White Rose, White Rose! A Yorkshireman in Orlando, Day Seven (Labor Day and Karma!)

PudseyChancer

Mouseketeer
We were at a bit of a loss today, as we knew the park would be busier for Labor Day and there did seem to be a fair few more American families staying at the ASSp, the queues were certainly longer when I was volunteered to get the toasties in for breakfast!

We spent the morning proving that it isn't just Michael Phelps who can be graceful in the pool, with me knocking out a few underwater handstands to what I can only imagine was an appreciative audience.

Magic Kingdom was the destination of choice, as usual, Animal Kingdom was proving a hard sell, even with the addition of Expedition Everest. As we got off the bus the heat really started to turn up a couple of notches, as we entered the park a huge American guy came up and asked if we were a party of three. I replied that unless I'd managed to shake off the other two, then yes, we were. He promptly produced three dream fast passes, saying that he had been presented with them but there were eleven people in his group so they were no use to him, did we want them? I was taken aback initially, but thanked him profusely, even considering offering him cash for his kind gesture (thankfully my Yorkshire roots meant that this was a fleeting moment which passed fairly quickly, I have since had intense counselling). Char was particularly chuffed claiming that it was 'the best day of the holiday so far because of these fastpasses', she immediately referred back to the Buzz fastpasses we gave away at Magic Kingdom earlier in the week, saying 'what goes around, comes around'! A little deep for a 12 year old maybe, and not exactly what I'd call a fair swop, but it certainly made our day!

We had even bigger, more stupid grins than normal (some might say that's a physical impossibility!) as we entered the square, we were fingering our fast passes like they were Olympic gold medals. As we took photo's of them (yes, our sadness knows no bounds), another CM approached us and said that this really was our lucky day, did Char want to meet Cinderella in the Royal Apartment? Unsurprisingly, the answer was yes, and we headed straight over to see her, Mel bottled out of a photo and so Char indulged in some idle chit chat with Cinderella.

Mel insisted that as we didn't have to rush around now, could we have lunch at the Plaza, amenable as always I agreed - though a 5 minuted wait turned into a half hour, which given the now intense heat was not as pleasant a wait as it could have been. We passed the time by comparing sun tans, (there was only one winner there!), I was surprised when we finally got in to see a number of empty tables, I can only assume that the wait was so the kitchen staff didn't get overwhelmed. Mel had a grilled reuben sandwich, I had a cheese steak sandwich and Char had chicken tend... NO! There weren't any chicken nuggets/tenders/strips on offer, so she went crazy and ordered a............... turkey sandwich. Mel had a strawberry milkshake, I had a mint choc chip milkshake and Char had a pirates punch. Before anyone rings Childline, it's an unfortunately named beverage, not an act of aggression.

Time to hammer the fast pass, so on to Buzz first, where Mel rode with Char and suffered the consequences of Char's amateur driving skills, when I revealed my score at the end Mel produced her rarely seen 'bad loser face', which for the remainder of the holiday was re-named, her 'Buzz' face. It's a holiday reference that is still used now we're back home, it cheers Mel up no end when it's used, let me tell you! Next on to Winnie the Pooh, which we all really enjoyed, following on with Phillharmagic, where only the cold-hearted could fail to be touched by all the kids reaching out as the 3-d effects take hold. Well, the kids and Mel.

I succumbed for the first time ever to It's a Small World, which was bizarre as Char had tortured me with the CD in the car prior to the holiday, an event which ended with a scolding and the permanent banning of Char and contact with the car CD player. I would describe the ride gladly, in very colourful terms, but this is a family site. We then did Peter Pan which like the Pooh ride was very cute, Mel and Char did the haunted mansion (contrary to some reports, I was not scared, just lazy - it looked a long walk!). We did Splash and Big Thunder, sauntering round to do the Pirates ride, which I didn't feel was too different to the old Pirates version, so much for the Jack Sparrow update! Final exertions were a walk round the Swiss Family Tree House, Char nagged me to do this, but then declared it as rubbish once I had climbed to the top and caught her up!

The only two fast passes we didn't use were Stitch and the Jungle Cruise, we've all been on Stitch and are not big fans, and we weren't that fussed about going back on the Jungle Cruise. We headed back to ASSp, and stopped off for quesadillas, wings, nuggets and beer at the food hall, the quality of food was excellent at the food hall, there were loads of alternatives, plenty of fruit and healthy options. We headed back to the room and crashed out again, shattered but really chuffed with an exciting (and extremely lucky) day.

Tomorrow - Universal

The amusing threads continue.
You were very lucky and Char was right, what goes around comes around.
Next report please!!!

1999 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee.(21 Nights)
2003 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee (14 Nights) (Married during our stay)
2005 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee. (14 Nights)
2006 - Quality Inn, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2007 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2008 - Howard Johnson, Kissimmee. (21 Nights)
2009 - Howard Johnson, (7 Nights), Disney ASMu (21 Nights) (28 Nights total)

well done with the fastpasses :goodvibes . do they do chicken nugget rehab?

Wow you were lucky! Sounds like a great day. :thumbsup2

Three cheers for Karma. Hope you know that your gratious acceptance of the Dream passes made your benefactor's day a better one, too, so the good Karma continues . . .

How amazing to get the dream passes when you really need them on Labor day.

It really sounds like you are all having a great time.

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter