Which resort positions are "tipped" and therefore receive a sub-min. wage?

shellybaxter

Dis Veteran <br>Disney Restaurants for one hundre
I live in a state that doesn't have a sub-minimum wage so I was unaware until a little while ago that servers in restaurants weren't paid a regular minimum wage in Florida. Then I heard that it isn't just servers, but all "tipped" positions, which includes valet parking attendents. On a different thread I was informed that housekeepers, while tipped by many, aren't "tipped" positions at disney and receive regular wages. So who at the resorts don't receive regular wages? I think I am tipping all the right people all the appropiate amounts, but I want to make sure.

I hate this sub-minimum wage thing. I want to tip to show someone I appreciate them, not because I "have" to pay their salary.

Shelly

Servers, Valet, and Bell Services. I cant think of any other. Housekeepers are allowed to take tips, but most other positions are not.

ConcKahuna said:
Servers, Valet, and Bell Services. I cant think of any other. Housekeepers are allowed to take tips, but most other positions are not.

Bartenders are also tipped. I assume you included them as servers but other reading this thread might not realize that.

I think it's obvious, some resorts have a spa and/or beauty parlor. Those employees are also tipped.

somebody found this a while ago

pay per hour

Attractions: $6.80
Transportation: $9.15
Food And Bev $6.80
Characters: $6.95
Attendant $6.85
Magical Express. $7.50
Custodial: $6.80
Housekeeping. $6.80
Lifeguard: $7.40
Sales Merch: $6.80
Ticket Seller: $6.80
Vac Planner: $7.25

Disney encourages tips to valet, food & bev, bell services - but not to housekeeping - I have no idea why.

spiceycat said:

pay per hour

Food And Bev $6.80
Attendant $6.85
Magical Express. $7.50
Housekeeping. $6.80

Disney encourages tips to valet, food & bev, bell services - but not to housekeeping - I have no idea why.

Okay - so now I am confused. Disney doens't pay a sub minimum wage to it's servers? Then why is not tipping such a big deal? Don't get me wrong, I always tip, but others don't feel it is necessary and some people on these boards really treat them badly for it. If these figures are correct then servers don't "deserve" tips more than anyone else.

"Food & Beverage" above refers to those quick service cast members. Not your servers. They do get paid a "tipped" wage.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
"Food & Beverage" above refers to those quick service cast members. Not your servers. They do get paid a "tipped" wage.

Thanks for the clarification Tyler. That makes sense.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
that is correct. I work at one of the full-service restaurants and make less than 1/2 of that. :rotfl2:

Wow... ok... I am in Canada and I know the economy is different and everything. But, what is this "sub" thing?

in this country anyone in the food service can be paid less than the min wage.

lots of waitress/waiters only get pay $2 an hour - the rest they are surpose to learn in tips. There were some executives here who were unaware of this and didn't believe it. Finally one of their son's friend (in college) was working as a waiter and did convince them it was true.

I think it is also true of farm workers - of course they don't get tips....

spiceycat said:
in this country anyone in the food service can be paid less than the min wage.

Actually that's not exactly true. Some states preclude sub-minimum wage jobs. Servers and other tipped positions in California must be paid at or above $6.75 an hour - our minimum wage. That's way I don't understan which jobs are included

Shelly

geez, I made about $16 an hour when I was a unit secretary (and that was without differential for nights) before I finished nursing school and I was never as happy as ppl working at disney are. Is the cost of living that different in Florida that the jobs are so poorly paid?

I live in Los Angeles and just this morning on the news they were talking about this "sub" wage. Minimum wage here is $6.75 hr. My godson is in college in San Jose works as a waiter. He must share his tips with the bartender & the busboy. :confused3

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WAGE in Florida for a salesclerk at Macy's-WalMart & Winn Dixie?

Goobergal99 said:
geez, I made about $16 an hour when I was a unit secretary (and that was without differential for nights) before I finished nursing school and I was never as happy as ppl working at disney are. Is the cost of living that different in Florida that the jobs are so poorly paid?

No, the cost of living here is very high, thus many hard working Floridians (and Americans overall) are living well below the poverty level. Even on multiple jobs (I know people with three jobs), it's hard to get by. I make well under your $16 but consider myself lucky because my wage is a lot higher than most other hourly wage types in FL and I get benefits. (Which of course I pay for but at least they are available to me.)

Rantybaby said:
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM WAGE in Florida for a salesclerk at Macy's-WalMart & Winn Dixie?

Minimum wage in FL is $6.40 an hour. That was after a raise in January.

This is what the law is for 'tipped' employees:
For “tipped employees” meeting eligibility requirements for the tip credit under the FLSA, employers may count tips actually received as wages under the FLSA, but the employer must pay “tipped employees” a direct wage in an amount equal to the minimum wage of $6.40 minus $3.02 (which, as required by Florida’s Constitution, is the 2003 tip credit existing under the FLSA), or a direct hourly wage of $3.38 as of January 1, 2006.

The federal minimum wage is $5.15 an hour.

It's a pretty disgraceful situation all around.

My DD works at the Dolphin at the Cabanna Bar and Grill out near the pool. She is a server. Many times when she receives her PAYCHECK it is for $0.00. I believe that she is actually paid $2.00 an hour. I am not completly sure how it works but I do know that whatever "tip" she receives has to be put in the system somehow, then say the guest had ordered something from the bar also then out of her tip she has to tip out the bartender a certain % of her tip.

There have been times when I have talked to her that she has walked out with 50-100 $$ then other days when it is as little as $20.00. So these girls are making their $$ on their tips if it is a slow day she can be there for 8 hours and make 20.00 and the check really isn't adding to it in the end.

When Dh and I were at WDW in June she ws talking to us about it and how a girl she works with had worked "pool side " one day trhis poor girl had a couple who sat at the pool all day and had SEVERAL drinks from the bar...their bill was over $90.00 do you know what they tipped this girl????? $1.00 and out of that she got to "tip out" the bartender :confused3

Dh couldn't believe this and went on and on about how people treat servers there. I had to laugh because I work at Wal Mart and am allways telling him about some of the customers I have to deal with daily. How rude people are to people in "service" type jobs and NO I don't get tips. I am a Customer Service Manager and BOY do we hear it. He works construction he is a forman and yes he has to deal with contractors and such but he can yell back and what have you. When you work in a service position with the public you have to stand and take WHATEVER they dish out and smile the whole time or they tell management you are in a bad mood?????

So for all the people who work service jobs just step back and think a bit before you go off on them. I KNOW that most of the girls my DD works with are in COLLEGE and working to help ofset some of the $$ they need while away from home. Give them a break for the job they do, they ARE NOT making big money to take some of the stuff they take from SOME people who they wait on.

spiceycat said:

pay per hour

Food And Bev $6.80
Attendant $6.85
Magical Express. $7.50
Housekeeping. $6.80

As others have pointed out, tipped servers' wages start at half that $6.80 figure. Figure that valets and bell staff are paid a similar amount. Those three are the three that guests are expected to provide gratuities to: restaurant servers, valets and bell staff.

The one that really gets me on that list is Custodial: $6.80 per hour. That's the same as Housekeeping gets paid. :confused3 I feel that cleaning air conditioned hotel rooms, while difficult, is an easier job than cleaning up poo in hot and sticky theme park restrooms.

The one that really gets me on that list is Custodial: $6.80 per hour. That's the same as Housekeeping gets paid. I feel that cleaning air conditioned hotel rooms, while difficult, is an easier job than cleaning up poo in hot and sticky theme park restrooms

While I agree with this, I also wouldn't want to clean up somebody elses mess for any amount of money, which is why we always tip housekeeping.

I worked as a waitress/bartender for years. It amazes me how cheap some people are when it comes to tipping. On the other hand, WDW attracts many foreign guests. Don't European countries include the tip in the bill? Maybe that's why some WDW servers don't get decent tips - the guests don't realize the tip isn't included??

Letsbgoofy said:
While I agree with this, I also wouldn't want to clean up somebody elses mess for any amount of money, which is why we always tip housekeeping.
I hope you tip the custodians too!

Don't European countries include the tip in the bill?
In many cases, it is just rolled into the price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter