Why did people live in bland looking rectangular houses in the 1980s?

AnimationFan94

Earning My Ears
I watched Bumblebee!

I didn't know people in the 1980s lived in bland looking rectangular houses!
bb10.jpg

It doesn't look very clean.

While the selfish elite lived in stylish and clean houses.

What was the culture like in the 1980s? Why didn't people make a big deal out of keeping everything clean?

Are you glad people are more obsessed with keeping their houses clean nowadays?

Last edited:
You are basing all of this on one video clip? There were all sorts of houses in the 1980s. I was born in 1970 and grew up in the 80's. I was raised in a family of obsessive neat people who always cleaned and took care of their houses. Some of the designs may have been different then, but just like not everyone lives in one type of house now, they didn't then either.

Maybe Barbie lived in this house?

I watched Bumblebee!

I didn't know people in the 1980s lived in bland looking rectangular houses!
bb10.jpg

It doesn't look very clean.

While the selfish elite lived in stylish and clean houses.

What was the culture like in the 1980s? Why didn't people make a big deal out of keeping everything clean?

Are you glad people are more obsessed with keeping their houses clean nowadays?
Because the 80's were after the 70's and the 70's were pretty dirty :) Seriously, though the 70's were fun bu they were pretty grungy!

*puts on granny glasses*

"When I was a kid we lived in a bland, rectangular, dirty house"

Just kidding I grew up in a very clean Dutch Colonial.

I'm pretty sure that house pictured above, from the images I found online is a Mid-Century Modern. With its beams in the ceilings and brick walls, it's pretty fabulous. It looks like it would have a pretty good view too. Probably worth well over a million dollars in a California beach town.

Last edited:

I'll take the bland rectangular house built in the 80's that I live in over some of the monstrosities in my area now.

heck, i would take a mid century home anytime over the mcmansions that were all the rage in the 90's. at least with a mid century there's the potential to remodel, those mcmasions with all the weird angular ceilings, shelves and cut outs at the tops of walls are crazy costly to change from their cavernous master suite/jail cell additional bedrooms floor plans.

I was a teen in the 80’s there are no homes like that in my area. My current home was part of a brand new development, building started in 1910! The house I grew up in is 180 years old.

I don't know. Why do people today insist on two bedrooms per kid Mc Mansions with an extra 20k worth of cosmetic gables and the like built into the house complete with flat faced turret dining rooms that are used twice a year and dueling garages that somehow are still full of junk instead of cars and useless faux quoins and faux balconies all with a roof that in 25 years is going to fund a roofer's retirement (if it doesn't cause it first)

I don't know. Why do people today insist on two bedrooms per kid Mc Mansions with an extra 20k worth of cosmetic gables and the like built into the house complete with flat faced turret dining rooms that are used twice a year and dueling garages that somehow are still full of junk instead of cars and useless faux quoins and faux balconies all with a roof that in 25 years is going to fund a roofer's retirement (if it doesn't cause it first)

i just want to know when the whole bathrooms outnumbering bedrooms trend started. all the new construction these days seems at minimum to have one more bathroom than the number of bedrooms. i kind of get it when you've got a master with it's own and 2 other rooms that share a 'jack and jill'-then it's nice to have a separate one but when it's a 4 bedroom home with 5 bathrooms it just seems like a waste of square footage.

i just want to know when the whole bathrooms outnumbering bedrooms trend started. all the new construction these days seems at minimum to have one more bathroom than the number of bedrooms. i kind of get it when you've got a master with it's own and 2 other rooms that share a 'jack and jill'-then it's nice to have a separate one but when it's a 4 bedroom home with 5 bathrooms it just seems like a waste of square footage.
Yes, I'd like a 4 master suite home complete with crown moulded tray ceiling ziggurats with 5 and 2/3 bathrooms.

A four bedroom house with five bathrooms? Pfffft. Lots of high end buyers demand more bathrooms than that. Besides individual baths for each bedroom, separate his and her bathrooms in the master suite, a bath (or two) in the exercise area, one or two by the pool, sometimes a guest suite with two baths, plus at least five or six powder rooms scattered throughout, near the home theater, children's playroom, off the kitchen, home office, game room, etc. And one that any contractors or other hired help can use.

It's not unusual to see listings for multi-million dollar homes that have five bedrooms and 12 baths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter