Why on earth is Figment so popular at Epcot?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Ever since Epcot brought back the Figment Meet And Greet last year I have never figured out why people now have a Figment obsession and ever since Journey To Imagination was reopened it seems that Figment has gotten more popular than ever? Is it because Figment has a huge fanbase at Epcot or is it because he's a Disney character from people's 80's childhoods? Because after I got my plush Figment yesterday I went to see some Youtube videos of Figment and Journey To Imagination and I couldn't believe my eyes that people have gotten Figment obsessed and Figment merchandise is a big seller at Epcot. I didn't know who Figment was so I got my plush Figment because I collect plush dragons and purple is my favorite color. Who provides Figment's voice because I also didn't know he talked as well but I'm glad I learned about Figment?

He's seen a resurgence lately because of all the changes to 80's EPCOT and the fact that he's one of the last remnants of the old aesthetic and Future World theme.

The 80's and 90's kids are now in their 30's and 40's, many of them have entered the "middle class" and have disposable income. They've become Disney's primary target market as they have young families, like nostalgic merch, etc.

Disney was blown away by the reception of the Figment popcorn bucket from a few years ago and ratcheted up the marketing engine. In the last year, they've teased a movie and Figment visiting Imagineering.

In short, Figment is here to stay.

I think Epcot has a whole new plan to reintroduce Figment back into the park and what I think will happen is that we will see more Figment themed shows and there might even be a Figment character breakfast in the Future World restaurants in the future and Figment might even star in his very own cartoon series on Disney Channel. Based on the success of how the Figment Meet And Greet has been at Epcot why don't they have a Dreamfinder solo meet and greet in the future to go along with the Figment meet and greet. But from the Youtube videos I've seen it is awesome that people carry around the same Figment plush I have so I guess that proves that Figment does have a lot of fans that adore him so much

I am in my mid-40's & Figment was my childhood at Epcot. He sort of disappeared for awhile as other characters/movies moved in, but I am happy he's back! He's a fun character & everyone needs some IMAGINATION. I was excited to meet him last month & get pictures.

One little spark.... 💡:figment:

I still ride Figment at every EPCOT visit. My favorite fireworks show is EPCOT FOREVER since the opening song for the show is from Figment.

20240316_204933.jpg
😍

I never seemed to latch on to him either. He's just not appealing or nostalgic to me in any way. Same with Orange Bird. No affinity whatsoever.

Mickey, Donald, and Goofy will always have my allegiance.

And bring back the ride from about 40 years ago?????
No. I didn't say that. They're not going to do that nor would I expect them to. They could keep the original song and create something borrowing from the original concept though using the rooms themed "Art", "Literature", "Performing Arts", and "Science" but using some of the newer technology that you see from MMRR. I would still want to see the Figment animatronic and Dreamfinder reintroduced somehow. MMRR to me is a throwback to what the dark rides at EP used to be so I think it would work for the Figment ride.

Last edited:
When the ride was new, just...Figment was insight into the minds of the Imagineers. Something that was new and fresh at the time. not only was the ride itself fun, but the post ride area was also chock full of really exciting toys that were carefully cultivated. They were not Disney character toys, but a large assortment of creative toys like you might find at a top science or children's museum. Only a few parts of the original remain, but the area where you can play music was just totally fresh and new back then.

The technology in the post-show area was also new and fresh in the time before cell phones and laptops.
Figment made the idea of art, tech, and STEM fun and cool long before anyone else was showing how cool they all could be. It showed the potential of future tech we now have, and now take for granted, but before we all had it. That's why Figment has staying power.

Things we once just imagined have become reality. All of the future-ism is now gone from the attraction. But once upon a time the pavilion didn't just tell us about the power of imagination, it showed us how much fun we could have when we put effort into turning our imagination to work. We could all be Imagineers.

I also think due to the success of the Figment Meet And Greet Epcot has plans to include Figment more in the park and I think they might give Figment his own stage show and he will be featured in more merchandise as time goes by. As I mentioned in my previous post a solo Dreamfinder meet and greet would be great to go along with Figment's meet and greet. Now I know why people waited five hours last year for Figment's meet and greet? Because I think Figment is gonna be a sought after character to meet and take photos with but in my eyes there is no way I would wait five hours to meet Figment

I do wonder if/how he's related to Elliot.
I don't know if Figment is related to Elliott but Elliott and Figment share almost the same eye style but it might be the same Disney animator who created Elliott for Pete's Dragon that also created Figment. I never knew there was another Figment who loves him just like I do. You should get the same Big Feet Figment plushie that I have to remind yourself of me
Thank you very much for your reply Steve,
Dodger

MMRR to me is a throwback to what the dark rides at EP used to be so I think it would work for the Figment ride.

I fail to see how an all-screen based ride has anything to do with classic Epcot—Maelstrom, Journey to Imagination, Horizons, World of Motion, Universe of Energy. That ride was so cheaply built that if you are in the last train car, you don't even see what goes on in most of the rooms because the action has already happened.

That's not even discussing the terrible queue, cheap torn wallpaper and lack of outdoor shade.

It's the worst of budget Imagineering, in my opinion.

I don't know if Figment is related to Elliott but Elliott and Figment share almost the same eye style but it might be the same Disney animator who created Elliott for Pete's Dragon that also created Figment. I never knew there was another Figment who loves him just like I do. You should get the same Big Feet Figment plushie that I have to remind yourself of me
Thank you very much for your reply Steve,
Dodger
Animator? I don't know this word. Do you mean sketch artist that got each of them to sit for a drawing?

In the clip I shared earlier, Dreamfinder describes Figment, in terms of what parts ov Figment look like other animal parts. Elliot is described as having the head of a camel and the neck of a crocodile in the song "It's not easy" from Pete's Dragon.

Given the timeframe (1977 release to the opening of EPCOT) and the history of the movie, it is easy to see them as cousins if not brothers, of potentially father and son.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter