WHY do parents allow children to run in the cabin hallways??

I've shared this story before......

In the Walt Disney Theater for a show one time. Little girl behind me, probably 6 years old??...not sure, but old enough to be told to sit quietly.

When she WAS sitting, she kicked the back of my seat...and it had nothing to do with her little legs being so short that she couldn't help bumping the seat in front of her.
Most of the time she walked back and forth behind me, with her hands on the back of my seat, and my neighbor's. I had long hair then, so every time she grabbed my seat, she pulled my hair.

At first, I turned and looked at her mother...without any real expression on my face, just hoping to get her attention so she'd notice what the little one was doing.
Finally, I had to say something to the mother. I told her (quietly and as politely as I could) that the little one was pulling my hair, and could she please sit down. Of course, mama bear went BERSERK. She went on and on about how "this is a DISNEY CRUISE and that means it's for KIDS and if you don't like it, then you shouldn't be here....blah blah blah....."

I was so shocked, I didn't say a word back to her. I could not believe that just because it's a DISNEY CRUISE, that meant that her child did not have to practice good manners.:sad2::sad2::sad2:

We traveled extensively with our kids, and they knew the rules from the beginning. NO running in the hallways (or around the dinner table, which we've seen MANY times on the cruises) NO loud talking, no screaming, etc, etc etc. If they did, they knew they'd be confined to the room for an indeterminate amount of time. And we wouldn't take them the next time.

Parents need to be parents....and quit trying to be their kids' best friend.

Wow, I wish my kids were perfect and well-behaved all the time!

Yes, as parents we tell our kids not to run in the halls and to be quiet.

But, guess what? They are on a Disney Cruise, and they are super excited! All the time. I can't tell you how many times we had to correct them because they are just so excited that they start running down the hall.

We don't let our kids run amuck, but on a Disney Cruise they don't remember not to run sometimes and they're not quiet ALL the time. We remind them so that their behavior doesn't continue. We are doing the best we can.

OP here. I understand the excitement. I had three ecstatic boys that couldn't wait to get to the parks, or see what we're doing on the ship that day! But so much of parenting is not reminding them, it's enforcing rules, period. When you know full well, that many many people right around you are sound asleep, you better believe my kids are going to know right from wrong, and they just won't run. Why, because we just didn't allow it to happen, period. Some things are not negotiable, and that's one of them. Are they perfect, no way! Did they have a blast on our cruises, you betcha! But not in the hallways.

MissDaisyofTexas said:

But, guess what? They are on a Disney Cruise, and they are super excited! All the time. I can't tell you how many times we had to correct them because they are just so excited that they start running down the hall.

We don't let our kids run amuck, but on a Disney Cruise they don't remember not to run sometimes and they're not quiet ALL the time. We remind them so that their behavior doesn't continue. We are doing the best we can.

I totally agree with you. Kids have to be reminded constantly and even then they don't always listen. We have never cruised but I can imagine that their excitement will consume them most of the time. I have no problem with that. I think it's when you hear or see the same kids (more so the parents) not remind their kids to quiet down or not to run.. that's when I believe it becomes a problem for other parents. Good point though!

The answer is really just as simple as taking your child by the hand in the hallways and saying "You can have all kinds of fun at the pool"....or Kids' Club....or on the running deck...... Easy!

Exactly! No child or parent is perfect. People know what they did when their parents weren't around, yet assume their kids won't do the same.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm sure I wasn't a perfect kid but I hardly ever got in trouble after the first time (that I remember.) Because I was truly convinced that my mom had spies everywhere! :rotfl: She always knew where I was and what I was doing. And I had my DD convinced that I had eyes in the back of my head. She could never figure out how I knew what she was doing when she was in another room. :rotfl2: (I could hear her)

I understand what you are saying...but loud talking, slamming the door.....I experienced this more from adults then kids....so when we are all talking how bad behaved kids are running through the hallways and up or down the stairs, there is tons of adults who are never hold the door to close it, they talk loud walking down the hallway at any time of the day.....stopping to admire your FE and door magnets and loudly comment how great they are.....

And I'm not saying this because my kids run and scream...but kids are not always the problem......there is plenty of grown-up on the ships too who behave worse then kids.

The answer is really just as simple as taking your child by the hand in the hallways and saying "You can have all kinds of fun at the pool"....or Kids' Club....or on the running deck...... Easy!
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Lexa said:
I understand what you are saying...but loud talking, slamming the door.....I experienced this more from adults then kids....so when we are all talking how bad behaved kids are running through the hallways and up or down the stairs, there is tons of adults who are never hold the door to close it, they talk loud walking down the hallway at any time of the day.....stopping to admire your FE and door magnets and loudly comment how great they are.....

And I'm not saying this because my kids run and scream...but kids are not always the problem......there is plenty of grown-up on the ships too who behave worse then kids.

I agree. Rude behavior bothers me no matter what the age of the person doing it. The ship is not your personal zone to do whatever you want or allow the kids to do whatever they want. It's important to be considerate of everyone else on the ship.

It's society in general. New generation of parents, half of them are glued to their iDevices without a clue of what's going on around them. So the kids go nuts as there's no teacher or coach or nanny or any other adult to tell them no.

Same as the ones driving the big SUV and parking on the handicap spot 'just for a few minutes' to drop little missie off to ballet.

Same goes with the MDRs - some kids run around crazy and nobody stops them - eventually the head chef might say something to them and maybe then the parents get a clue of what's going on.

Yes, that how I feel. We try, really try to keep them quiet and respecful. Heck, I wondered if it was more annoying to hear the pitter patter of little running 4 year old feet or ME scolding them to please stop, in my attempt at a stern voice with out myself getting loud. I'm thinking I was more bothersome:guilty:, but I did my absolute best. We would remind them before we got out of the room or hall way but I admit my kids needed a lot of reminding when they were excited.

We dont nap during the day so I cant say how common loud, running kids were during the day. We did hear a fair amount of loud adults late at night but I easily go back to sleep.

:thumbsup2 Both adults and children can be guilty of it! I've seen and heard it!

What's funny is that I always thought that as well...Until Alia Faith - my 4th. My twins would be and still are compliant without much of a fight and when we had the third I was still pretty much in control and then I had AF. Now it's not that I have 4 kids - it's that I have her. If she were my first she would have been just as head strong as she is as my fourth. There will be no gently taking her hand and explaining that this is the way it is... so for all the parents who have one like me I just was reaching out to them. Kind of sharing a inside joke.

For those that say they "try" to keep their kids from running, yelling etc. Would you use the same terminology if they were running in front of a moving car? Would you "try" to make them stop that behavior or would you MAKE them stop. Same exact thing. Don't try and "remind" them they're doing something wrong, stop them right there, take their hand and stop it from happening. You simply don't let them disturb all those people, period.

Well yes, but it's so much more fun to complain about terrible parents and lament about how our society has gone downhill than it is to point out that I would take a herd of 4 year olds over one drunk adult any day. :confused3

Well yes, but it's so much more fun to complain about terrible parents and lament about how our society has gone downhill than it is to point out that I would take a herd of 4 year olds over one drunk adult any day. :confused3

I guess that's what makes the world go round. Give me the drunk adult ANY DAY.

Either way I suppose the point is we're all responsible for our own choices and actions. Whether that means being aware of how many alcoholic beverages you've consumed or if you have kids.

Some parents become better ones while on vacation. A cruise ship can make you hyper-aware of behaviors that otherwise might not be an issue at home or school. Others take being on a ship as an excuse to not parent at all. "But I'm on vacation and so are they!" Doesn't mean manners or politeness should go by the wayside. Be considerate.

I understand what you are saying...but loud talking, slamming the door...

This is interesting for you to point out because on our last cruise (14 nights, WBPC) our door had issues closing properly. Maintenance was out several times to try and fix it. Got better but never really solved. We HAD to let it slam to for it to shut all the way.

Sorry neighbors.

For those that say they "try" to keep their kids from running, yelling etc. Would you use the same terminology if they were running in front of a moving car? Would you "try" to make them stop that behavior or would you MAKE them stop. Same exact thing. Don't try and "remind" them they're doing something wrong, stop them right there, take their hand and stop it from happening. You simply don't let them disturb all those people, period.

I wont walk with my hand covering my kids mouth to keep them from being too loud. If my 4 year old is running down and empty hallway at 10 am, he wont be killed nor will anyone else. Again, many things make noise at all hours. If my kids were yelling, screaming and stoming their feet in the hall you bet, Ill take strict action but a kid running along happily, am not taking the same action that I would when he is in a busy dangerous parking lot. Call it bad parenting if you want, but I will try and they will learn. eta- I honestly tried to keep my kids from yelling at all times but until reading this, I was not aware that running was such an issue nor that it was loud or noticable in staterooms. I must have not been in the room at times there was a lot of kids running. I will be sure to be more respectful if my kids do happily trott along in the morning.

Like many places in life, ppl do things we do not like but I respect them if they try to respect us. Like bad mouths, smoking in places they shouldnt, allowing kids to act unacceptable (as I feel because everyones idea of acceptable is different) there will always be things I would like not to happen. But in a large crowd, I cannot make everyone follow my rules. I try not to let it bother me and I also try to be understanding that they in many cases arent trying to disturb others.

We had a door that slammed too, I had returning twice to find it was still not latched after our room was serviced so we had to slam it to close it. We did the best to close it with out a loud noise.

jm106 said:
I wont walk with my hand covering my kids mouth to keep them from being too loud. If my 4 year old is running down and empty hallway at 10 am, he wont be killed nor will anyone else. Again, many things make noise at all hours. If my kids were yelling, screaming and stoming their feet in the hall you bet, Ill take strict action but a kid running along happily, am not taking the same action that I would when he is in a busy dangerous parking lot. Call it bad parenting if you want, but I will try and they will learn.

Totally agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter