Why online check in?

jaz0308

DIS Veteran
I have never done online check in...never really considered it, really, because I like to speak with the person at the desk in case I don't like the room assigned and want to ask for a switch. I also like any additional info they may give me at that time.

I notice that most people on the DIS seem to use online check in and I'm wondering if there is some great advantage I am unaware of! I realize it is a shorter line but is there any other advantage? Am I the only one still doing it the old fashioned way?!

I'll be staying at the Poly, if that makes any difference!

I have never done online check in...never really considered it, really, because I like to speak with the person at the desk in case I don't like the room assigned and want to ask for a switch. I also like any additional info they may give me at that time.

I notice that most people on the DIS seem to use online check in and I'm wondering if there is some great advantage I am unaware of! I realize it is a shorter line but is there any other advantage? Am I the only one still doing it the old fashioned way?!

If that's what you want to do, then you probably shouldn't do online check in. For me, I love on line because I don't have room requests, I don't need all the extra info and I just want to get my packet and go. I really don't like standing in a line for twenty minutes waiting for people in front of me to ask questions I already know the answers to. I'm an impatient person.

It's a matter of preference. And, it's not like the CM's don't talk to you upon check in if you do OLCI, they still do....:rotfl:

If you are concerned about not getting the room that you want and will be having a long drawn out discussion about this, then OLCI is probably not for you.

We have been so many times, we don't need the spiel, we just want to get to our room. We even do OLCI for our CL stays, which we are often told not to do.

You're not the only that does check in the old fashion way :). We've never done online check in either. The only advantage that I see with online check in is having a packet ready and waiting for you when you get there without having to stand in line to talk to a CM and go through the check in process. I also prefer to talk to someone when I check in just in case I have any questions or like you mentioned, if I would prefer a different room other than what I've been assigned (pending availability, of course). You can request a different room even if you do online check in, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of online check in if you have to go stand in the regular check in line once you get your packet.

I stopped using it because they assigned us a first-floor room every time. I prefer the opposite.

Good luck deciding and have a wonderful trip.

:)

You're not the only that does check in the old fashion way :). We've never done online check in either. The only advantage that I see with online check in is having a packet ready and waiting for you when you get there without having to stand in line to talk to a CM and go through the check in process. I also prefer to talk to someone when I check in just in case I have any questions or like you mentioned, if I would prefer a different room other than what I've been assigned (pending availability, of course). You can request a different room even if you do online check in, but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of online check in if you have to go stand in the regular check in line once you get your packet.

You don't have to stand in the regular check in line if you do on line check in and want a different room. The on line check in Cast Member will switch you around. However, that does defeat the purpose of those of us who are in the on line check in queue and all we need to do is pick up our packets and go. That's why I recommend using the regular line if you really need a specific room just in case you don't get what you want. I did that when checking in four rooms for a family gathering. We needed two first floor rooms and we had to have them so I just waited in the regular line instead of crossing my fingers and doing on line.

When you check in online does it tell you what room and building you will be staying in?

What I go does the CM give at standard check in vs online? It has been a long time since we have been, and we are staying at AOA.

I'm trying to learn the merits of each. One thing I want to make sure to get at check in us a birthday button for DD.

What I go does the CM give at standard check in vs online? It has been a long time since we have been, and we are staying at AOA.

I'm trying to learn the merits of each. One thing I want to make sure to get at check in us a birthday button for DD.

You can still get a birthday button.

I think it's just personal preference. We don't use OLCI, but we drive and usually check in before 7:00 am. There isn't a long line at that time. Our room has been ready more often than not when we arrived, but that isn't guaranteed with OLCI either.

It's not what the Cast Member "gives", but the length of time for the Cast Member to answer questions or find that specific room should you not get your requests met but really want/need them.

With online check in, your packet is ready to go and all you are supposed to do is show your photo ID, your credit card (if you have room charging), be told your room number (if the room is ready) or your building (if the room is not ready), and then leave. My total time with a Cast Member is usually less than a minute.

Now, you can ask the on line check in Cast Member questions, you can ask for a different room or building, you can do all of that and the Cast Member will be just as pleasant as any other Cast Member. However, on line is supposed to cut down on waiting time for others.

With the regular check in, feel free to ask as many questions and spend as much time with the Cast Member because everyone else in that line will be doing the same.

Buttons, maps, etc. are available at any line at the front desk, on line or regular.

I still do check in the old fashioned way, you are not alone!:) I've tried online check in 3 times, and each time had some kind of issue. Once, I stood in the online check in line for 30 minutes, standing behind one couple, no CM at the counter. All of those in line thought the CM had gone to check something, but turns out they were in the back. Almost no one at the regular check in line, so there were 3 or 4 CMs standing around, but they didn't come over or look for the online check in CM.:headache: He finally returned and seemed shocked there were 5 or 6 guests waiting.

Another time, we got to our resort and went to the online check in line; CM not there, I walked over to one of the regular CMs. They had a hard time finding my packet, and when they did, it had the wrong info (name, cc, etc.).:faint: Took even longer to get it straightened out than if we had done regular check in.

There was a glitch the 3rd time, but can't recall what it was - oh, I think it was our room rate.

As I said, I gave up, we do regular check in. It is fun to do online check in, feels like your trip is almost here, but it isn't for us.

Oh wow! Thanks for all the info. It seems like online check in is not for me since I actually like getting the whole spiel of resort information! I guess if I was a frequent guest I would just want to get my packet and go! Also, we really want a first floor room because of the stroller so I will just hope for not a long line!

We also do not do on-line check in. We usually will request bottom floor which most people don't so I would just rather wait in line then check on my info there. I am the type of person that if something was wrong with reservation I would let it go so I wouldn't back up the on-line check in line where it is suppose to be quick. But this is just me.:)

They still talk to you, they will tell you info. The only thing they do not have to do is make up the packet. That's it. They will even change your room if needed. Of course then they have to redo or remake (it is said that the RFID cards can be simply reprogrammed but we had to have ours redone over and over on our recent trip) but takes almost no time.

And if you do not want info then it takes less time.

Most of the time we are helped by a normal checkin CM anyway, not the one person at the place where you line up if you've done online checkin.

This seems like a great idea for us since we will probably be arriving around 10 pm or so. We will just want to make it to our room and collapse after travelling indirect via Atlanta travelling all day from the UK. The time difference will still hit us hard and our poor muddled brains will think it's 3 am UK time despite our best efforts. Later next week we will reach our 60 day mark so I can fill all the details in online then and pray everything moves in our favour on travel day. We have never done OLCI before but it looks fairly painless to manage.

I have done online check in every time since it's been offered. I seldom make requests, but the few times I have, they have been met (usually generic requests like upper floor or near lobby). I have never been placed in a room that I considered to be an "afterthought".

There is one time that doing online check in was a definite benefit. I was checking in during one of the multi-day computer updates, when all the systems were down, including front desk. For people who didn't do online check in, they received a KTTW that was a door key only, and the CM had to manually write down all their info, including their credit card info, to be entered later in the system. They also had to go back to the front desk once the computers came back up to get the KTTW that would have room charging capabilities, etc. on them. Because I had done online check in, and my packet was created before the system went down, my KTTW was already set up with the charging privileges and I did not have to go back to the desk. I also didn't have my credit card number written on a piece of paper that could have ended up who knows where. The CM at the desk was very thankful that I had done online check in, as the manual process was very tedious.

So for the OP, it sounds like online check in is not for you, for this trip. But for everyone, if Disney gives notice that their system will be down, and you are checking in during that time, it might be a good idea to go ahead and do the online check in and save yourself some inconvenience.

Another time that it is a good idea to do online check in is if you are arriving at a mega resort such as POP during a popular time. The difference in the amount of people waiting was incredible. There were 4 or 5 in the online line compared to 20 or so in the regular line. Keep in mind that some of the people in the regular line will have billing issues if it is check out time.

Disney is working to cut the lines down by sending CMs out with tablets to assist with simple checkouts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter