• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which to chose?

Originalether

Earning My Ears
We're planning on heading back in about a year.

On our previous 3 trips (with the kids) we've stayed at moderate resorts. As far as my wife knows, we are considering another moderate (Coronado Springs - haven't been there yet), or Wilderness Lodge.

What I am trying to do is surprise her by staying at Coronado Springs the first 3-4 nights, then switch and stay at either the Contemporary or the Polynesian for the final 2-3 nights.

Which would you chose?
Since the Contemporary appears to be a little cheaper, I would probably stay there either one more night (compared to the Polynesian) or get a more expensive room (i.e. Magic Kingdom view).

Or, is switching rooms a major nuisance, meaning I'm better off in the Wilderness Lodge?

At the time of the planned trip, our kids will be 8 and 5.

Thanks.

That's an awful lot of switching if you choose 3 different resorts for a one week vacation. Personally, I'd go with CSR at first, then switch to WL. WL is about as nice as Poly, IMO, and costs a whole lot less money. It's not on the monorail, but the boat trip to MK is very nice. Finally, even though I don't like moving even once while on vacation, this limits you to one move.

Nah, I was only planning 1 switch. Agree that 2 switches over the course of a week would be crazy.

One of the appeals of the Contemporary, to me, is it's convenience to the Magic Kingdom. From what I've read, you can walk to it. But if the boat from the Wilderness Lodge is almost as convenient, then....

Thanks.

I'll add a third option: just stick with the Moderate, save the money, and put it towards spending the full week or longer at a Deluxe when we go back again in 2015 or 2016 (likely to have to be in the summer)?

IMO, the CR is no more convenient for MK than WL. It is not a terrible walk, but it's a good 10 minutes at even a brisk pace, or 15 minutes at a pace like mine. I'd rather walk less than 5 minutes to the WL boat dock, wait a few minutes, then get on a 15 minute, scenic boat ride to MK.

It's true you can ride the monorail around from CR to MK, but that involves stops at TTC, the Poly, GF and finally MK. The monorail also tends to have slowdowns and sometimes stoppages these days, due to crowds and age of the system.

Finally, though it's a matter of individual taste, I much prefer the theming of WL, even though it usually costs a little less than CR. The Poly has awesome theming as well, but it has gotten outrageously expensive for us recently.

As for that third option, that's completely up to you.

I think what you're saying is that you'd:

1. Stay at CSR (3-4 nights) and then switch to Poly (2 nts) or CR (3 nts) for a couple of nights; or
2. Stay at WL for the whole time.

We've stayed at all of those resorts, except for CR. While I love Poly, due to how they've set up the bathroom/sink, I wouldn't choose that resort for 4 people. I've done it with 2 people and that worked; 4 would be harder.

I have done split stays and they aren't really that much of a problem, but I really prefer staying at one resort for the entire time. That way you don't lose time packing, moving, and not being able to get a nap in the early afternoon (not necessarily for your kids). I thought WL was a lovely resort. I much preferred that to CSR.

I would choose the CR over WL for convenience anyday. Don't get me wrong, I truly love the WL but it is not even close in terms of convenience. The walk to the MK is so easy. It's an easy walk, 7-10 minutes at most, never breaks down, no waits in line, no "we just missed the boat, monorail, or bus". Also, the monorail to Epcot is nice too. Theme wise, I prefer the WL but convenience of the CR wins for our family.

That being said, CSR is lovely and I would gladly stay there for a week as well if you decide against a split stay.

Go for the split! I love split stays - the chance to experience new environments, new restaurants, etc. I love both Poly and CR, but if you can squeeze in one more night by staying CR, go for it. What a nice surprise! Split CSR/CR or CSR/Poly - you can't go wrong!

We've walked between MK and CR several times (never stayed, just had brunch at Chef Mickey's a lot) and it was no more than 5 minutes walk for us between the front gate and Chef Mickey's.

You might also look into the Swan/Dolphin. They run great specials and you can also book on points through the Starwood American Express.

I would choose CR for the convenience. Although we like WL too you have access to the Poly and GF as well, so there are more options for you and you can always take the boat over to WL from the CR. Have a great trip whatever you decide!

I vote wilderness for the whole stay. We spent 8 days there last Jan. And cannot wait to return. The boats were very convenient. And relaxing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter