Who is good at being frugal or thrifty.....need advice.

chrismiss56

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS....
Hi to all!!

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day weekend!! DH and I are in the process of finding financial peace. :cool1: :cool1:

I have been reading about various authors that are "experts" in being frugal. There are many books out there such as Tightwad Gazette and The Cheapskate something (not sure what it is called).

Who offers the best advice?

Any help in becoming more frugal in my lifestyle is welcomed!!

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

Hi, chrismiss56! Kinda hard to say who gives the "best" advice, because there are a number of good authors out there IMHO. I read all kinds of stuff about personal finance; it's kind of a hobby. Sounds like you're more interested in books on living a frugal lifestyle, as opposed to Dave Ramsey or David Bach type books (which I also enjoy).

I really like anything by Mary Hunt, who writes the Cheapskate Monthly. One of her books is called "Debt Proof Living", but I know I've read other good books by her too. The titles escape me at the moment.

I also recently discovered an author named Ellie Kay, and I really liked her book called "Shop, Save, and Share." She's nicknamed "The Coupon Queen", and I can see why after reading her book! :goodvibes Great stuff! I also read another book by her (forgot that title too), but liked "Shop, Save, and Share" better. She has a brand new one out called "The Debt Diet." My library is getting that for me thru an inter-library loan.

I've read the Tightwad Gazette books, and got a few ideas from those. But they seemed a little outdated to me in places.

One more suggestion - I really like the book "Spend Well, Live Rich" by Michelle Singletary. Good, practical stuff.

Hope that helps! Half the battle is staying motivated to be frugal, right? Best wishes! :flower:

Any help in becoming more frugal in my lifestyle is welcomed!!
Always spend less than you can afford to spend and use coupons.

Everyone's opinion of frugal and thrifty is different...I really liked the Millionaire Next Door, and Smart Women Retire Rich. I also have read the TG and many other frugal sites.
It is all a matter of comfort level. Like I know I could save hundred's a year by cancelling our cable, and HS internet, but since we never go out I think the trade off is ok, and DH needs the HS internet for work.
Good Luck to you in your quest.

Who is the Millionaire Next Door and Smart Women Retire Rich by?

Yes, I understand that living beneath my means will give us financial peace and we have been working on it. I thought asking on this board would maybe give us some hints that we had not thought of.

In our area there is no coupon doubling - any other hints for reducing grocery costs. Alot of our budget gets eaten there :):)

Thanks for all

chrismiss56 said:
In our area there is no coupon doubling - any other hints for reducing grocery costs. Alot of our budget gets eaten there :):)
Some tips I've heard over and over are always shop with a list, shop alone if at all possible (kids and hubbies always seem to add more to the basket than you plan!), never shop when you're hungry, and stick to the outside aisles of the grocery stores. Most of the healthier and basic stuff is along the edges -- produce, meat, dairy -- and the unhealthy processed and packaged (and expensive!) stuff is up and down the center aisles. ;)

DiznEeyore said:
always shop with a list, shop alone if at all possible (kids and hubbies always seem to add more to the basket than you plan!), never shop when you're hungry, and stick to the outside aisles of the grocery stores.

YES, very good advice. The kids can add SO MUCH to the grocery bill. I sit down with the weekly sale papers from the grocery store and my stack of coupons and make my list based on how many meals we are going to fix at home (most!) and what is on sale really cheap that we use all the time anyway. I only save the coupons that are for things that I already buy unless it is something new that we want to try.

Do you have a weekend market in town?

We just paid $5 for a bushel of tomatoes and spent the day making a six month supply of thick vegetable soup, chili, stewed tomatoes, etc.

I drive a 13 year old car and use the money I would have paid for car payments on my trips to Disney. I spend around $5000 for 50 days per year, less than some people spend in one trip.

You have my sincere admiration....how ever do you do it? Give us some pointers......you are amazing!!! Barb in Texas.

Cooking from scratch is usually cheaper than processed foods. Also there are some foods that you can stretch out and make a couple meals from like making bbq sandwiches with leftover roast, adding different toppings to baked potatoes and also using them for sides. Breakfast for dinner is cheap, too, especially eggs. Try having one or two meatless dinners a week (pasta for example).

i've read a couple of the books-the tightwad and cheapscape ones, the problem i encountered were the average prices they quoted were in no way in line with my area. also, a lot of them were very labor intensive-to the extent that if you were a 2 parent household with both parents full time employed-you would never get to see your family!!!

here are a few tips i can pass on (on the big end and on the small end)-

If you a considering changing cars-first call your insurance company and find out what the change in model will do to your premiums (premiums vary greatly model to model). same thing goes if you have a second or third car you are thinking of selling-you may be getting a multi-car discount that you could lose via the sale (and it may be more than you are putting out to just register the extra car and keep it parked in the driveway).

Consider paying a little more to save a lot-we opted to add rental car insurance to our auto coverage (pays for 20 days of a rental car or $500.00 which usualy covers more than 20 days)-costs us only $5.00 more per month/roadside service was $30.00 per year which was a large savings over 3-A.
We also raised our homeowner's deductable to $1000.00-it reduced the premium by over 50% which we used a small portion of to buy a security system. the security system further reduced the premium plus-if we are robbed and the system fails (when it is tripped the service auto calls the local police), the security company will pay the $1000.00 deductable.

grocery shopping-

#1 TOP TIP (yes this works-i do it on a very regular basis): before you pay an outrageous price for ground beef or stew/soup meat. CHECK THE PRICES ON EVERY CUT OF BEEF IN THE STORE! often london broil steaks or beautiful rolled roasts are on sale at as much a few dollars less per pound. have the butcher grind or cut it for you (stores do this free of charge). i have had a butcher look at me and ask "Mam-do you realy want me to grind this beautiful roast up?"-i always say "yes, it's x number of dollars per pound less than your ground beef and it has a lower fat content". then they say-you know you're right :teeth: now my local grocery store's butchers just smile and ask me how many packages i want it broken down into :goodvibes i also will buy large racks of pork ribs when the are on sale and have the butcher saw them down the middle into babyback style (a savings of about 2.00 per pound recently).

stock up on items after the big foodie holidays-we eat cranberry sauce all year long with chicken, so i get it when they are clearing it out for 10 cents per can after thanksgiving. i bought vanilla canned frosting for 19 cents each (because it was a week after july 4th and the little container on the top had red, white and blue sprinkles), right now you will start to see big sales on condiments-we use mayo, mustard, catsup and relish all year long (bbq sauce as well) i buy a few smaller sized turkeys right after christmas (4.99 each) to put in the freezer and cook on the weekends. if something is on a very good sale that i use on a regular basis-i stock up on it (but only if it is non perishable).

you have to find what works best for you and your lifestyle.

Hi, i also find the dollar stretcher website very good.I always buy items that have been reduced that i use, in bulk and freeze them.For gifts,when they are on sale i will buy and store till a suitable celebration, usually christmas/birthdays come up.As mentioned after big celebrations is the best time to stock up, as things go for silly prices.Many people laugh at me,but since i have more time than money, i will go the extra money to be careful-not mean with my money.This enables me to be able to give my kids trips each year which we thouroughly enjoy :banana:

barkley: I would NEVER have thought to look at various cuts and have them ground. I considered myself a good shopper, but clearly I have room for improvement! Great tip! :flower:

Read a lot of different books and take whatever you can use out of each of them.
The insurance is true, I had a 10 yr old Oldsmobile that I sold and we bought a new van, the insurance went down $200.00 a yr, I called to make sure it was right and he said older cars cost more to fix. I don't know, but it was a surprise. Also when we put both cars and house with the same company we got a nice discount as well.

bearzabout said:
Do you have a weekend market in town?

We just paid $5 for a bushel of tomatoes and spent the day making a six month supply of thick vegetable soup, chili, stewed tomatoes, etc.

Just wanted to say what a deal you got! We paid $15/bushel. Bought six bushels and spent the day canning 132 quarts.

I just bought the Millionaire Next Door..by T.J.Stanley and W.D. Danko..$15.00 at Borders....bascially it is this 'live below your income' dont laugh i know you are going to say you already do..just because you can afford to spend $250.00 a day for a hotel at WDW why do that? wait for a code or by an AP.....wait till that lawn mower is on sale or clearane at the end of summer (if u can ) I was a SAHM but my 'job' was finding the bargains I love it.....also contribute to your companies matching 401K if they have any....I am not thur with this book...I could bearly get on my computer i was enjoying it...DH retires next yr...but its never to let to start or learn .more...right???

I agree, the millionaire next door is an excellent read! Also the "richest man in babylon" is great my library carries both of these. Other great books are
Smart Couples Retire Rich & Automatic Millionaire. Check the libraries before buying :)

Lori

I really like a book called "Choosing Simplicity." The author's name escapes me at the moment. It's not a "how to book" that teaches tips on how to save or invest, etc. but it is a reflection on the rewards of living a simpler, less hectic and expensive life. It's not a book about living in the woods or other super drastic living styles; it's stories of real people with real jobs who have found ways to scale back and find peace (financial and personal) in a world that is constantly pushing "stuff" and "hurry" on us. Lovely read that I go back to often when I need to remember that I am on the right track by choosing to live differently than most.

chrismiss56 said:
Who is the Millionaire Next Door and Smart Women Retire Rich by?

Yes, I understand that living beneath my means will give us financial peace and we have been working on it. I thought asking on this board would maybe give us some hints that we had not thought of.

Thanks for all

David Bach wrote Smart women finish rich

Millionaire Next door is by Thomas Stanley and William Danko. Good book--really opens your eyes to the cultural concepts of wealth vs real wealth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter