Who does the vacation, date night, etc planning in your relationship?

We usually decide as a family where we are going on vacation and I have kids each choose 1 thing they really want to do on the trip. I book and plan the rest with some input from my DH. I usually book and plan date nights.

I do all of the trip planning & make all of the booking arrangements. We always decide together where the next trip will be to. However, for 15 years, DH has been talking about doing a 1-2 week road trip with the kids through New Mexico, northern AZ, and southern UT...something that I am absolutely not interested in doing. I do not want to spend 7-14 days in a car. So on a yearly basis when DH brings up the idea again, I tell him, "Great idea. Go ahead and plan it out, tell me what time of year you want to go, keeping in mind that the kids can't miss school for this sort of thing, figure out how much it'll cost, where we'll stay, what we'll do on the trip, etc."

And then it goes absolutely nowhere. :rotfl2: Because he thinks that I'll plan it all out and will make it happen. I'd rather have a root canal. :rotfl: DH & I will take a long road trip when the kids are out of the house.

Me.

DH likes to putter around the house and do chores, etc. and actually finds that entertaining. He wants every day to look the same. The idea of a date night or a vacation only occurs to him if he can tell I'm getting unhappy. I think he thought "dates" were only for getting the girl, and it never really occurred to him that we'd want to continue.

When we were planning our honeymoon, he couldn't even fathom it. He'd never been on a vacation. He actually really enjoys vacations now, and going out and doing things, it would just never occur to him to do it on his own.

I do everything. My husband does not really like to travel and so he is happy to just go along with what I want to do on the trips that he comes with but I usually go alone or with my girls. I love to travel and to plan trips. I spend a lot of time researching and Google mapping where I am going. It is part of the excitement for me.

For Disney -
I do the advance research.
I present a short list of hotels to DH and DS and we decide together.
DH books the hotel, as well as the flights and rental car, if needed.
The guys give me their "must do" and "hope to" choices for each park, and I do the detail planning/ADRs.

For other trips, DH usually researches the hotels, and I research the activities.

Date nights could be either of us, are more likely planned by DH than me.

Me. It's pretty funny, actually. I used to come up with ideas of places other than WDW and both YDS and DH would nix them and say "WDW", but now they want to go different places. Where? Well, they can't really tell me. DS does want to go to all 50 states before he graduates HS and that's doable with a couple big road trips but I'm the one doing all of the planning. He's been asking to go to California for years, we had it booked for 2020, obviously had to postpone it. It's now in June 2022 and yesterday I was planning and asked him some things about it. His reply was a shrug and "I don't know." The road trips I'm planning has DH all upset because he doesn't like road trips. I told him he can stay home, I'll take DS but he claims he'll have FOMO so he needs to come. :confused3 This is also the man who decided to tell me on the way to the airport last Aug that he wanted to go to the Petrified Forest on our 3 day trip to Sedona and Grand Canyon, but wouldn't tell me anything he wanted to do while I was planning!

We split it based on what the vacation entails. Works for us.

If it's a road trip of any sort, he's in charge. This goes back to our earliest days together when all vacations were two up with camping gear on a sportbike. He tells me what we are doing in advance so I can veto if it's not okay with me (a rarity).

If a plane is involved, I'm in charge. The one thing he gets in advance is a list of where we are considering eating so he has a chance to preview menus and veto if needed as he is a pickier eater than I am.

Gah. Me. 100% of the time. I keep trying to get DH to get involved, but he doesn't. He does give input on overall destination. He never complains about my choices, so there is that.

And this includes our vacation back in 2017 to Scotland, because he wanted "to see the Highlands before he dies." And our trip to England so that he could go to TankFest at the Bovington Tank Museum, and THAT was MY idea.

I do. My wife works hard to run her business. Taxes, banking, answering emails. I fill orders and make sure we don't run out of stuff. I have plenty of free time to plan our adventures together and she has complete faith in me to do it right.

I always book the flights and non-Disney (DVC) hotels, mainly because I used to travel for a living, so I guess that makes me the "expert"!

We both book the DVC rooms, depending on who's "driving" the computer at the time, and we usually share in the rest of the planning. We find that planning and discussing is part of the fun...keeps us excited until departure!

I make suggestions, but DW does all the trip planning, typically. She loves planning, and I love spending time with her wherever.

Date night is a mix. Usually we pass ideas past each other until we find something we really want to do. Every now and then one of us will just say, "let's go do 'x' today." So we'll do that.

I do - 100% of the time. I will bring something/someplace up and tell him what the plans are. I will ask him of course if there is anything he might be interested in, etc.

DH always kids around and tells me, just tell me when to pack :) - He will ask me for the date a thousand times (doctor appointments) but in the end, always, just tell me when to pack. When a friend/someone asks him anything vacation related, dates, he will respond, "you are asking the wrong person, ask my wife".:teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter