Why are Canadian Geese on the Endangered Species list?

castleview

I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown
This floors me. Until two days ago, I never knew they were a problem for airplanes. But as a member of the local parks department and homeowner, I'e known what a huge problem they can be. How did they get on the EPA's list?

I didn't look too deeply into it, but if you do a quick google search with "canada geese endangered species" you'll get a bunch of headlines about how they are a "success story." So it looks to me like they were once in danger, but have come back.

They're everywhere around here. There's one shopping center we go to in WV, and they completely fill a field right next to it. You can hear them honking away.

This floors me. Until two days ago, I never knew they were a problem for airplanes. But as a member of the local parks department and homeowner, I'e known what a huge problem they can be. How did they get on the EPA's list?

Deep pockets and an influential lobby group?

;)

I didn't look too deeply into it, but if you do a quick google search with "canada geese endangered species" you'll get a bunch of headlines about how they are a "success story." So it looks to me like they were once in danger, but have come back.

They're everywhere around here. There's one shopping center we go to in WV, and they completely fill a field right next to it. You can hear them honking away.

There is a local park here with a lake, that is over run with geese. Its disgusting. The entire ground is covered in poo, everywhere, and they chase you around expecting food. They are very aggressive. Its unhealthy and it stinks like you wouldn't believe.

When we used to go to Greenwood lake NJ there were thousands of these geese. Every year there were more and more of them, and they never did seem to migrate south. They started a hunting season on them a few years ago because of overpopulation.

I believe that it was only one type of Canada Goose that was on the endangered list because its numbers were so low back in the 1970's. It was the Aleutian Goose that summers in Alaska and winters in Western USA. It has now been taken off the list.

They cull Canada Geese in many areas. They can be filthy and nasty.

Animals are declared endangered when their populations fall below a certain point (normally the point where the genetic pool isn't large enough or populations aren't close enough to allow breeding to happen easily).

In the 1950's, the Canadian Goose was thought to be extinct, until a small flock was found. Now it's listed under the classification "Least concern". So basically shoot 'em, stuff 'em, eat 'em, and be happy :goodvibes

:confused3 I can't find any reference to Canada Geese being on the endangered species list, but I found a sub-species called the Aleutian Goose which was determined as having only 800 living birds in 1967 and was listed as endangered. Looks like they were changed as "endandered" to "threatened" in 1990.

There is a local park here with a lake, that is over run with geese. Its disgusting. The entire ground is covered in poo, everywhere, and they chase you around expecting food. They are very aggressive. Its unhealthy and it stinks like you wouldn't believe.

Same here. We used to picnic at one park in particular. If those geese saw you coming with a bag they'd chase you. We were looking for a quiet spot and they literally chased us around the lake. The squirrels did too. Scared the kids. Awful.

The Canada geese who have settled in the U.S. and live here year round are NOT endangered. However, the ones who continue to migrate between Canada and the warmer south in winter ARE endangered. Yes, it's the same animal, same species, but there's supposed to be a difference (not that I get exactly).

There is an island near LaGuardia Airport where the migrating Canada geese stop to rest and feed during migration. They are likely what flew into the jet's engines. A pilot friend says that island is preserved for these creatures even though it creates extra risk in flying around that airport during certain times of the year.

The saying, "like crap through a goose" didn't come from thin air. ;)

I don't think the Canada Goose is or has ever been on the Endangered Species List. At least not on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Endangered Species List.

Now the Aleutian Canada Goose was on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service ESL from 67 through 03/2001 but has been removed from the list because they are recovered.

If it was up to me they would REALLY be on the endangered list. I hate those things. They are crappers that never leave.

by Andy Levy

In the wake of the events of 1-15, in which a wedge of Geese brought down a US Airways aircraft, here’s what you won’t be hearing about from the so-called “Mainstream Media”: We brought this on ourselves.

After an event such as this one, it’s important to look at the root causes: Why did the Geese attack us? Well, the truth is, for years we have been oppressing the Geese, using them for the fuel they provide for our bodies.
Boneless Goose Breast, Brandied Roast Goose, Roast Goose with Cumberland Sauce and Apricot Stuffing. And of course, the Christmas Goose. In the name of religion, we have been engaged in what can only be called a Crusade against the Geese. Is it any wonder that a few brave suicide Geese would seek revenge?

Under the neocon/neofascist Cheney-Bush administration, Goose consumption is up 1541%. Geese have been systematically deprived of their rights at a level never seen before. (Look around your workplace: do you see any Geese? Wouldn’t you be nervous if you did?) Reports of shameful anti-Goose activity are at an all-time high, mainly in the South and Midwest, of course.

The fact is, WE (and, of course, Israel) are responsible for the rise of militant Gooslam. Given our actions, is it any wonder that gaggles of Goslings would reject the teachings of moderate Goose leaders, when those leaders are perceived as being in the pocket of the West? Given our actions, is it any wonder that these young Gooslamists would flock to more assertive leaders, leaders whose commitment to their cause cannot be questioned? Given our actions, the rise of a “Goosama” was inevitable. We have only ourselves to blame. (Does anyone doubt that somewhere there’s a photo of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with a Goose?)

In the moments right after 1-15, many have been quick to praise the actions of the US Airways pilot. But the TRUTH is that our pilots have been instruments of the BU****LER illegal war against the Geese. I know the Repuglicans will attack me for saying this, but speaking TRUTH TO POWER of course makes me a true PATRIOT. And very brave.

Right now America’s relationship with other species couldn’t be worse. Like most Americans, often when I’m hiking I find myself apologizing to woodland creatures for the actions of our illegitimate government. And like the rest of the world, I’m hopeful that once President Obama takes office, things will change, and that we will end our imperialistic attempts at hegemony over the rest of the planet. After all, if he can sit down with Iran and Hezbollah, he can sit down with the Geese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter