Why Do You Pay For The Dining Plan?

Our reasons:

1) We have 4 children (always a great value)
2) We did mostly AYCE meals (buffets, family style, etc) because my oldest was still a child and my youngest eats a lot but is under 3.
3) It saved us at least $250 in our week we had it.

We've gotten the dining plan in the past (deluxe plan) because it has saved us money on the way we like to eat: all TS restaurants (with one being a signature and another one TS a day), app at dinner and sometimes for lunch & bottled water as our snack credit. Its just saved us money.

Now that we are AP holders, we have the TIW card so we haven't gotten the dining plan as the TIW card saves us money and the AP card has the discounts for the stores (water, souveneirs, etc). This plan works better for us now.

im a newbie and aint got a clue..i cant decide what to do about this dining plan? where can you eat with this dinig plan where is a list of resturants? helppp lol

im a newbie and aint got a clue..i cant decide what to do about this dining plan? where can you eat with this dinig plan where is a list of resturants? helppp lol

You can eat at most restaurants on Disney property. The Quick SErvice Dining plan gives you 2 counter service meals a day and 2 snacks (on the 2011 plan...the 2012 plan is 2 counter service and one snack per day.) The regular Dining Plan gives you one counter service meal, one table service (sit-down place with waiters/menu or buffet place including character buffets) and one snack per day. (Disney calls this plan "Room Plus Dine", people on here call it the DDP for Disney Dining Plan) And then there's the Deluxe Dining Plan, which people on here call the DxDDP or DxDP) The Deluxe plan gives you 3 meal credits per day (you can use them at counter service or table service or any combination you choose) as well as 2 snacks per day.

Quick Service ONLY covers the counter service restaurants--there's no way to use those credits at table service places. On the counter service meals and the regular DDP table-service meals, you get one entree (or combo platter), one non-alcoholic beverage and one dessert. Breakfast is entree & non-alcohol beverage only (no"dessert" on breakfast.) If you want appetizers or extra side dishes, or alcoholic beverage you have to pay cash for these...not covered on regular dining plan. Snack credits can be used on many types of snacks including pastry items from bakeries, frozen treats, bottled water, soda, popcorn, hot pretzels, etc. The general rule of thumb is snack item has to be a single-serve item usually under $4 or so...but there are some items under $4 which are not allowed...and there are some items over $4 which are allowed. The menus at the counter service food places & snack counters usually have a purple DP (dining plan) logo with the items that are allowed.

If you're on the Deluxe dining plan...eating at a table service restaurant...you get an appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage for lunch and dinner meals. If you're eating breakfast, there's no "appetizer" or "dessert" on breakfast...just the entree & beverage.

In 2011, you get a resort refillable mug with the Quick SErvice plan and with the Deluxe plan. In 2012, all plans will get the mug.
Here's the link to the brochure for the 2011 plan:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2526683

Before we started doing Disney vacations, we did all inclusive and cruise vacations where all meals are included. We loved not having to budget for food ahead of time and not having to carry cash or cards with us while at the resort or on the ship. Because of this convenience, we always opt to do the dining plan. It's how we're used to vacationing and it makes it more relaxing for us to have our costs paid for up front. I don't even care, at this point, if we are truly getting our money's worth with the plan. I think the DDP price is reasonable so I do it.

I actually did a cost analysis two years back on the dining plan. I do this for work pretty regularly, so it only made sense that I do it for personal reasons. I took the high/low costs of meals at EVERY restaurant. Averaged each at each individual restaurant, times two (for me and DH) plus the cost of two kids meals. I did that for every restaurant on site using the menus and meal prices on allears. I was able to come up with a high, low and and average for each meal/restaurant. Then I went through each individual menu again, taking guesses on what we would order if NOT on the dining plan (never fails, DH always picks the most expensive entree, and I'll pick the cheapest just because I'm frugal)... again just using averages but also not including desserts because we would not normally order those if not on the DDP. Based on that, I could decide if the cost of the meal plan would be right for us, versus paying out of pocket. It came out to be about $20 +/- less per day *NOT* using the dining plan.

So long story short, we would save money if we didn't do the dining plan - but I enjoy the convenience. I like not having to choose the cheapest thing on the menu because I feel I should. And I like not having to tell my family something is too expensive, go cheaper. If I was paying out of pocket, I would force us to eat at more CS as well, just to save money. We have always traveled to all-inclusive resorts (prior to disney) and one of the most enjoyable things to me about vacationing as a mom and a wife is not worrying about the next meal, making it or paying for it. I don't even see the money (other than for tipping, which I pre-allocate as well). So I do it because it's more enjoyable to me, and for that, it's worth the extra cost. Yeah, I could just suck it up and budget well and do all that... but where's the fun in that?? lol

We have done both the DDP and the DXDDP. I love the DX plan as we eat out a lot at home. With either plan we like to:

-order whatever we want and not worry about the price. DS will be 17 and is a big steak eater!

-have fun spending all those snack credits. :love:

-eat at a variety of different spots, including signature meals.

-have the majority of it pre-paid.

-skip most of the counter service dining. We like to sit and enjoy a good meal.

We've done the DDP on several trips and did the Dlx DDP on 1/2 of a split stay trip. We found the Deluxe to be too much eating...too much wasted time sitting in restaurants and probably won't get it again...it's a bit costly anyway. The regular DDP used to be a good deal. The first time we got it- apps and tips were included, but they have since taken them off. And they keep jacking the cost up. I've calculated many times what we'd spend paying OOP and we'd spend less than the $46-48/day. You essentially have to spend $30-33 on TS, $12-15 on CS and $3 on snack. If you book a lot of AYCE (buffets/family style) places, then yes you will save a little bit because they are now charging $34-38 ish for those places. With the menu places...you'd have to get the higher priced entres and dessert to be in the $30-33 range. And the convience thing...well you still have to pay for the tip and any extras...so I don't see where being on the DDP helps make anything easier in that respect. As far as 'free' DDP...well nothing is free. We've done the research and you are paying higher room rates to get that 'free' DDP.

EDIT: Oh my...just saw the increase in costs for the dining plans for 2012. WOW!!! Where have I been that I was not aware they were going up that much. No more DDP for us.

We have used the Dining Plan the past 6 trips...Could we save money without it???..maybe.
But I am a penny counter all year long..so I am guilty of buying into the Disney Marketing Strategy that there is a value in pre-paying for our food.
Without the Dining Plan I would have no problem with what DH or my 2 kiddos choose to order...but I KNOW myself and I would be ordering the least expensive thing on the menu, even if it wasn't what I really wanted, (in spite of myself) to save a little $$$.
But I work hard and when I go on vacation I deserve the steak...with the Dining Plan I am guilt free. Twisted, I know. :blush:

My trip coming up is the first time I have got a dinning plan. For me why I decided to get the dinning plan was for few reasons

Convenience, not having to worry about carrying cash with me all the time, which is a great thing some times.

Flexibility, we are able to enjoy a larger selection of food, because we don’t have to worry about budget. Instead of having a budget for food every day and trying to stay with in it we are able to just enjoy ourselves. I don’t want come to dinner and have to eat something small and quick only because I had a large lunch. When traveling with big groups food budgets always come in to play and some times you find yourself penny pinching at every meal because you are thinking about your next.

Having the ability to choose different places to eat is great. One day for lunch you can just grab a burger combo some where in a park and the next day you can seat down to a large spread.

I can see how someone may thing that it was not worth the money to buy a dinning plan if you are just use to eating at some of the quick service places in the parks but you have to taking in the fact that there is much more to eat then just burgers and hotdogs.

And of course like any prepaid thing you may not always save money but you also have the change to save quite a bit too, it is all about how you decide to use the plan. For me I have made 9 reservations so for, for my trip in feb and I have a wide rage of restaurants to eat at, and yes some days I can see what I will not save any money but others I know just by looking at the menus and the prices I will save a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter