Why is it so hard to pick the right paint color?!?

HeyIt'sMe

Nothin' to see here folks
I'm off this week so I decided to re-paint my living room, dining room and foyer. The walls were yellow with rustic red accent walls. I was getting tired of so much color on the walls and wanted to go with a nice warm neutral beige and then accent with the yellow & red through my accessories. (I've been watching too much Design to Sell and Sell This House! No, we aren't moving.)

So I had this paint chip for months that I'd been mulling over and went ahead and bought it. I painted yesterday. The color looks nothing like the color chip. It's a cooler, grayer shade of beige instead of a warmer shade of beige (like the chip). I thought it looked strange when I was painting but I know when paint dries it can change. Ugh. The color isn't ugly but it makes the rooms look too cold and sterile. Looks like I'll be painting again later this week. Oh my poor aching back.

Anyone out there have a light warm beige paint color they like?

Next time try the Benjamin Moore samples. :banana:

When we were painting the bedroom, I tried so many samples the whole wall was full of different colors.
The painter laughed because he had to prime it a few times.

Beige is EXTREMELY hard to pick. Seems easy but it is not. I have the same problems with beige on both the walls and carpeting. To the point, that I stopped using them. I painted my whole lower level in a beige once, immediately hated it (it was almost peachy looking) and spent 3 years hating it.

If you think you want to change it at this point (and I recommend you do so), go to Benjamin Moore and get some of their smaller samples. You can buy them for abour $4.99 a piece. Most of the colors that they have in the samples are the "favored" colors. Get some pieces of drywall, or even poster board (but them into 4 large pieces) and paint them. Stick them up on each of 4 walls and let them stay there for a few days. View the samples in all types of light (sunny, rainy, nighttime with indoor lighting, etc). This will give you the best idea of how it looks.

Use several different colors, label the backs of the poster board, and stick them all up there. You will be able to pick the right one!

Beige is EXTREMELY hard to pick. Seems easy but it is not. I have the same problems with beige on both the walls and carpeting. To the point, that I stopped using them. I painted my whole lower level in a beige once, immediately hated it (it was almost peachy looking) and spent 3 years hating it.

Who knew beige would be so hard to pick! That's funny you say your beige was too peachy looking - - that's what I was trying to avoid and then it went too far in the other direction. My DD kept saying yesterday that the walls looked gray and then when DH came home he said it just looked white. I thought it was because we were so used to the yellow that anything else would look bland.

I think I'm going to head out for some paint samples .......

ALWAYS paint a large square 12" x 12" of a couple colors on your walls. See how it looks in day and at night. Most painr places will sell you a small batch. Its worthit!!!

I had the exact same problem. It was SO hard to choose. I wanted something very neutral because it’s a two story foyer and I didn’t want to have to do it again, even if I repainted other connecting rooms. Anyway, I ended up with Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige. It has been used in the HGTV Dream Houses. According to the people on the HGTV site, it is one of the few beiges with no undertones (yellow, gray, blue, green). I like it but I’m still not sure it’s exactly what I wanted. But then again I don’t know if I’ll ever know exactly what I want. It’s just too hard!

Most paint stores now will sell 'tester pots' as they called them on Changing Rooms on the BBC. :cutie: They are only about $5.

DH and I are considering painting our LR as well. Our only problem is finding a color for the LR that will help it look brighter with some color. We live in my FIL's house and the whole downstairs needs a complete updating :rolleyes1 . I am not kidding. It hasn't been updated in about 25-30 years or so :headache: !

We're thinking of painting it a light green (either on the yellow or blue side of the scale) and have narrowed it down to two colors from Sherwin-Williams. I like some of the ideas previous posters have mentioned, especially buying some drywall and painting that to get an idea of what the paint will look like before it goes on the walls.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I know how you feel. I actually woke up an hour before my alarm went off this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. What was I thinking about? Wall and door colors for my kitchen and dining room. :confused3 :rotfl: I've got some work going on in those rooms and I need to chose new colors. It's never easy and I think I've been watching too much HGTV.

I'm color blind so I'm not allowed to pick any colors. I do see color, but not the way most people do. What looks great to me doesn't always fly with my wife.

Behr- Brushed Fur

Behr- Toasted Wheat

both are really nice beigy taupy colors.

DH and I are considering painting our LR as well. Our only problem is finding a color for the LR that will help it look brighter with some color. We live in my FIL's house and the whole downstairs needs a complete updating :rolleyes1 . I am not kidding. It hasn't been updated in about 25-30 years or so :headache: !

We're thinking of painting it a light green (either on the yellow or blue side of the scale) and have narrowed it down to two colors from Sherwin-Williams. I like some of the ideas previous posters have mentioned, especially buying some drywall and painting that to get an idea of what the paint will look like before it goes on the walls.

My family room is Grassland from SW - I love it. Mine is on the yellow side. I have another green in my hallway that is on the blue side - I love the yellowish one much better.

Our living and dining rooms are light green on the blue side of the scale, and we get lots of compliments. I paired it with brown couches in the living room, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.

Denae

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I know how you feel. I actually woke up an hour before my alarm went off this morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. What was I thinking about? Wall and door colors for my kitchen and dining room. :confused3 :rotfl: I've got some work going on in those rooms and I need to chose new colors. It's never easy and I think I've been watching too much HGTV.

I couldn't sleep last night either - - I kept thinking about the paint. And the fact that I hurt all over from painting didn't help. I can't believe I painted 2 rooms and a foyer that just need to be painted again! What a ding-dong I am - I should have stopped. I went downstairs really early this morning hoping that when I saw the walls they'd magically look better after they had all night to dry. Uh, no.

:rotfl: I watch too much HGTV too. I'll see some room makeover and the wall color will be just want. I wish they'd tell you what brand/color they used.

When we built our house 4 years ago we just had the whole thing painted Antique White. The staircase, upstairs hall and one bedroom are still that color. I'm half tempted to just put that back on the downstairs walls until I figure out what to do. Boring I know but at least I like it and I can't stand the walls now. But then I'll have to paint again. I think I'm on a downward spiral ......

:scared:

Several months ago my Mother had her home professionally painted. Several of the rooms were done in Antique White. The painter said it was his favorite color in any home he had done. They used Porter Paint.

We're getting ready to paint too. I'm leaning toward a light sage green for our family room. We may do the adjacent room and hall in slightly darker shades of sage. Mulling it over.

I just did my living and dining room in Sherwin Reticence. It's on the pinkish side of beige. I'm very happy with it. On the SW website, you can't piant virtual rooms. It's cool.

Sandy

Several months ago my Mother had her home professionally painted. Several of the rooms were done in Antique White. The painter said it was his favorite color in any home he had done. They used Porter Paint.

That's exactly what I used. :) Our builder uses Porter Paint and I had chosen the Antique White when we built the house 4 years ago. I stopped by the Porter Paint store yesterday and got some. And, when I mentioned the builder the clerk said "oh, you'll get your 15% discount then". Cha-Ching!

I re-painted the living room and foyer but ran out of steam before I could get to the dining room. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend? But it does look so much better. I think I'll just have to stick with my Antique White since I obviously have no eye for picking out other paint colors! I did ask the clerk what the most popular beige shades were and he gave me several paint chips to take with me.

Found your reply. Glad you liked the antique white. It gives some color to walls, and looks good against white trim and ceilings.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter