Why aren't there more people in the College Program

Anna's_Order

Wha', you gotta problem wi' me, or somethin'?
Hi, everyone. A lot of people on the forum have complained about my posting, and I apoligize you often find it "trollish".

This is a genuine question I wanted to ask any Disney CP alumni that can hopefully give me insight.

I really want to do this program, and I see A LOT of people having gotten in. Very few people complain about being rejected: WHY is this?????

I mean...its a chance to work for a great company and get paid and get nice accomidations...Why aren't 9/10 college students in America and beyond applying for this program?

Hope some of you can enlighten me.

Thanks, always, for your time.

IMPORTANT NOTE This topic was never intended to be a flame-fest. Due to the off-topic direction its taken, I suggest the thread be locked or let go of, unless any more on-topic, neccessary information can be added. Thank you

I think for some people it's hard to take a semester off and postpone graduation. And perhaps for those who aren't able to do it during school don't relish the idea of working at minimum wage after getting a bachelor's degree, even if it is Disney. My school in particular makes it extremely difficult to graduate on time if you take a semester off, I just happened to be lucky.

I also don't think 9/10 people necessarily want to work for Disney, or even in the entertainment or hospitality industry. I definitely know a couple of people who have been rejected, and as rare as it may seem, it does happen. Also, most of the people one this site are bigger Disney fans that your average Joe, so that might have something to do with it too. =)

Lastly, this is a gross generalization but most of the people I met in Florida fell into 1 of 2 categories. Either they LOVED Disney knew that they absolutely wanted to work for Disney in the future, or they were just trying to take a semester off to relax, have fun (or is some cases party). It's interesting.

That said, the program is really not for everyone, even those people who end up going down there. But it's what you make of it, and you seem like you know what you want to get out of it and how to get it, so I wouldn't worry. I guess you could just be grateful that not 9/10 wants to apply so that you have a better chance. =)

This is a genuine question I wanted to ask any Disney CP alumni that can hopefully give me insight.

I really want to do this program, and I see A LOT of people having gotten in. Very few people complain about being rejected: WHY is this?????

I mean...its a chance to work for a great company and get paid and get nice accomidations...Why aren't 9/10 college students in America and beyond applying for this program?

The number is increasing for rejections every semester as more and more people learn about the program and apply for it. Disney is limited in the number they can accept based on the housing options. With the recent addition of Patterson, more people are being accepted into the program. But in the end, more people are also being placed on the pending list as Disney wades through the thousands of applicants each semester.

In addition, more people are extending their programs, which means there is less room for new participants. Also, many people would prefer to go FT after their programs, but with the recent recession FT roles are hard to come by (depending on the line of business) so by staying in the CP more hours are available than by leaving the CP and dropping to a seasonal status.

On top of all that, the web-based interview (which is for all new Disney CMs, not just the CP) is definitely limiting the number of people getting interviews.

As for the "Why aren't 9/10 college students... applying" question -

I am one of the biggest supporters of the CPs and I didn't even do mine when I was in college. Timing didn't work out. During my first two years I went to the local CC and worked my butt off to take TONS of credits to transfer ahead of the game. My junior year I worked at the local NBC affiliate and my senior year I dropped to Part-Time status (because I was so far ahead) and I worked 30 hours a week as an Admissions Counselor for a neighboring college.

I then went to straight into my Masters and got married. I didn't apply for the CP until after I had my M.Ed. and I only did the CP because I wanted housing. Granted, less than two months into the program I moved out of the housing to live with my DH. I'm still glad I did the CP to get the experience, but that's because of my goals with the company and has nothing to do with my college life and experiences.

A lot of people don't want to work for Disney, as was said previously. I was the only campus rep at my school this past semester, and not once did one person come out to an info session, even though several majors require an internship. Most people don't take the time to figure out how it works. It's a great opportunity and I'm a huge suppporter of it, but even though it is slowly gaining more and more exposure, there is still a large number of people out there who have no idea what it is and immediately dismiss the idea of it.

I'm not someone who has done the program, but I know that at my school to get credit for it, My friend and I have had to take our case all the way to the president of the college. Not many students are willing to do that if that's what it requires. So in some cases, it might be that the college does not support the program at all like my college.

Some people have used the phrase "Its as easy as getting into community college".

I was just afraid that if it was so simple to get in, and there wasn't more competition, then there would have had to be some kind of catch....

Even if one out of two or three applicants get in, thats still good odds...

It may have been that easy in the past. But it's not that easy anymore. A lot more people are rejected every semester (as more people are applying each time).

I think for some people it's hard to take a semester off and postpone graduation. And perhaps for those who aren't able to do it during school don't relish the idea of working at minimum wage after getting a bachelor's degree, even if it is Disney. My school in particular makes it extremely difficult to graduate on time if you take a semester off, I just happened to be lucky.

I think these are two reasons that stick out. I also think students might look for other companies related to their field of study, if specialized. I had already worked at two other theme parks while in high school and was pleasantly far up the chain when I left for college.

Plus, honestly I don't think a lot of people know about the program. I had never heard of it till I was out of college. I probably would have applied. It seems like a fun way to spend a summer and probably good experience for those with limited work history. Probably, wouldn't hurt if seeking a corporate position later.

I think these are two reasons that stick out. I also think students might look for other companies related to their field of study, if specialized. I had already worked at two other theme parks while in high school and was pleasantly far up the chain when I left for college.

Plus, honestly I don't think a lot of people know about the program. I had never heard of it till I was out of college. I probably would have applied. It seems like a fun way to spend a summer and probably good experience for those with limited work history.

But surely they give presidence when selecting CP applicants to those WITH work history?

I mean, I have tons of work history, and I'm hoping that's the strongest factor that will play in my favor.

But surely they give presidence when selecting CP applicants to those WITH work history?

I mean, I have tons of work history, and I'm hoping that's the strongest factor that will play in my favor.

I have no idea what they look for, but many employers like experience. I can't imagine that it would hurt you. Good luck on your application. They seem to put together a good program from what I hear.

While a person might have loads and loads of working history, they still could come up short compared to a person who can convey that they are more enthusiastic, eager, and just a better fit for Disney in general. Disney is huge on personality. These jobs don't require great amounts of knowledge, but someone's personality is something Disney can't really change, so above all they're looking for someone whose attitude fits what Disney wants.

Great point. A lot of what Disney is about is just "being" Disney. All of the CMs where I work have that attitude and we have it in common. That is why you can find people with lots of experience and those without.

Yes, they do put together a good program. It just isn't for some people, which is where negativity can come from. It's a great experience, even if it isn't always positive at times. I had a lot of challenging times during my CP, but it made me a better person at the end because I stuck through it.

I think it's because at first it might seem like a great opportunity- living in Orlando, being away from school, getting into Disney for free, but then once people hear the price they pay they realize there are just other opportunities for them. A lot of people would rather do internships that are more along the lines of a traditional internship, where you get to work directly in the field you wish to work with and learn skills that will relate to that field. While Disney can offer that for some majors there may not be equal opportunity in this program for others, which isn't really Disney's fault, but it's true.

Others can't afford to take a semester off of school and find the CP is not worth losing a scholarship or valuable semester of school for. Others just have no interest in it.

Personally I think the CP is mainly for people who honestly and truly, from the bottom of their heart, dream of working for Disney or just love to be around the Disney atmosphere. I can see why the average person would choose another job or choose to stay in school rather than do the program- you do work insane hours, at all hours of the clock (meaning 3 and 4 am), in all weather conditions. Some people might not find that appealing and might stick with a safer choice. Others don't mind those conditions at all, and they would do anything to work for Disney.

Honestly I think Disney should start making more of a note of this during their presentations. Too many people get down there and realize this program just isn't for them, that it is hard work, and well, that it is work. I knew people who were surprised that we'd be on our feet all day, lol! I think they need to start making this program more geared towards people who truly would like to start a career with Disney rather than the average student who just wants a semester off of school.

For a lot of people, what we do on the CP doesn't relate to their field of study at all. If they don't truly love Disney, then I totally understand why they wouldn't be interested. If you're a psychology major, how is checking people out at a register for minimum wage really going to help your future? It's a tough, low-level, thankless job just like any other. It might be in Florida and at Disney, but it's still a job. It's not worth it to take a semester off then, you know?

The program is for those who love Disney (like me) or those majoring in like hospitality/business.

Not always. When I did my first CP, that was my first job...ever. So I had no work experience when I applied.

My DD will be working the college program this fall... she isn't working in her career field (she got QUICK FOOD AND BEVEAGE) and she is a Psyc major... and her college gives her 12 credit hours... so she is still able to graduate on time... infact... she is finishing her bachelors in three years... so it really doesn't mean you have to graduate late ... she works really hard by taking summer classes and winter sesssion classes as well...

For a lot of people, what we do on the CP doesn't relate to their field of study at all. If they don't truly love Disney, then I totally understand why they wouldn't be interested. If you're a psychology major, how is checking people out at a register for minimum wage really going to help your future? It's a tough, low-level, thankless job just like any other. It might be in Florida and at Disney, but it's still a job. It's not worth it to take a semester off then, you know?

(Apoligy for Double-Postinng)

Easy. If you're a Psychology major then there's a lot of psychology to be observed in the service industry.

Plus, it would broaden your horizons to learn how the other half of us live. :wink:

(Apoligy for Double-Postinng)

Easy. If you're a Psychology major then there's a lot of psychology to be observed in the service industry.

Plus, it would broaden your horizons to learn how the other half of us live. :wink:
Well, it's a stretch. I don't feel like I'm really expanding my psychology knowledge here. I am however having a lot of fun and learning a lot of life lessons. I guess that's something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter