Why Disneyworld

Lin82

Earning My Ears
So I am looking at Disneyworld for the first time in February and I am wondering why I should choose Disneyworld over Disneyland.
I have been to Disneyland multiple times and I love it but I want to check off the Disneyworld box but I am worried I might not find it worth all the extra work. Why do you love your park?

So I am looking at Disneyworld for the first time in February and I am wondering why I should choose Disneyworld over Disneyland.
I have been to Disneyland multiple times and I love it but I want to check off the Disneyworld box but I am worried I might not find it worth all the extra work. Why do you love your park?

Two years ago I was in the opposite position; been to WDW lots, never to DL, but wanted to to check out DL, so I did. So very glad we went, but I may never go back. I think every Disney fan should try to do both coasts at least once, and I love both parks.

First, honestly, I don't find it that much more work than DL (in fact DL was more work since I'd never been), you can put as much or as little work into it as you are comfortable with and be ok with some basic knowledge. Being a DL vet will help with WDW as well. So, why WDW (and why do I keep going to WDW instead of DL)? The Disney bubble is fantastic. We only stay on property now, and it is an immersive experience that helps leave the world out where it belongs. lol I like the transportation to the parks and Disney Springs, and that you remain on Disney property to and from your destinations (via buses including DME, boats, monorails, and soon to be Gondolas).

There is so much more ground to cover and so much more to see. DL doesn't have EPCOT, nor does it have AK, and the WDW hotels are fantastic to go visit, and enjoy their food offerings. EPCOT is my favorite park, and Pandora is my favorite land with FoP being my fav ride in any theme park. The nighttime fireworks are more reliable, and there is more nighttime entertainment to choose from. The CM's, on a good day, are top notch and they are literally from all over the world.

What to be prepared for; walking longer distances, be picky with your restaurant/food choices to find good meals, how big MK is compared with DL, longer transportation time, quirkier weather.

How much time you got?? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I have never been to Disneyland and not sure I'll ever make it. :worried: Would love to visit Walt's first.

With that though, why Disney World, why not? The first time I went I was 17 years old and was just amazed at where I was. Back in '87 there was only MK and EPCOT. I didn't get back again till 1998 and we had all 4 parks then. AK had just opened April of that year. We were there in May. That was our honeymoon 7 years later and it was AMAZING!! :cloud9: pixiedust:

You can look at my signature and see all my park visits. The one missing is my short time on the College Program back in 2000. I can give you positives and negatives on all those trips, but we'd have a novel by then. :lmao:

Disney is my escape, my treat for jobs well done or just simply a time for getting me back. I'm not as Disney obssessed as I used to be. In fact until just these past several months, I haven't thought much about it. Our trip is in 2 weeks, so I'm here on the DIS daily and watching YouTube videos about Disney. Seems the pattern has evolved, since having my son, we visit every 4 years. It works out beautifully! Something is always new or different. Mine Train has been around since 2015 but this June will be our first time riding it. Everest has been around since AK opened. Guess what family is finally giving it a try? :wave2:

So why Disney World...because each time we go there's a new, fun, and amazing experience! :goodvibes

Last edited:
Having been to both and enjoying both, I would always choose WDW if I had more time. There is so much more to see and do and I like the immersive aspect. DL is better for a short trip.

I was fortunate enough to go to Disneyland 3 times at ages 21, 25 and 38. Now that I have a child, we have been to Disneyworld 4 times and heading on our 5th next week. I cannot get DD12 to agree to a Disneyland trip.

Here are her reasons:
1) It's not Disneyworld
2) They don't have Animal Kingdom
3) They don't have Pop Century and the Hippy Dippy pool

Here is why I can't argue with her:
1) It's not Disneyworld and it is much smaller, making it a much shorter vacation
2) They don't have Animal Kingdom and it's DD's favorite park next to Magic Kingdom
3) They don't have onsite, value resorts. We would really miss the theming and cool pools.
4) They don't have all the neat restaurants and mom doesn't cook on vacation.
5) They don't have the convenient transportation and mom doesn't drive on vacation if she doesn't have to.
6) In order to make it a "real" vacation, we would have to travel across the state to visit other theme parks and attractions to make it worthwhile and that's just a hassle.

Will I get her to Disneyland someday? Maybe, but the only real thing Disneyland has going for it is the weather. That would make the summer vacation worth it for me, but "the heat never bothered her anyway".

First, I absolutely LOVE the vacations I have had that include DLR. It is a special, unique, and charming place. But for me and my family DLR is always part of a longer vacation that includes doing lots of other things. Last summer we did a couple weeks that included a few days at DLR, Hollywood touristy stuff, Vegas, exploring the desert, etc.

WDW is a place where we can immerse ourselves for a week or more at a time. We love the variety of parks, the resorts, the dining options, Disney Springs (kinda), and the general feel of being in "the bubble". When in "the bubble" it's like we are retreated and withdrawn from the world back home. It's been that way for us since the kids were toddlers and they're young adults now.

Thank you all, these responses are awesome and solidified my decision to head all the way out there instead of California this time.

I've been to both and have enjoyed both very much.

Aside from park size, the biggest difference that stood out to me is that WDW is an immersive experience. Meaning, yes, it has some of the tourist trap/offsite hotels/etc but they are on the outskirts of the property, where in DL, you get that right across the street and pretty much in plain view. WDW does a pretty good job of providing everything you need within their property.

Having been AP holders at both here are some of our takeaways...

DL

Pros:

Cars Land! - this is just so cool and my kids love it! Such an immersive experience and great theming for those that are Cars fans.
World of Color - Not sure they are still doing this but I know a revamped version is coming back soon according to the rumors.
Nostalgia - The fact it is the original gives it a very special feel
Blue Bayou - Awesome dining experience actually in the Pirates ride
Pirates of the Caribbean - Different ride to the one at DW, cool layout.
Boardwalk - a very cool layout and walking experience
Proximity of hotels - Walking across the street is awesome
Bounding - more people are really in to bounding which makes it cool!

Cons:

Splash mountain - freaky for young kids due to single line layout
Crowds - as it is easily accessible to highly populated areas, it is often used as a 'hangout' by teenagers and locals which creates a very different 'feel' to the parks. Similar to Disney Springs I guess?!
Streets around the park - Streets tend to be full of homeless and pan handlers on the main exit routes. Lots of people smoking there too.
Size - The entire area of the 2 parks is minuscule when compared to DW
Crowds #2 - people tend to be casual visitors as above, as a result there have been numerous times in line when people have either been making out or talking suggestively / sexually to one another.
Hotels - while they may well be close, they are expensive and having stayed at many of the good neighbor hotels they are very basic. Not much choice often Leeds to higher prices, although DW is far from cheap.
Weather - While it is hot in both destinations, I've never seen flip flops and sandals melt to the floor in DW! lol It can be excessively hot in Cali

Obviously the inverse is true to most of the above with regards to DW. We now only have AP's at DW and rarely visit DL. DW is not perfect by any means, but if I had the choice to visit 1 it would definitely be DW over DL all day every day. I'm sure there are people that prefer DL, but based on our experience the above is an accurate reflection of our experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!