~Why Can't People Drive Accordingly To The Weather??~(Vent)

4 wheel drive + ice = 4 wheel skid.

Some people don't get the equation.

I don't think there are more bad drivers when it snows. I think we just notice them more, because their bad habits are made worse by the conditions.

I would personally like to thank our state legislatures in the fine state of Wisconsin for passing the no-fault bill. People can drive as fast as they want, spin out in front of you and it is not their fault. They damage your vehicle while they are spinning, or you happen to hit them when they are sliding, or spinning, it is not your their fault. Nope, nosiree! You and your insurance company will foot your own bill and possible theirs, cause you didn't slow down and stop and have control of your vehicle when they were playing nascar in a snowstorm or on snow and ice covered roads.

Ah, feel much better! Not!

4 wheel drive + ice = 4 wheel skid.

Some people don't get the equation.

so true. as one of my friends says: 4wd lets you start better, but we all stop the same. :rotfl:

My pet peeve are the ones that shouldn't even be out in cars in bad snowy conditions and then proceed to drive 5 mph. I'm sorry but if you are in a CAR or other non 4WD vehicle then stay off the roads when there is a foot of snow on the ground! We were coming home from the doctors, and yes we have a 4WD and got behind a minivan that pulled out of a grocery store. That van went under 5 mph for miles! Instead of pulling over and letting the 2 mile back up go around them they proceeded to crawl home. It looked like rush hour on the streets and we were having a blizzard. Most were in cars and creeping along. Stay home until it is SAFE to drive!

caitycaity said:
so true. as one of my friends says: 4wd lets you start better, but we all stop the same. :rotfl:
::yes:: ::yes:: There were several roll overs and accidents on the way to work this morning. They were all SUVs

yes,
I have never had an accident....I have a "9" on my insurance-a prefect driving record.

I have been hit by 5 different people that have either run stop signs,(tore my rotater cuff) it was a new car. I had an old man try to pass me on the right hand side when I was turning right...he hit me board side, screwed up my back....that was a new car...had papers inthe backseat! Then he stalked me for over 1 year!

then my new truck....my drunken neiohbor decided to drive drunk, backed up and hit my brand new truck.......5100.00 dollars worth of damage, she took off and nothing happened to her....but me, lets see...I had to pay for rental on a brand new truck....that they had for 1 month. and they place did a crapey job on it!

she got off scott free and I still owe on this!!!! she was drunk! and I saw her hit it!! not to mention they kept robbing my apt!

then in the parking lot this past oct...I was all the way pulled out of my space and some lady decided to pull out, and hit the side of my truck.....all she cared about was her boyfriend(she was 85)....then she tried to make it look like I did it. she was found at fault, and I had to pay my rental, but her company gave me 50% back!!!
see why I have issues with the way people drive!!!!

My pet peeve is the morons--especially the minivan and SUV owners--who are too freaking lazy to take the snow off the roofs of their vehicles. They drive around with globs of snow and ice flying off to smack my windshield and blind me. Two years ago, some idiot in an SUV in front of me hit a pot hole and a rectangular sheet of ice came off his roof straight at me. I had to run off the road to avoid getting my windshield cracked or my head sheared off.

And I really LOVE the people who are soooooo lazy that they only clear a porthole in their windshield. The rest of the car and windows are covered with snow and ice. A few years ago, DH actually saw a cop stop one of these fools and make him clean off his car before he could drive on.

Humans.

skiwee1 said:
My pet peeve are the ones that shouldn't even be out in cars in bad snowy conditions and then proceed to drive 5 mph. I'm sorry but if you are in a CAR or other non 4WD vehicle then stay off the roads when there is a foot of snow on the ground! We were coming home from the doctors, and yes we have a 4WD and got behind a minivan that pulled out of a grocery store. That van went under 5 mph for miles! Instead of pulling over and letting the 2 mile back up go around them they proceeded to crawl home. It looked like rush hour on the streets and we were having a blizzard. Most were in cars and creeping along. Stay home until it is SAFE to drive!

If they were also pulling out of a doctor's office, don't you think they probably had a good reason for needing to be out that day? Sure they probably should have let others pass, but to say they shouldn't be out in the first place simply because they didn't have a 4WD vehicle makes no sense.

Any vehicle can be driven in the snow as long as you know how to do so.

I pulled into school yesterday to see flashing blue lights just beyond the school. Didn't get to see it, but from what I saw on the news and heard from people who did see it, an Envoy (4 wheel drive SUV) managed to crash into a house because of the snow covered roads. Now from what I've seen and heard about the angle and which the driver hit the house, they either did it deliberately, or were going about 90. Where the house is in relation from the road, it's next to impossible to hit it, even if you lose control. As long as you're going a reasonable speed (under 50), you'd have plenty of time to correct.

Bob Slydell said:
If they were also pulling out of a doctor's office, don't you think they probably had a good reason for needing to be out that day? Sure they probably should have let others pass, but to say they shouldn't be out in the first place simply because they didn't have a 4WD vehicle makes no sense.

ITA :tilt:

I drive an SUV - and I know how to drive my SUV. Not everyone with a 4-wheel drive SUV drives like an idiot. I know how to handle my 4-wheel drive and I know what it can't do. I felt incredibly unsafe Monday morning next to people trying to drive in the snow piled up after the blizzard who were in their 2-wheel drive sedans. It was not the time to be out in anything but 4-wheel drive. They kept fishtailing into my lane while climbing hills.

Before anyone says anything, I was in my sedan this morning.

*shrug* I drove around fine on barely plowed roads this morning in my RWD truck. I think the point everyone is trying to make is that no one is invincible in hazardous weather conditions and everyone needs to be careful driving.

Bob Slydell said:

If you read my post you will see they were pulling out of a grocery store. We were taking doctors that couldn't make it in to work to the hospital offices. I disagree that any vehicle that can make it in the snow can be in it. It is the DRIVERS of the cars, that can't go over 5 MPH without panicking that need to stay home.

skiwee1 said:
I disagree that any vehicle that can make it in the snow can be in it. It is the DRIVERS of the cars, that can't go over 5 MPH without panicking that need to stay home.

So, which is it? Certain vehicles shouldn't be out in the snow or drivers shouldn't be out in the snow.

Because I agree that there are certain drivers who shouldn't be out in the snow (actually, most of them shouldn't EVER drive, but that's beside the point. But as far as vehicles go, unless a street is completely unplowed to a point where a lower to the ground car can't get through, I think any car, driven properly, can do fine in the snow.

People driving crazy in bad weather is also my pet peeve. I live in a rural area, and need to drive about 10 miles to work early in the morning before the sun is up in the winter on a two lane country road which is rarely plowed. The posted speed limit is 55 mph. I have a timer on my car, and it takes me about 12-14 minutes to get to work when the roads are good. One day last week, it was foggy and the roads were icy. There was somebody tailgating me the entire way, because I only felt safe driving about 40-45 mph. Would you believe, after all was said and done, I still got there within 20 minutes! All that stress of being harrassed, for 6 minutes! I say, get up 10-30 minutes early, and drive appropriately for conditions. What really gets me is when somebody passes me when I doing the speed limit, then I catch up to them at the stoplight in town. They just put themselves and everybody else at risk, and saved no time--they are stopped at the same light!

castlegazer said:
I have to add my two cents here - I rear ended someone this morning due to the conditions here in Massachusetts.

While any rear end accident is always the driver's fault - I want to add that you should also drive with an awareness of the others around you and their capability in the snow. This person came to a full stop on an on-ramp to the highway for no reason, causing a chain reaction of other cars who could not stop.

Driving in the winter stinks.

Right there with you! I almost rear ended someone doing the exact same thing. I was going about 20 mph on the onramp to the expressway. Someone way in front of me came to a complete stop before getting on the highway! I don't know what she was waiting for. I tried to stop, but my car kept going forward at about 5mph. I honked, but she still didn't move. Luckily, I was able to turn into a snowbank, rather than have a slow motion accident, but boy was I annoyed! THere's no need to be an additional obsticle in the road!

I also have the problem that my car stalls in really cold weather. So...as I'm driving along at two mph, the car stalls, and everyone starts honking at me!! :earseek: I can't wait for spring! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter