..but the other's? How much did the one's sold end up going for? Cheap enough it's worth it for the parking?

babiesX2 said:
Regarding paying more than retail on eBay: I see people do this all the time. An item will be bid up higher than retail plus shipping still has to be added. Many times I suspect shill bidding is at work, but I can't prove it.
Shill bidding is irrelevant. Even if there is shill bidding, it can't raise the final bid to more than the winner was willing to pay. So the winner still had to place the bid that eventually won.

At all auctions, live and online, egos often take over and people want to win just for the sake of winning, even if it means overpaying for the item. Makes no sense but happens all the time.

DMRick said:
Yes, she didn't like my opinion on another thread..so it got confused with this one :confused3

It didn't come off the way I intended... I was being a smarta$$... I completely see how it didn't come off that way.

My bad. It's been fixed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter