Why does an 11yr old, have to pay full price

It is now the same price for us to put our DD13 and DD15 in their own cat 11 cabin and move them out of our cat 8 cabin because their cost has risen to almost an adult price. It costs me the same and I get the two "throw down my items wherever I am when I'm done with them" kids in their own messy room so DH and I will have a significantly less messy cabin. :banana:

Also 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs and double the space!! :cloud9:

We're trying connecting inside cabins for the 1st time in June on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda. It was only $400 more than having us all in the same cabin. It's a slightly older ship so the cabins are only 150 sqft. Our boys will be 12.5 and 9 at sailing. I'm afraid we'll like it so much we won't want to share cabins again! :goodvibes

Starting with 2010 cruises kids under 3 are being charged half of the regular fare.

When we've sailed other cruise lines, we've paid full price for a 15 month old. Paying full price for babies and toddlers I think is a bit ridiculous, but we did it!

I totally understand full price for an 11 yr old. And I think it's nice that the price has been discounted for 3-10yr olds when the cost for Disney probably isn't that much less than for an adult. (Although even with the discount and free under 3, the total cost of the cruise is more than other lines.)

I forget the exact brackets but they are something like this if the kids are passengers #3 & #4.
6mo. - 2yrs (Only pay port taxes & Fees. Even Transfers are free).
3yrs. - 7 yrs Price A
8yrs. - 12 yrs. Price B
13yrs. - 17 yrs. Price C
Now prices A, B & C only differ a few dollars.
So if your child is passenger #3 or #4, he IS paying a slightly lower rate.

Thanks:thumbsup2 , this is exactly what I have been curious about!!

We're trying connecting inside cabins for the 1st time in June on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda. It was only $400 more than having us all in the same cabin. It's a slightly older ship so the cabins are only 150 sqft. Our boys will be 12.5 and 9 at sailing. I'm afraid we'll like it so much we won't want to share cabins again! :goodvibes

I'd say that's pretty much a given. ;)

We've always booked two staterooms for our family on DCL, so we've always paid full adult fare for the first two kids anyway.

As such, I guess the lack of a significant discount for children has never really been an issue for us.

FWIW, if they priced based on eating habits... I'm sure we'd have been hit with a hefty surcharge for DS on every cruise so far, and he was 9 the first time we brought him along.

you would be able to answer that if you saw my11 year old eat on the last cruise -- adult meals -as much as he wanted -- sometimes more than one at each meal!

We found the same with our 10 year old, and even our 4 year olds. The little ones ate lobster, often had soups off the adult menu, the pasta and seafood dishes, especially youngest son.

Here he is on formal night, eating fettucine with shrimp and mushrooms.
septembervacation2008148.jpg

Do other cruise lines also charge the same price for older kids as adults? I thought they did, but I could be wrong. We never seriously priced other lines for a trip with the kids.

Julie

When we've sailed other cruise lines, we've paid full price for a 15 month old. Paying full price for babies and toddlers I think is a bit ridiculous, but we did it!

I totally understand full price for an 11 yr old. And I think it's nice that the price has been discounted for 3-10yr olds when the cost for Disney probably isn't that much less than for an adult. (Although even with the discount and free under 3, the total cost of the cruise is more than other lines.)

Other cruise lines don't charge as much as Disney. Other lines have a limited number of berths which they hope to put people in that will spend money on the ship.

If there is an infant in a berth than that is one less berth that a person that is able to spend money is in. So the cruise line is losing money.

Charging for infants and charging single supplements for those that cruise solo is a way to make up some of the money.

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter