Why can't people just be happy for you?

addicted_to_WDW

<font color="darkorchid">He's a teenaged skate rat
Just a vent.

I've been on Atkins for 2 weeks and am doing well. I'm very happy and proud of myself.

Unfortunately, at least 1/2 of the people I tell about it have to tell me that it's unhealthy, my kidneys are going to fail, I'm just going to gain the weight back, etc. etc. Yeah, that's what I want to hear when I'm making a major life change.

Why do people do that?

Jen,

I think there are a couple reasons why people act like that, but the biggest one is the word "Atkins". When the plan first came out the medical community was sure this was the most dangerous thing - all those evil things you mentioned were what they thought would happen to people who adherred to it. And they were very vocal about it and it was all over the media that this was dangerous. Well, years and years later and it turns out that the medical community was wrong! Atkins works, it has wonderful health benefits - and not only that, many of the popular medically approved diets are based on Atkins. I don't imagine you would ever find such a negative resonse to Weight Watchers - because for so many years their publicity has been so good. So the first answer is Atkins suffers from bad press early on.

The second answer is that, as many people here have experienced, friends and aquaintences feel threatened and even jealous of someone who is doing something good and healthy for themselves. It's probably based in guilt.

So hang in there and show them that YOU aren't going to let bad press and other people's guilt stand in the way of doing what you know is right!

Karyn

I've gotten to the point where I just don't tell people what I'm doing. I'll just say something like- watching what I'm eating and walking some! Mayeb you should just stick with a generic answer for now. That way you don't get the discouraging answers!
Keep your head up- you're doing what's bets for you and it's working!!!!

Just tell them you have given up sugar and flour. There is no come back to that and that is what you have done. :)

Don't stop feeling proud of yourself because those people don't know what they are talking about. Just keep doing what you are doing, it's working.

Please don't stop feeling good about yourself because of ill informed people.

I am considering changing to Atkins after being on Weight Watchers and this morning alone I have had four people tell me that I will die because my system will collapse. These I have to say are the same four people who said if I didn't lose weight I could die earlier than I should.

At the end of the day - It is your body and only you can monitor what goes in to it.

I wholeheartedly agree with what everyone posted above. Some people may just feel jealous that you have the stamina and willpower to do something that they cannot. Other people just are not well informed about Atkins or other diets and are just spouting off what they heard the last time on the evening news.

Even though Atkins didn't work out well for me I still think it can work for most people. However, I have had people give me the "see what happened because you did Atkins?" attitude (sort of like "I told you so" but with more attitude). I don't even bother trying to explain that my situation was like 1 in a million and there are so many others who are living stronger, happier and most importantly, healthier lives because of it. They just want to believe what they want to believe.

I wish you luck because I know firsthand how hard this can be. Sometimes just a little smile and telling them you are just watching what you eat can work , or like someone else mentioned tell them you cut out sugar & flour.

No one should try to undermine your efforts--ultimately you are in control of your body. Congrats on sticking with it and keeping your chin up!

((((((((((((((Jen)))))))))))))))

Sending you loads of hugs! I think it's ignorance. Before WISH, I thought the same thing about Atkins. I have learned A LOT here and I totally admire everyone here who is on Atkins and losing! It is not something I could do, but I KNOW it works and that many people have gotten VERY healthy and lost weight while eating the Atkins way. You just stick your tongue out at those people and walk away. I mean, just ignore them, yeah... ;) We are here for you, we will support you. Those suckers, I mean, people, will be so jealous once they see how successful and full of energy you are! ;)

I think there could be two reasons, the first is that a lot of people have a misconception about Atkins and the second could be they are jealous that you are doing something for yourself. I think that is why it is SO important to have a support group of some kind. I am fortunate that I have the WISH boards and I also have a live WISH group in my community.

Congratulations on your commitment to get healthy, you should be happy and proud of yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter