who does drydock? DCL staff? hire from outside?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
just curious as to who actually performs the drydock? Does the reg DCL staff get to have 2wks off? Will they be more refreshed after having visited their homes? Or tired from cleaning?

I heard from the entertainment staff that they will be working the whole time, training for the new excursions, etc. I believe she said that the crew on the ship works on the ship as well.

I think both DCL staff and outside vendors are employed during the dry dock. Most of the interior aspects of the ship will be changed out, such as carpeting, and a job of this size could not be accomplished with only DCL staff completing it.

I have heard that they are also repairing the second smoke stack, which obviously must be done by outside help as well

It’s also interesting to know that many Walt Disney World Cast are used by DCL. For instance, I would bet that many of the WDW carpenters, electricians, ect. may help with the dry dock. During the Thanksgiving sailing last year, when the Norwalk virus was hanging around, we were told that a team of microbiologists from Disney’s Animal Kingdom and The Land at Epcot were onboard for the cruise to help out. Very cool that they can pull from all of their resources I think!

Where is the dry dock actually done? Is this actually a true "dry dock" where the ship is hauled out or just pulled up to a dock and worked on while in the water?
I thought I read somewhere before its done up around Norfolk?
If so I would think they'll be using most of their (shipbuilding company's) own employees.
Cheers,
Grumbo

Yes, it is a TRUE dry dock where the ship is hauled out. :)

The yard is in Virginia in the Norfolk area, that is correct.

Although the shipyard crew does all the technical work, the ship's crew is involved in the overhaul and they usually do stay with the ship during the dry dock....at least certain crew does.

We just got off the 9/13 Magic sailing....seems that everyone will be working during dry dock. No time off.

Wasn't the Norfolk area hit pretty hard by Isabel....no power, flooding, etc. I guess by the time next week comes around waters things will be back to normal.

MJ

Interesting info....thx to all

Evidently, the shipyard in Norfolk is where all the remaining government workers who worked in the Philadelphia Naval Yard went. My dad and brother worked there (PNY) their whole lives but neither transferred to Norfolk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter