Which Value resort is best?

tophee99

Mouseketeer
Ok, so I am trying to maybe plan a trip to Disney in late September (with the new free dining plan that just came out). DH wants to stay at a MOD, preferably the POFQ.....and it looks just wonderful. However, for the $$ we would save by staying at a value resort, I thought it should be something we consider. So, please share your advice and experiences, and what would you do VALUE or MOD :confused3

I figure overall.........either way is great.....it's DISNEY!! :cheer2:

Tophee

We have stayed at All-Star Movies, Pop Century, and Caribbean Beach Resort. We enjoyed all three. Pop Century is bigger, so depending on where your room is you could have quite a hike to the main building. Pop Century had a great Food Court and gift shop. I liked the theming there - we stayed in the 60s section. All-Star Movies also has great theming. I don't think you could go wrong in either value resort.

I love the All Star Resorts.

I am 55 years old and travel several times a year. I often stay at 4 star hotels.
So the deluxe resorts do not have anything special for me.
All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite.It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Clypso building. It is closer to the pool,food court and bus stop.

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down.All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

Here is the map of All Movies.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmovie.JPG
The Fantasia Buildings are the preferred buildings.
The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.
It is a great place to stay .
Preschoolers love it.
It is like being in the middle of a Disney Movie Fantasyland.

The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot,MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

It is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

The pools at The All Stars are very kid friendly.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

astar3.jpg

All Star Sports pool.

asm_pool2.jpg

All Star Music Donald pool.

asmv20.jpg

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

asmv30.jpg

All Star Movies kiddie pool.

The gift shops are seperate from the food court at the All Stars.
The Gift shop and food court are combinrd at Pop.
Pop has 2,880 guest rooms. 4 floors in each building.
Each of the All Stars have 1,960 rooms. 3 floors in each building. That means more people in the food courts,in the pools and waiting at the bus stop at POP than at the All Stars.

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theaming is pure Disney.
My last 5 visits have been at The All Stars and this fall when we took dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3 for 8 nights we stayed at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic :wizard: at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?
Have a great time at Disney!
I know we did!

I think it really depends on the age of your kids (although any of the Value resorts would appeal to any age child).

If you have very young kids, I'd recommend ASMo...it has a lot of Disney-themed areas, like Toy Story, 101 Dalmations, Alladin, Mighty Ducks, Herbie, etc.

If your kids are older, most would probably prefer ASSp because it has gigantic sports items everywhere and there are always kids outside playing on the fields.

For teens, POP is probably best unless they are very active in sports, in which case I'd recommend sports.

For adults traveling without kids, ASMu is the quietest of the Value resorts, mainly because the atmosphere isn't as appealing to most kids as movies, sports, or POP.

I have to tell ya - I LOVE All-Star Movies. If you request a room in Fantasia, you won't have hardly any walk.

Since we stay at the park all day long, we're hardly ever in the room anyway - not much point in paying the extra $$ IMHO, so we always stay in Value and visit the other resorts that look interesting on a day we aren't using our park passes. :wizard:

minnie61650 said:
I love the All Star Resorts.
minnie...i just wondered what pool the pic. in you signature is from? it looks so cute and i love the kiddie movie pool you posted..i have been looking for a cute kiddie pool( so what if the adults in our group want the mods...it's all about the grand baby :rotfl: ) and can't find one except at the values. do you happen to know what the other all stars have by way of kiddie pools?

i know the goofy thing at pop was so cute and the little ones seemed to love it.

I stay at the Values all the time.

The rooms are a bit smaller than the mods, and there are no sit-down restaurants, but the Values all have great food courts, nice pools, and beautiful theming.

My personal fave is Music, because it is quiet and peaceful. I like to stay in the Broadway section, which is very far from the bus stops and food court; I don't care, though, because I always have a car, so I prefer being close to the parking lot.

jann1033 said:
minnie...i just wondered what pool the pic. in you signature is from? it looks so cute and i love the kiddie movie pool you posted..i have been looking for a cute kiddie pool( so what if the adults in our group want the mods...it's all about the grand baby :rotfl: ) and can't find one except at the values. do you happen to know what the other all stars have by way of kiddie pools?

i know the goofy thing at pop was so cute and the little ones seemed to love it.

The pool which is in my signature is at All Music. All star Music is located between All Star Movies and All Star Sports so its easy walk from any of the All Stars.

The kiddie pools at Music and Sports are just basic wading pools.
I really like the kiddie pool at Movies the best.

THe mods do not have themed kiddie pools either.

I have stayed at POP before and I am heading back there in June. We really enjoyed the trip and the room. We really want to stay at Coronado one day but we are saving that for a trip where it is just DW and I. I highly recommend POP though. Even according to most of the people that I have talked with that have stayed at both of them, they prefer POP as well. But you are right. Any way you look at it, you are still staying at Disney.

Just my opinion, but if my DH wanted a mod. and I could afford it, I would totally go with a mod. When I make DH happy, he always makes me happy! (And I would want a mod. over a value any day). :banana:

minnie61650 said:
The pool which is in my signature is at All Music. All star Music is located between All Star Movies and All Star Sports so its easy walk from any of the All Stars.

The kiddie pools at Music and Sports are just basic wading pools.
I really like the kiddie pool at Movies the best.

THe mods do not have themed kiddie pools either.
\

Thanks and is it considered pool hopping to use say musicpools if you stay at movies? are they all one resort or 3 is i guess my question...not sure how far apart the all stars even are i guess.

tophee99 said:
Ok, so I am trying to maybe plan a trip to Disney in late September (with the new free dining plan that just came out). DH wants to stay at a MOD, preferably the POFQ.....and it looks just wonderful. However, for the $$ we would save by staying at a value resort, I thought it should be something we consider. So, please share your advice and experiences, and what would you do VALUE or MOD :confused3

I figure overall.........either way is great.....it's DISNEY!! :cheer2: Tophee

since you are gettting the free dining, it wouldn't cost much to stay at a mod this time if you want to try one. but imo only having stayed at 1 value, pop, i didn't see anything wrong with it. but to me a resort is mostly someplace to sleep. pop has a lot of cute features, i do think the values in general seem a little more geared towards younger families. i like the landscaping and fridges in the mods but really think you don't go wrong staying at a value either. they are still nice, just a little smaller room, no hot tub or slide in the pool ( but at least at pop the pools are "cute")and not quite so gardenly grounds. i'd stay where your money takes you, who wants to pay for a trip after it's over :rotfl2:

jann1033 said:
\

Thanks and is it considered pool hopping to use say musicpools if you stay at movies? are they all one resort or 3 is i guess my question...not sure how far apart the all stars even are i guess.

The All Stars are sister resorts . They are all in easy walking distence of each other.
All Star Music is located between All Star Sports and All Star Movies.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

astar3.jpg

All Star Sports pool.

asm_pool2.jpg

All Star Music Donald pool.

asmv20.jpg

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

asmv30.jpg

All Star Movies kiddie pool.

jann1033 said:
\

Here are the maps of the All Star Resorts.
All Star Music is between All Star Sports and All Star Movies.

allstarmap.jpg

allstarmovie.jpg

jann1033 said:
thanks minnie

My pleasure.
Have a great time at Disney with your grandbaby.
We took dd,dsil and our grandson age 3 last October to All Star Movies.
He had such a great time. He loved the pool and keeps asking if he can go back to Disney World and go swimming in ""Donald's pool."
Yes, it is all about the grandchildren!"

Please vise my thread about the new suites at All Star Music. It also has lots of general info about the All Star Resorts.
Feel free to post a comment.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409

Thanks!

Well I just talked DH into WDW again this year. He had wanted to do something different this year since we've gone the past two years in a row. But w/ the free dining and all and EE he's like a kid again. Anyway we're thinking we'll fly down again this year and stay value instead of a mod. But is it hard to go back to a value after staying at a mod? We want to stay somewhere different so that leaves the All Stars. Our kids are 5 & 10 which would you recommend? :wave2:

ktink said:
Well I just talked DH into WDW again this year. He had wanted to do something different this year since we've gone the past two years in a row. But w/ the free dining and all and EE he's like a kid again. Anyway we're thinking we'll fly down again this year and stay value instead of a mod. But is it hard to go back to a value after staying at a mod? We want to stay somewhere different so that leaves the All Stars. Our kids are 5 & 10 which would you recommend? :wave2:

I've never stayed at the All Stars, but POP is great. I made five trips last year staying in deluxe, mods, and value and enjoyed all five. In January 2005 I did a split stay at WL and AKL. I went back in May and did a split stay at POP and Boardwalk Villas (on rented points). In Sept I took my son and D-I-L and we stayed the entire time at POP (with free dining). In Dec I took my mom and we did a split stay at POFQ and Coronado Springs. Two weeks after I got back I took my 9 y/o GD down and we stayed at POP. All five trips last year were great and now (thanks to the free dining) I'm thinking about making a trip this year in Sept and if I do, it will be a budget trip to POP. As great as WL, AKL, Boardwak, POFQ, and CS were, my trips to POP were just as great. It's such a cute resort, the staff are so friendly and helpful, and besides it's the only place I've received towel animals. How much time do you spend in your resort anyway?

i have only stayed at 1 and it was ASSP i would choose it again over the other all stars dure to the bus transportaion-we were picked up 1st -it makes a big difference-by the time we got to the other all stars it was standing room only
my 2nd choice would be POP - they dont share busses ( at least i dont think they do )
i think next time i stay in a value i would choose value because my son likes those sprinklers that come out of the ground and pop has them
im not sure-i have swan booked in august but may change to pop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter