Why are so many things still temporarily closed?

I really prefer to try looking at the glass as half full, not half empty. I'm sure most of us remember how disappointing it was a year ago at this time at Disney - restaurants closed, shows canceled, just a mess - but at least they were open. A year later, it's still not 100%, but it's so much improved from last year. And I expect it will be even more improved 12 months from now.

Some of the things that are closed are probably still due to Covid related staffing and business issues. I'm totally bummed Ample Hills is closed!!

Some of the things are closed because they're building new attractions (the RR and Iron, as an example). But we do get excited by new attractions!

If people are going to WDW and spending most of the trip wishing for things that used to be, you're going to be disappointed. I prefer to go and enjoy the things that are there now, and look forward to more expansion in the upcoming years. I'm ecstatic Candlelight Processional and Christmas are back this year. I can find nothing negative in that!! Just my opinion.
The ice cream parlor that replaced Ample Hills is great!

Our last 2 stays at Hilton were definitely not as this policy describes. Daily housekeeping without scheduling, and definitely nothing in protective wrapping of any kind. This was 2 weeks ago. It could be regional as Massachusetts COVID numbers are very good or it may just be according to ability to fully staff. The aforementioned policy is definitely not permanent and across the board for all Hilton properties.

Awesome you had great stays with full service.

I shared it because it is Hilton's new corporate policy. Hotels are a bit different in that they are owned by a holding group or individual company and commit to a brand, such as Hilton. They are obligated to meet all minimum standards, provide a like look, purchase supplies for consistency across the brand. No Hilton other than the few brands listed exempted are required to provide daily housekeeping. If they do great, but no one can be upset if they arrive to the new brand standards. It would be up to any hotel to determine their service beyond what is required.

Hilton is likely not the only one. Marriott announced this summer only Luxury Brands will get daily housekeeping, all else on request. Not sure that has been maintained. but doesn't look like website has changed.

I've seen people post saying they want a reduced price because some of the attractions weren't operating that particular day. Or because it rained. No they arent going to reduce the price because stuff is different now.

I have a relative doing College Program next year, there's plenty of staff coming in for that program, they will have them all trained up soon enough. International visitors are allowed back as of this week, but not international workers- that has yet to happen, but once it does, they will be able to bring back the international program.

Ample Hills went bankrupt, they weren't kicked out due to cost cutting or covid.

Last edited:
I question if removing daily housekeeping will hold as the "new normal" for major hotel brands.

Because a room doesn't get 100% cleaned each cleaning, and things will get harder to keep clean if it's not done on a daily basis.

For example, I suspect a typical vacuuming job picks up 80% of dirt/crumbs/whatever in the room, but leaves 20% behind. Vacuuming every day is what keeps the place clean. If you're only vacuuming once every 4 days, you either need to spend more time vacuuming each room or the carpet is going to get grimier sooner.

Same thing with cleaning the bathroom. Most of us know from experience, it's much easier to keep a bathroom clean by doing more frequent periodic cleaning vs. waiting until soap scum and other stuff builds up.

And the % of broken/soiled items housekeeping finds will go down - or again, they'll have to dedicate a larger % of their time to inspect the room when the room comes up for it's cleaning.

I'm sure there's a balance between unnecessary cleaning and not enough cleaning (maybe it's once every other day, IDK), but IMO hotel rooms with less frequent housekeeping are going to start looking a lot rougher and smell worse over time.

I recently received a survey email from Disney about my "upcoming" resort stay in May 2022. They survey included questions about whether I was aware of the "perks" of staying a WDW resort ie. early park entry, etc. Also inquired whether I knew that Magic Express would be expiring at end of year. While I did note that I was fully aware of such perks and recent changes, I also indicated that I will cancel my May 2022 trip, and book elsewhere because many attractions and services that remain closed or limited/modified and it is not reflected in cost. I also noted that in addition to limited and modified experiences I am now being charged for a service that was previously included in cost (Fast Pass + Vs Genie +), so as a result I'm cancelling my reservation, and I'm going elsewhere. I recognize that some things may improve by then, but there's no guarantee they will. I'd rather go somewhere where I know what I'm getting for my money, and where I don't feel taken advantage of. We have a Fall 2022 trip planned and I'm hoping that more experiences will be back to normal by then.

Fortunately, I fall into the category of still being able to afford a Disney Vacation for my family. Just because we have the money, I don't appreciate being taken advantage of. We did travel to Disney in late Spring 2021, we had a great time! Experiences and services were limited, but the price we paid for tickets and to stay at a deluxe resort fairly reflected that! We went all out in 2019 and it cost a pretty penny; we had an amazing time (first trip with our little ones), but looking back there was SO much more included in our base price (magic bands, ME, character meet and greets, autographs, FP+, daily mousekeeping etc etc etc). I don't mind shelling out the money, but it has be worth it, and right now, eh, it's just not worth it.

Let's be real here, Disney fandom put aside, it's hard for me to fathom why anyone would defend, let alone, justify corporate greed. The fact that anything at all is still "temporarily closed" or not operating normally is UNACCEPTABLE. No excuses! At this point, the pandemic has been severely over-exhausted and is no longer a valid excuse..

Let's be real here, Disney fandom put aside, it's hard for me to fathom why anyone would defend, let alone, justify corporate greed. The fact that anything at all is still "temporarily closed" or not operating normally is UNACCEPTABLE. No excuses! At this point, the pandemic has been severely over-exhausted and is no longer a valid excuse..
What in the world? That is factually untrue. Covid outbreaks along with long-standing labor and supply chain shortages are still affecting business in almost every industry, worldwide. Inflation is taking off in the US and wreaking havoc on pricing and financial planning models.

Awesome you had great stays with full service.

I shared it because it is Hilton's new corporate policy. Hotels are a bit different in that they are owned by a holding group or individual company and commit to a brand, such as Hilton. They are obligated to meet all minimum standards, provide a like look, purchase supplies for consistency across the brand. No Hilton other than the few brands listed exempted are required to provide daily housekeeping. If they do great, but no one can be upset if they arrive to the new brand standards. It would be up to any hotel to determine their service beyond what is required.

Hilton is likely not the only one. Marriott announced this summer only Luxury Brands will get daily housekeeping, all else on request. Not sure that has been maintained. but doesn't look like website has changed.

I am Marriott Titanium and travel every week for business.... I am getting full housekeeping at most locations now, as recently as this week. I have had a few random properties have similar policies like you posted, but definitely not an overall strategy. My stays include basic Fairfield/Springhill/Courtyard and usually full service Marriott/Renaissance properties. But definitely not Luxury brands.

I am Marriott Titanium and travel every week for business.... I am getting full housekeeping at most locations now, as recently as this week. I have had a few random properties have similar policies like you posted, but definitely not an overall strategy. My stays include basic Fairfield/Springhill/Courtyard and usually full service Marriott/Renaissance properties. But definitely not Luxury brands.
I wonder if hotels with primarily business travelers are able to handle daily with less staff. I know some hotels will avoid the kinds of deals that bring in lots of families on the weekends because the housekeeping staffing needs are way higher than for weekday/business travelers

I think the Hilton thing is they are offering it upon request. I stayed 2 nights at a Hilton and the agent asked me what I preferred. I think they are trying to reduce contact more than save money. I have always been offered daily housekeeping this past year at many of the Hilton brands we stay at.

I don’t even like daily housekeeping at most hotels but my towel and extra blanket/pillow needs are high. I’ve learned over the years to go get them myself by very politely asking and tipping. Sometimes doesn’t work at larger resorts but there’s almost always someone willing to help out if they can

Have you been shopping or ordered food from a restaurant anytime in the past few months? There are labor and supply shortages everywhere, worldwide. It’s going to take a long time to recover. Also, the pandemic is very much still a thing.

I really prefer to try looking at the glass as half full, not half empty. I'm sure most of us remember how disappointing it was a year ago at this time at Disney - restaurants closed, shows canceled, just a mess - but at least they were open. A year later, it's still not 100%, but it's so much improved from last year. And I expect it will be even more improved 12 months from now.

Some of the things that are closed are probably still due to Covid related staffing and business issues. I'm totally bummed Ample Hills is closed!!

Some of the things are closed because they're building new attractions (the RR and Iron, as an example). But we do get excited by new attractions!

If people are going to WDW and spending most of the trip wishing for things that used to be, you're going to be disappointed. I prefer to go and enjoy the things that are there now, and look forward to more expansion in the upcoming years. I'm ecstatic Candlelight Processional and Christmas are back this year. I can find nothing negative in that!! Just my opinion.
It’s not so much that things are still closed, it’s that they are charging back to normal pricing, actually even more… but offering 3/4 or less of the experience of pre pandemic.
You can still go and have a great time with what’s open and even with limits on service and experiences. It’s the being taken for that doesn’t feel so great at least for me!

Have you been shopping or ordered food from a restaurant anytime in the past few months? There are labor and supply shortages everywhere, worldwide. It’s going to take a long time to recover. Also, the pandemic is very much still a thing.
I’m actually surprised at this point that no one here has suggested Disney started Covid just to save money.

I’ll take my points.

The answer is in Disney's Q4 earnings call. CFO bragged about going cheap on what was offered. Then Cheap-ek said they have plenty of room to raise prices.

Most of the full-service hotels I stay at ask me if I would like daily housekeeping when I check in. I usually decline as I am usually only staying 2 or 3 nights. When I stay at WDW at my DVC resorts I always do split stays, so again I am only at each resort for 3 or 4 nights. I can get by that long without daily housekeeping. In addition DVC has been coming into the rooms and taking away trash and sometimes replacing towels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter