Which should we try next?

DCPhotoGal

Photographer and Mom to 2 Princesses
We have already been on ABD Scotland and ABD Ecuador and Galapagos. We have Peru and Wyoming booked for this year. I have already done South Africa (on our own but a very similar itinerary to ABD). My girls will be 12 and 13 years old in 2017. Any suggestions on what to try next?

China or SE Asia for something totally different?
Norway I think would be awesome. We did Norway on DCL last year, but hit many of the ABD spots. Absolutely incredible scenery!
Italy? My favorite country anywhere.

@Cousin Orville Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking I wanted to do the new Montana trip, but the more I look at it, I like the first half (Yellowstone) but the second half on the dude ranch just doesn't seem like my thing. So the only other trip I'd been considering was China (looking at the mid-October trip). I'm just looking for encouragement, I guess, since it's such a long trip, and so far away. What do you think?

Sayhello

@Cousin Orville Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking I wanted to do the new Montana trip, but the more I look at it, I like the first half (Yellowstone) but the second half on the dude ranch just doesn't seem like my thing. So the only other trip I'd been considering was China (looking at the mid-October trip). I'm just looking for encouragement, I guess, since it's such a long trip, and so far away. What do you think?

Sayhello
I think you need to go in June 2017 :) That's when we are going to book!

Oh! Well there is that. Although I hear the weather is MUCH better in October. But a chance to travel with you guys is definitely a good option. I wonder if the Early Booking discount is still good for that date? Are you *sure* you're booking that one? :D

Sayhello

Last edited:
I can't comment on adventures by Disney trips since we haven't done any. But we have been to all the places you mentioned. I agree Greece would be great and of course anywhere in Frsnce or Italy. But you might also consider a week at a dude ranch. Your girls would have such a blast. We have been going to a ranch one week a summer for about 24 years now. We started when my daughter was 6. She has Down syndrome and we have found places that treat her like the treasure she is. My husband went the first year and then decided not to go again. So it has become a trip for me, my daughter, sometimes my sister in law and niece, and my grandkids. My grand daughter who is 19 has gone every year since she turned 5 and loves it! My grandson is 14 and has gone since he is 5. We have been to three different ranches over the years and it is truly the best week you could have. You don't necessarily have to like horses. I love to ride but if you choose not to ride, there is hiking, hanging out at the pool, and many other things to do. It's a wonderful family trip where the kids have their own counsellors and group, the food is great, the people you meet can become lifelong friends (we have several people we met 24 years ago that we still see). The kids programs are so great, I literally do not see my grandson from the time he gets up until dinner. He is dirty, happy and tired.

Plus, like I do every year, you can add lots of other activities. The first ranch we went to for 20 years before it closed was in Oregon. We did the coast, the mountains, Portland, etc. then we started going to ranch outside of Durango which had so much to do. And just last year we found anther ranch an hour away from Rocky Mountain national park which we immediately fell in love with. Can't wait to go back in August.

I would second the China trip - it is my favorite ABD, and I think the itinerary changes they made improve it, starting in Hong Kong.
It depends too on what your girls like - the Central Europe trip has some great activities - more doing, less sightseeing. We are going to Norway this year, and it looks kinda sorta similar.

Sayhello

I think you should do China :D

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Montana trip. First half looks good. Last half is not my style.

And now with the chance to hit HKDL and Shanghai, how can you resist? I really had a wonderful time on the China ABD. There's probably no other ABD on which you see so many bucket list items. It's far, but it's well worth it.

We have already been on ABD Scotland and ABD Ecuador and Galapagos. We have Peru and Wyoming booked for this year. I have already done South Africa (on our own but a very similar itinerary to ABD). My girls will be 12 and 13 years old in 2017. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Italy and Germany were both fantastic adventures.

Oh! Well there is that. Although I hear the weather is MUCH better in October. But a chance to travel with you guys is definitely a good option. I wonder if the Early Booking discount is still good for that date? Are you *sure* you're booking that one? :D
Sayhell

ACK! We are doing China in 2018. Would love to travel with Californiagirl again and to finally meet and travel with Sayhello. Sadly, we don't have the vacation time with what we have planned already to do China next year so, it's going to be the year after. I do like the new itinerary! We booked for the August adults only in Italy next year.

I can't comment on adventures by Disney trips since we haven't done any. But we have been to all the places you mentioned. I agree Greece would be great and of course anywhere in Frsnce or Italy. But you might also consider a week at a dude ranch. Your girls would have such a blast.

The ABD Wyoming trip that we are doing soon has the dude ranch visit built in and my girls are very much looking forward to it :) I agree, that's a great idea for young girls. Mine have been doing horse camp the past couple of years and love time with horses.

Greece!!! Fabulous itinerary, amazing place, great trip!

Sayhello

My younger daughter is a huge Greek mythology fan and has been lobbying hard for the Greece adventure. Good to hear that it's a good trip!

China or SE Asia for something totally different?
Norway I think would be awesome. We did Norway on DCL last year, but hit many of the ABD spots. Absolutely incredible scenery!
Italy? My favorite country anywhere.

Those are all great suggestions, thanks! I have noticed that the "formula" for some of the Europe trips is similar, and I am hoping they won't be too much like our Scotland trip. I would really love to seeing Pompeii.

And now with the chance to hit HKDL and Shanghai, how can you resist? I really had a wonderful time on the China ABD. There's probably no other ABD on which you see so many bucket list items. It's far, but it's well worth it.

The China trip looks amazing but I have to admit I'm a little worried about the politics of going to China. I'm a professional photographer, and I remember vividly following the Facebook posts of a fellow photographer who traveled to China with her children and was detained for over a week by the Chinese authorities because they claimed that someone who was sitting near her on the airplane may have had an illness, and they needed to be quarantined. I wonder if going with a tour group reduces the potential for this type of thing?

The China trip looks amazing but I have to admit I'm a little worried about the politics of going to China. I'm a professional photographer, and I remember vividly following the Facebook posts of a fellow photographer who traveled to China with her children and was detained for over a week by the Chinese authorities because they claimed that someone who was sitting near her on the airplane may have had an illness, and they needed to be quarantined. I wonder if going with a tour group reduces the potential for this type of thing?

I remember hearing about a similar situation several years ago. The incident I read about was during the bird flu epidemic. Certainly there's a risk, albeit a remote one. I didn't experience any negative issues in Mainland China other than Facebook/twitter being blocked to which I've been known to be addicted... but there's a way around that ;)

I decided to spread move my Wyoming trip to 2017 so it won't be so close to our Peru trip (and saved a little money with the early booking discount). I will have a little time to mull over our next trip for late 2017 or summer 2018.

I think you should do China :D

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Montana trip. First half looks good. Last half is not my style.

Thanks, Cousin Orville! I agree with this. I'd talked myself into the Montana trip, and was happy about the short flights and no converters and such. But I just don't think I'll be happy with it. I've been eyeing that China trip for quite a while now, and the addition of Shanghai DL really is the icing on the cake. And with California Girl also going... I think it sounding better & better! Thanks!

Sayhello

Sayhell

We are all booked on the June 4th trip! Can't wait--so excited for this trip, although you are right about the weather. I'm bracing for VERY HOT. Keep us posted on what you decide. Would be so fun to travel with you!

ACK! We are doing China in 2018. Would love to travel with Californiagirl again and to finally meet and travel with Sayhello. Sadly, we don't have the vacation time with what we have planned already to do China next year so, it's going to be the year after. I do like the new itinerary! We booked for the August adults only in Italy next year.

What a bummer, we love traveling with you guys. I was hoping the itinerary might entice you to move China to 2017, but that darn work. Why does it always have to interfere with vacation plans? :) I'm sure Italy will be wonderful. What does 2019 look like? We'll have to compare notes LOL!

We are all booked on the June 4th trip! Can't wait--so excited for this trip, although you are right about the weather. I'm bracing for VERY HOT. Keep us posted on what you decide. Would be so fun to travel with you!
What a bummer, we love traveling with you guys. I was hoping the itinerary might entice you to move China to 2017, but that darn work. Why does it always have to interfere with vacation plans? :) I'm sure Italy will be wonderful. What does 2019 look like? We'll have to compare notes LOL!

Yeah work, I'm darned if I do and darned if I don't LOL 2019 is the year I turn 50 and we will be doing Africa. I don't know if we will go the ABD route but that is where my comfort level is at. I really want to see Victoria Falls. I saw Zoe's pics of the trip on FB and it looked awesome. I also asked Dusty (another ABD guide) what his favorite trip was and he said it was a tie between China and Africa. If they tweak the itinerary to add Victoria Falls then it is a done deal ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter