While Africa Trek v. Up Close with Rhinos-- will I regret?!

BaybeeYoda

Mouseketeer
Hi all-- we are planning a trip in June, and have booked up close with Rhinos. Obviously, the price is quite reasonable, but it is only an hour long. My friend said that we REALLY should do the Wild Africa Trek instead, but at 4 times the price (for 6 people), we are loathe to book the trek instead. Your thoughts? How is the Rhino experience? Is the trek experience THAT much more awesome (like, more than four time more awesome?). Any feedback much appreciated!

Last edited:
Didn't realize they had a hippo encounter. We've done the Up Close To Rhinos instead. We've also done Wild Animal Trek, and those experiences were completely different. Have to assume a Hippo encounter would be similar to Rhinos. But the Rhino experiences was pretty simple and educational. The Wild Animal Trek is much more adventurous, a lot of walking, includes photos of your event, and includes snacks/food. Walking over the hippos and crocs was quite an experience! If the cost is prohibitive, don't do the WAT (maybe save that for another trip). For us, it's an experience we'll always remember!

We’ve also done both Up close with Rhinos and the Wild Africa Trek. They were both amazing experiences and plan on doing them again on a future trip. WAT is way more interactive. I wouldn’t hesitate to do both if you can swing it!

Didn't realize they had a hippo encounter. We've done the Up Close To Rhinos instead. We've also done Wild Animal Trek, and those experiences were completely different. Have to assume a Hippo encounter would be similar to Rhinos. But the Rhino experiences was pretty simple and educational. The Wild Animal Trek is much more adventurous, a lot of walking, includes photos of your event, and includes snacks/food. Walking over the hippos and crocs was quite an experience! If the cost is prohibitive, don't do the WAT (maybe save that for another trip). For us, it's an experience we'll always remember!
Woops. meant to type in Rhinos. My brain is cottony today.

We’ve also done both Up close with Rhinos and the Wild Africa Trek. They were both amazing experiences and plan on doing them again on a future trip. WAT is way more interactive. I wouldn’t hesitate to do both if you can swing it!
Which one would you choose if you were to break it down on a cost effective basis (per dollar on a per wow factor)? We can swing the trek price but loathe to do so unless it is THAT amazing.... $41 vs $186 pp

Last edited:
Which one would you choose if you were to break it down on a cost effective basis (per dollar on a per wow factor)? We can swing the trek price but loathe to do so unless it is THAT amazing.... $41 vs $168 pp
Really tough, but if the expense is bothering you before you book, I'd probably start with the Rhinos - which is fascinating to get so close to them. I'm not one to try and figure out the per $ wow factor!! Both were very memorable. Perhaps see how you enjoy the Rhinos next trip, and then maybe splurge next trip?

I have done both and both were fun but if I were to do one again it would be wild Africa Trek. They are entirely different. Up close was like a short lesson on the animal while wild Africa was interactive, educational, we got amazing photos, had a delish snack, and saw tons of animals. If you do wild Africa you want to go early. If it is in the afternoon the animals may be sleeping as it is the hot part of the day.

Which one would you choose if you were to break it down on a cost effective basis (per dollar on a per wow factor)? We can swing the trek price but loathe to do so unless it is THAT amazing.... $41 vs $168 pp
That’s a tough one. DH and I LOVE AK and the animals in general so both were fantastic to us. If you guys are more adventurous, I think that the WAT would give you more “value”. Also consider the planning of the rest of your day, Rhinos is short enough to almost be a “show” where WAT is a longer experience with a meal.

Again these were both great experiences, the bridge over the crocs is crazy awesome but also standing next to and petting a rhino is something I’ll never forget! Whichever you choose, you’ll have a great time.

I’ve done both. They are both scheduled for our next trip. If I absolutely had to choose one I would go with WAT. Since the UCWR isn’t that expensive I decided not to choose.

I've done WAT and it was a great experience, but, honestly, if it exceeds your budget, I would do UCWR and enjoy your time. You can certainly supplement that with activities that are already included in your ticket - the safari, Rafiki's Planet Watch, animal treks, walk around the Tree of Life, maybe even book a lunch at Sanaa at AKL to see the animals from the windows. There is so much to do at Animal Kingdom. Again, if it's going to stress your budget, stick with what you have planned and enjoy your time in AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter