Who drives from the Cleveland, Ohio area???

If and only if you can fly out on a Friday or Monday & fly back on a Friday or a Monday, check out flying Allegiant Air out of the Youngstown/Warren Airport (YNG) into the Sanflord FL (SFB) airport. You can get tickets for $59 each way and I have seen that rental car costs out of SFB can be pretty cheap.

Steve

I've done both and I won't drive again. The cost of staying overnight, meals, wear on the car, vacation time staring through the windshield vs. a two hour and twenty minute flight is no contest.

I have direct flights from Southwest out of Cleveland for June that go about $260 (includes fees and taxes). That is cheaper than the Continental price you are working from. And that is the current price today (even though SW is dropping one of the two nonstops from Cleveland in May).

I have a 11:30am flight out from Cleveland and I'll land in Orlando before 2pm. I should be onsite around 3pm and have the rest of the day to enjoy myself. You don't have to leave your house early for that flight.

We drove from Canton to Disney at least a half dozen times. Figure about 16 hours from there, so 17 from Cleveland. A decent room can be found for 75 or less with the exit books, even the state line welcome centers will book your ressie, often at a discount.

My parents have flown out of CAK via Airtran, we dropped them off at the CAK airport and picked them up in Orlando 16 hours later, it's ironic that we drove quicker than they flew, but they had a layover in Atlanta and weather delays.

As for the safety of driving vs flying, I do not know of anyone killed in an auto accident, but 6 acquaintences died within 10 miles of my backyard a few years ago on Comair 5191. When you drive past a mass gravesite 2-4 times a day, the prospective changes.

My feet stay on the ground.

There are more deaths on I-77 and I-95 every year than there are in 20 or 30 years of airline travel. Nationwide (not just on those two interstates), 50,000 people die in car accidents every year.

That is the beauty of stats, they can be slanted anyway a person wants.. The average person spends around 200-300 hours per year in a car, the average person spends less than an hour a year on a plane, so raw numbers will always make air travel look much safer..

We drove from Canton to Disney at least a half dozen times. Figure about 16 hours from there, so 17 from Cleveland. A decent room can be found for 75 or less with the exit books, even the state line welcome centers will book your ressie, often at a discount.

My parents have flown out of CAK via Airtran, we dropped them off at the CAK airport and picked them up in Orlando 16 hours later, it's ironic that we drove quicker than they flew, but they had a layover in Atlanta and weather delays.

As for the safety of driving vs flying, I do not know of anyone killed in an auto accident, but 6 acquaintences died within 10 miles of my backyard a few years ago on Comair 5191. When you drive past a mass gravesite 2-4 times a day, the prospective changes.

My feet stay on the ground.

Airtran also has one nonstop daily from CAK as well if you don't want to connect in ATL. They are comparable to Continental from CLE, and prices are normally cheaper. I just checked my dates and from CAK on Airtran, prices are at $99 each way.

You will get a much cheaper airfare if you book closer to your date of travel (but not too close). Start looking at fares in July and book in August or September. Airlines routinely offer sales for particular periods but usually not for travel 6 months out. Since you are willing to drive just keep looking at airfares until you find one you like. Again, you have nothing to lose by waiting since you are willing to drive.

I usually fly even for short trips as I find it easier and more relaxing. I would much rather kick back with a nice cocktail then concentrate on the road. Once I rode in the car with a friend from DC to Key West. :eek: He wanted my help with driving so I couldn't back out and fly like I wanted to. The drive down was surprisingly easy since we were excited to get there (and I slept for several hours). BUT...let me tell you, that drive back was BRUTAL!!! Even with a overnight stop in Columbia, SC that was easily the worst car trip of my entire life. We didn't hit any traffic, it just felt like an eternity and we were all tired from having fun in the Keys.

If you can afford it....DEFINITELY FLY!!!

Like others that have posted, we've done both -- and will never drive again!

The last 2 times we went, we flew-- once out of Detroit on Spirit and once out of Pittsburgh. We're going at the beginning of July and this time we're flying out of Akron Canton. We found RT airfare for the 4 of us for about $750:thumbsup2 .

We found that the extra money was worth it.

We live in suburban Cleveland. Over the past 5 years, we have driven twice and flown twice to WDW. There are pros and cons for each.

I like the "control" you get from driving. On our first trip, we decided to stay an extra night. Couldn't have done that if we'd flown (unless we spent lots of money to change our flight.) Telling our ds we were staying another night was a very magical moment. Also, while it's unlikely you'll have flight delays, due to the time of year you're going and the weather in Fla. and the fact that the flight will most likely be a nonstop direct flight, but it can happen. I was stuck in Tucson for 2 extra days last year b/c of high winds in Dallas. Messed up the whole country.

Another plus to driving is that we can bring lots of stuff with us. We brought lots of food for the road AND for our room once we arrived at WDW. I brought a bottle of wine and dh brought is vodka and vermouth. I brought my favorite pillow. We didn't have to mess with finding a grocery store (and a way to get there) when we arrived at WDW. When we flew and rented a car we drove to a grocery store, but when we took ME, I packed a suitcase full of food. It was doable, but not as nice as packing our car with stuff from home, especially with the new liquid regulations on planes.

We also stopped at a couple other places on the way home. On another trip, we stopped and visited other family in Florida before Disney.

I thought the drive didn't seem that long and we arrived fairly rested. We actually had lots of nice conversations in the car and ds kept himself busy. We didn't even have a dvd player. One year, we left on a Friday night and stopped in W. Va the first night. Stopped in Kingsdale, Ga the 2nds night., just 2-3 hours from WDW GOt up early and we were at WDW by 10am. The 2nd trip we left in the morning and drove to Charlotte, NC, got to Fla. the next evening. We've stopped for one night on the way home. Years ago, we'd drive straight through to Fla., and drive all night. Too old for that now. I'd be too tired on arrival (or have an accident.)

The advantage of flying is that it's so darn fast and saves you a couple days travel time. The first year we flew, we used Magical Express and didn't rent a car. That worked out great. You might consider that. I bet you can get airfare that's under $200 rt pp. We've flown both Continental and Southwest and never paid over that and we went during spring break.

The other time we flew, we rented a car. That cost a bit more, but you have the convienence of a car. We needed it to visit family, but if we'd just been going to WDW, we would have gone with ME again.

Either way, you're going to WDW! You could always plan for driving, but keep looking for airfares. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a good one closer to your date.

I just did the triple A fuel calculator and at current gas prices, it came out to $255 round trip Cleveland to Orlando for our Toyota Sienna. That seems pretty cheap. I figure about $100/night for a decent hotel, so 455 for gas and lodging. I think we would pack snacks and lunch. It is 12 hours to Savannah, but the question mark is how many times we will have to stop with two kids, so I am sure it will be closer to the 14 hour mark.

I hope we can get airfare close to 400-500 like several of you have mentioned and I will keep an eye on Akron-Canton as well.

Thanks for all the input. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Just plan carefully. We did the drive from Lake County Ohio (east of Cleveland) to WDW for the first time in 2005. My kids were 2,5,6,&11. I used AAA and Mapquest to figure out how long the drive was. Then I added in a rest-area break about every 2 hours for 15 minutes (except the night driving portion). Well, lo and behold, the kids didn't NEED to stop that much. Nobody did. We don't speed, but still ended up at WDW in 2:30am instead of 6:30am. That was really, really bad!

Beth

p.s. The drive home is always super-easy for us. Nobody is anxious to just GET THERE, so we just clip along calmly in our happy fog. In fact, I don't REMEMBER the drives home!

Thanks for all the input. I think we will see what the prices for flights are this summer and decide from there. Either way, we are just so excited to be going to WDW.:cool1: :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter