• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why travel insurance should be mandatory

I agree with BigDisneyOE. Medical expenses are not the only aspect of travel insurance that you should be looking at. Most travel insurance also have "concierge" advocates who work with and for you to arrange things. If your passport is stolen, they will help arrange to get you a replacement. They know their way around the system, so you are not on your own. And many policies will pay any fees you owe for the new passport, also. And if you end up missing the boat, or a flight, or whatever, they will help you get back to the ship, etc, and pay for that, also, in most cases.

I ended up in the ER in Alaska as I was getting ready to head to the airport to fly home. Not only did the travel insurance concierge work directly with the ER to pay my bills (I never saw a bill), but they got on the phone with me and worked with the Airline to re-book my now missed flight to the next day, and payed for the fees the Airline charged to do it (and I was told the flight the next day was sold out, so that took some doing!) She then got me booked into a hotel by the airport for the night. It was SO nice having someone advocating for me, and working through the process with me. And I wasn't even in a foreign country! How much more necessary would it be in a foreign county!

Sayhello
http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=377986

Another thing to consider even with insurance....there are policies with clauses that specifically say they will not cover if you were participating in certain activities.....read your policies and make sure your insurance covers what excursion activities you plan.

This is listed under exclusions in one policy:

13) Participation as a professional in athletics (applies to Part A
only);
14) Participating in bodily contact sports; skydiving; hanggliding;
parachuting; mountaineering; any race; bungee cord
jumping; and speed contests (applies to Part A only).
The following exclusions apply to Baggage/Personal Effects Loss

MJ
That's a really good point, MJ. Some people think "I have insurance, I'm good to go in any situation" but that's just not always true. You really need to check if you're planning something "extreme".

Sayhello

I guess I am more accepting of the risks involved and basically have never bought trip insurance of any type. Being in my early 40's, I simply feel that I would be the type of person who subsidizes the much more likely elderly traveler who runs into a health-related problem on a vacation. Until I am in my mid-50's, I do not see much need. For all the money I have not spent on trip insurance over the past 20 years or so, I am sure I could have two or three complete vacations with a several day hospital stay thrown into the mix.

DWF

We always purchase trip insurance when we cruise. It is just the cost of vacationing for us. But I would never mandate it for others.

That being said; I believe that most people that choose not to buy trip insurance will be the first ones on this board to whine why DCL owes them a refund.

Because the weather or mechanical problems at home caused them to miss the boat; it's not our fault, or dear someone got hurt while on an excursion; it's not our fault, or dear someone got sick while on board; it's not our fault. So you owe me DCL. I've read some of these posts all ready and I read replies where some people actually agree with them :scared1::headache::sad1:

I have bought trip insurance for every cruise I have been on, but do NOT feel it should be mandatory. Highly recommended, but NOT mandatory. I do not buy from DCL, but through AAAs insurance which I purchase within 14 days of booking. I have a pre-existing heart condition that wouldn't be covered by DCL insurance if I were to have a problem before or during the cruise. With AAAs insurance, pre-existing is covered as long as you get it within the 14 days of booking. I rebook my next cruise onboard and transfer the reservation to my AAA agent and the paperwork for the insurance from AAA is usually waiting for me when I get home. All I have to do is call him with how I want to pay it.

We always purchase trip insurance when we cruise. It is just the cost of vacationing for us. But I would never mandate it for others.

That being said; I believe that most people that choose not to buy trip insurance will be the first ones on this board to whine why DCL owes them a refund.

Because the weather or mechanical problems at home caused them to miss the boat; it's not our fault, or dear someone got hurt while on an excursion; it's not our fault, or dear someone got sick while on board; it's not our fault. So you owe me DCL. I've read some of these posts all ready and I read replies where some people actually agree with them :scared1::headache::sad1:
This is a big part of why I bought it for our net cruise. All the talk of Norovius. If we get sick a few days, insurance will cover it. The way I understand it however is you must see the medical staff and I have read conflicting things on how they treat people with potential Noro.
Anyone have any experience with being sick for a part of your cruise and filing an insurance claim?

We do not purchase insurance, never have. We understand the risks and choose to live with them. Please do not assume that most people who don't purchase the insurance will be whining that someone owes them something. You may have read some posts in which people whine, but please do not lump most people with the few posts you have read.

I don't think OPs post was about the merits of buying or not buying trip insurance it was about making it mandatory to buy.
Sometimes I buy the insurance sometimes I don't depending on what I consider the risk to be. It should always remain a personal choice.
If I choose not to then i will have to suffer any consequences But just because I buy insurance does not give DCL a free pass.

I do feel that DCL is responsible for things on board the ship including mechanical. They own and maintain the ship so who else would it be? I also feel they are responsible for sickness if they do not thoroughly sanitize between cruises when there were norovirus symptoms on board, I feel they are responsible for some things that may happen on excursions you book through DCL as well. They put their name on it and took a cut of the fee. Acts of god, home issues, plane delays, and some accidents I can agree with you about whining.But it isn't whining going after them if they were in the wrong, insurance or no insurance.

I agree with BigDisneyOE. Medical expenses are not the only aspect of travel insurance that you should be looking at. Most travel insurance also have "concierge" advocates who work with and for you to arrange things. If your passport is stolen, they will help arrange to get you a replacement. They know their way around the system, so you are not on your own. And many policies will pay any fees you owe for the new passport, also. And if you end up missing the boat, or a flight, or whatever, they will help you get back to the ship, etc, and pay for that, also, in most cases.

I ended up in the ER in Alaska as I was getting ready to head to the airport to fly home. Not only did the travel insurance concierge work directly with the ER to pay my bills (I never saw a bill), but they got on the phone with me and worked with the Airline to re-book my now missed flight to the next day, and payed for the fees the Airline charged to do it (and I was told the flight the next day was sold out, so that took some doing!) She then got me booked into a hotel by the airport for the night. It was SO nice having someone advocating for me, and working through the process with me. And I wasn't even in a foreign country! How much more necessary would it be in a foreign county!

Sayhello
http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=377986

SayHello are you talking DCL insurance or did you go private. If so who was your private insurer?

Also, would the situation that occured in the OP be covered by you usual DCL insurance. I thought that DCL charges the most and covers the least, especially if you are off on an excursion. Anyone know?

We have coverage through my husbands work with a company called TravelEx that will do the liason thing if we are out of country (whether on business or personal). That makes me feel better but I still want coverage that will cover the costs like going to the Medical clinic on the ship.

SayHello are you talking DCL insurance or did you go private. If so who was your private insurer?

Also, would the situation that occured in the OP be covered by you usual DCL insurance. I thought that DCL charges the most and covers the least, especially if you are off on an excursion. Anyone know?

We have coverage through my husbands work with a company called TravelEx that will do the liason thing if we are out of country (whether on business or personal). That makes me feel better but I still want coverage that will cover the costs like going to the Medical clinic on the ship.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/ has an excellent comparison tool.

I guess I am more accepting of the risks involved and basically have never bought trip insurance of any type. Being in my early 40's, I simply feel that I would be the type of person who subsidizes the much more likely elderly traveler who runs into a health-related problem on a vacation. Until I am in my mid-50's, I do not see much need. For all the money I have not spent on trip insurance over the past 20 years or so, I am sure I could have two or three complete vacations with a several day hospital stay thrown into the mix.

DWF

I also never buy travel insurance. Insurance companies are scum in my opinion. The prey on people's insecurity to sell them a product that most people don't really need and then charging them 5 times what it really should cost. I do see why some people but it though, if you are flying in the day of the cruise, want to engage in risky excursions like ATVs, and have health conditions it is for you.

I went private (purchased through www.insuremytrip.com). I actually had a policy with TravelEx (Travel Light policy.) They were very easy to work with, and I had a very positive experience with how they handled the incident, the claim, and reimbursements.

I'd call TravelEx and ask them if they can do some sort of addition to the policy that you have through your husband's work.

As far as the situation in the original post, it would depend on the policy. I imagine most would cover an ATV excursion (but you'd want to check first!) Obviously it was not a pre-existing condition, so I don't see any reason why she would not have been covered by travel insurance unless the policy explicitly excluded doing ATV's. Her medical bills would have been covered (although they might have had to pay up front & be reimbursed by the insurance. That's the kind of thing that's up to the insurance company) and assuming they purchased a policy that had at least $30,000 worth of medical evacuation coverage, that would have been covered, too.

DCL's insurance is not bad in situations like this. Where it is lacking is if your medical issue is due to a pre-existing condition (since the policy they sell does not have a pre-existing condition waiver). Also, their policy only covers things that are booked through DCL, so if you book your airfare yourself, it's not covered. But the policy is actually provided by Access America, which is a very good insurance company. DCL's policy tends to be more than policies you can buy on your own.

DCL's policy says this:

On-Site Hospital Payments
We will advance payments to Hospitals or guarantee payments up to the amount provided in medical expense coverage (see
Emergency Medical and Dental Benefits), if needed, to secure Your Medically Necessary admission to a Hospital.
So they would probably have paid the advance money the Hospital was requiring for her treatment.

It also lists these exclusions:

6. Participation in professional or amateur sport events (including training);
7. All extreme, high risk sports including but not limited to: bodily contact sports; skydiving; hang gliding, bungee jumping, parachuting; mountain climbing or any other high altitude activities, caving, heli-skiing, extreme skiing, or any skiing outside marked trails;
8. Scuba diving (unless accompanied by a dive master and not deeper than 130 feet);
9. Operating or learning to operate any aircraft as pilot or crew;
It doesn't list ATV's, but if you intended on doing that sort of excursion, you might want to ask your insurance company if it's excluded or not (it doesn't seem to fit any of the listed categories, so I tend to think it would be covered).

Sayhello

I feel they are responsible for some things that may happen on excursions you book through DCL as well. They put their name on it and took a cut of the fee.
You do know they aren't right? Have you read the contract?
ALL ARRANGEMENTS MADE FOR OR BY GUESTS FOR (a) TRANSPORTATION OR TRAVEL (BY AIR, WATER OR ON THE GROUND), (b) SHORE EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES, (c) TOURS, (d) THEME PARKS, (e) HOTELS, (f) RESTAURANTS, OR (g) OTHER SIMILAR ACTIVITIES OR SERVICES, ARE MADE SOLELY FOR GUESTS’ CONVENIENCE AND ARE AT GUESTS’ RISK. THE PROVIDERS OF SUCH SERVICES ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS AND ARE NOT ACTING AS AGENTS OR REPRESENTATIVES OF THE CARRIER.

THE CARRIER DOES NOT OWN OR CONTROL ANY SUCH INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS, MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND AS TO THEIR PERFORMANCE AND DOES NOT UNDERTAKE TO SUPERVISE THEIR ACTIVITIES, EVEN THOUGH CARRIER MAY COLLECT A FEE AND EARN A PROFIT FROM ARRANGING FOR OR TICKETING AND SALE OF SUCH SERVICES.

THE CARRIER DOES NOT MAINTAIN THE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR OR THIRD PARTY’S CONVEYANCES, FACILITIES OR INSTRUMENTALITIES AND DOES NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THEIR SAFETY OR SUITABILITY. ANY GUEST USING SUCH SERVICES OR ACTIVITIES SHALL BE DEEMED TO AGREE AND CONSENT THAT ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, ILLNESS, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, MENTAL SUFFERING OR PSYCHOLOGICAL INJURY TO THE GUEST OR LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY SHALL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PROVIDER OF SUCH SERVICE OR ACTIVITY.

GUEST FURTHER AGREES TO RELEASE AND HOLD CARRIER, CARRIER’S AFFILIATES AND CARRIER’S SUPPLIERS HARMLESS FOR ANY SUCH INJURIES, DAMAGES OR CLAIMS RESULTING FROM THE USE OF ANY SUCH SERVICES OR ACTIVITIES. GUEST AGREES THE CARRIER, CARRIER’S AFFILIATES AND CARRIER’S SUPPLIERS SHALL NOT BE OR BECOME LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY ACT OR OMISSION OF ANY SUCH PROVIDER PERTAINING TO, OR ARISING FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH SUCH SERVICES OR ACTIVITIES.
Which also means it is a myth that the ship will always wait for you even for their excursions.

Mandatory? No, I don't think it should be. It affects you and your family/group/friends.

Really really really smart idea? Absolutely

And if I never, ever need it (knock on wood), that's money I'm willing to simply consider a sunk cost of our vacation.

- Dreams

I am not a fan of trip insurance but my wife is, so we buy it. I don't think it should be mandatory but I do like the Disney policy of automatically including it on the quite when you book through the web site.

I think passengers should be required to identify their trip insurance during the booking process. If they select "no trip insurance" as an option, they should be forced to read and agree to a "waiver" that basically explains what they are liable for. It need to be clear what risk they are taking.

Many people assume their personal health insurance will cover all their medical expenses even while traveling out of the country. Some will, some won't. Others assume that the US Embassy will move heaven and earth to get them home from wherever they are stuck. They might, but they might not ... and even if they do ... it won't likely be fast.

Personally, I have a benefit through work that extends to me even while on personal travel. It is a concierge type service that assists with making emergency travel arrangements and medical assistance if something happens while I am out of the country. It is called Medex Assistance (www.medexassist.com). In short, it is group travel insurance. Because my wife pretty much insists on travel insurance, I'm double covered.

I am not a fan of trip insurance but my wife is, so we buy it. I don't think it should be mandatory but I do like the Disney policy of automatically including it on the quite when you book through the web site.

I think passengers should be required to identify their trip insurance during the booking process. If they select "no trip insurance" as an option, they should be forced to read and agree to a "waiver" that basically explains what they are liable for. It need to be clear what risk they are taking.

Many people assume their personal health insurance will cover all their medical expenses even while traveling out of the country. Some will, some won't. Others assume that the US Embassy will move heaven and earth to get them home from wherever they are stuck. They might, but they might not ... and even if they do ... it won't likely be fast.

Personally, I have a benefit through work that extends to me even while on personal travel. It is a concierge type service that assists with making emergency travel arrangements and medical assistance if something happens while I am out of the country. It is called Medex Assistance (www.medexassist.com). In short, it is group travel insurance. Because my wife pretty much insists on travel insurance, I'm double covered.
Some travel insurance companies (such as TravelEx) contract with Medex for their concierge service (it's specified right on my policy: "* Travelex Travel Assistance provided by MEDEX Assistance Corp."). They were the ones who helped me so extensively when I was injured on vacation in Alaska. Wonderful service. I wonder if I could contract directly with them for trips where I don't buy insurance (domestic trips to visit family & such)? Might be worth it.

Sayhello

As mentioned before, check with your current insurance carrier. My health insurance will reimburse me for trips to the ship doctor. It also includes transportation. So if I need to be life-flighted from the ship, my insurance will pay for it. Granted it doesn't cover loss of luggage or inability to finish a trip.

Just make sure you are not "over-buying". Knowing what you have will help you determine what you need.

You do know they aren't right? Have you read the contract?
Which also means it is a myth that the ship will always wait for you even for their excursions.

Yes I have read the contract and I also know the cruise contract makes them not responsible for anything other than passage on a ship to somewhere.

So are you OK and won't say a thing if you show up to the port and they put you on a 50 year old tanker and feed you cheese sandwiches while floating around for 7 days because the contract says they can? My point was that it is not whining to expect the cruise company to address issues which they have a business interest in and which they can control.

As a customer, I still would expect them to step up when something goes wrong on the ship or on an excursion which they are profiting from. From what I have read on these boards DCL does try to make things right even though the contract says they don't have to do anything. There is no way they would stay in business if they did not.

I buy it specifically because my medical insurance will not cover me if I am outside of the US. I agree that it's not a good value purchase, but it also generally costs less than the medical insurance that I buy to cover me when at home. Yes, I know that I pay for both for those weeks when I cruise.

My logic is that I could afford to lose the price of a cruise (I wouldn't be happy, but....) However, I'd be majorly grumpy if I got some huge medical bill because I had no coverage.

Mandatory? NO. But it's a cheap way for me to get out of the US medical coverage.

You know who got home the quickest after the Costa Concordia incident? Those with travel insurance. You can expect a cruise line to do what is right, but there are just times when travel insurance just makes entirely total sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter