Why is Feb higher in points?

defrogger

Earning My Ears
Just Curious, New to DVC, noticing Febuary is higher in points then i would of thought. I know theres a Marathon weekend usually in Febuary but what else is going on in Feb? Is there more then one weekend for the Marathon?

I would think Feb would be more like Jan or even September in terms of points needed.
Guess its more popular then i thought, I say this as im thinking of going in Feb:)

Some school districts used to have weeks off in February and April. (I don't know if they still do.)

Yup, New England school vacations, from our area everything costs more then, airfare to Fla goes way up that week in Feb

Higher points..some reasons listed above....I can tell you I used to book for end of Jan...but sometimes the weather isn't all that warm and we hail from northern Ill....cold and cold....so I have taken to booking in Feb...for that reason...we are retired for awhile so we stay at the resorts for a few weeks....mid Feb. the points bump up so I try to do the first 2 weeks....

I know theres a Marathon weekend usually in Febuary but what else is going on in Feb? Is there more then one weekend for the Marathon?
To be accurate, the WDW Marathon weekend is (normally) in January, the weekend before MLK weekend. The Princess half-marathon is (normally) in February.

Feb used to be one of my go-times. They keep moving spring break earlier and earlier making it difficult to find those valuable off-times. :-(

Feb is in two different seasons, with the first half (plus one day) in season 4 along with mid-June thru Aug, and Oct and most of Nov. The second half is in season 6 along with March and most of April, and Thanksgiving time.

That second half of Feb sort of makes sense since time around the Presidents' Day holiday and the Princess half-marathon weekend are always in the second half of Feb. The Thurs to Sun of that marathon weekend has traditionally been the highest DVC demand time at WDW that exists between mid-Jan and late Sep, and holiday time usually has somewhat higher demand during that period than other times.

The part that is somewhat questionable is the first half of Feb in season 4. Feb 1 to the Thurs before Presidents' Day has traditionally been the lowest DVC demand time of the year at WDW. However, also questionable is including July 7-31 in that same season 4, since July 7-31 happens to be the second lowest DVC demand time of the year at WDW. Ideally, that earlier Feb time and July 7-31 would be in season 1 where Sep 1-19 sits, which Sep period has actually traditionally had higher demand than that early Feb/most of July time.

You may be aware that substantial point shifting has occurred in the last two years, where points have been moved, via a change from a 5-season to a 7-season chart, mostly raising points needed per night in the Fall season, while lowering them mostly in the May through Aug periods. As long as total points needed to reserve all the rooms in the entire year remain unchanged, such point shifts are allowed and arguably even required to meet substantial changes in seasonal demand. However, there are limits to how much each day can change, up or down, annually, which would make it difficult to get that early Feb and most of July time in a lower season than they are now.

Last edited:
The Daytona 500 is also held in Feb so WDW gets runoff from that. Valentine's Day is also in Feb, not sure how much it affects demand/points cost. We always go sometime in Jan/Feb and the last points reallocation effected our trips in a negative manor. :(

Also going in feb..5-12 and crowd levels look high...is this because of less staff perhaps
No, crowd levels look high because everyone's been cooped up at home for over a year and are ready to get out and have some fun! And also Disney has been adding staff this month and last so is opening up more non-DVC resorts (all DVC rooms have been open for a year), more restaurant capacity, more park reservations, so all those people who are wanting to come are coming.

We have made a few trips in February since retiring. Twice, we've gone the week before President's Day and have stayed Sunday-Friday or Sunday-Saturday. By about the Thursday before Presidents Day, we notice the resorts and the parks becoming more crowded. One year, there was a big cheer competition the week before President's Day and MK was very crowded while we were there (last year, no cheer competition due to COVID). We may move our February trip to the first week of March this year and see how that goes!

I'm in CT but now that DS is out of school, we no longer go during Feb-April depending upon Spring break. We try and go the last week of Jan because the points are lower, we have had three months of cold weather, my feet are starting to hurt and a week sitting in a jacuzzi down there gets me through the rest of the winter haha.

I’ve been in February often enough that I’ve definitely woken up to frost, and more than once. Still beats a polar vortex.
Right? At least if it’s 30 degrees in Florida, you know it is short-lived. In February here in Minnesota, most days aren’t anywhere close to 30 degrees. In fact, during our February trip, it was -5 degrees when we left home and 85 degrees when we landed in Orlando. Quite a swing in temperature!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter